Author Topic: dogpatch usa  (Read 85767 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: dogpatch usa
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
One of the fellows I work with now told me a few weeks ago he was a DOGPATCH employee in the early 1970s. He worked rides and maintenance, and later portrayed several of the characters on the park over a few summers when he was in high school. His experience at a theme park was far different than mine. He says after a summer or two of pounding the streets in the hot summer time, working six and even seven days a week, he was through with theme parks when he left to pursue other interests. He mowed the steep hillsides along where the tram took visitors down to the park from the parking lots above on the mountain. He had to watch out for snakes while mowing and trimming, said they were a real problem there. He said he piloted the boats that carried passengers along the creek in the park, played characters in skits all over park, in general, did whatever needed to be done. That's the way it was in the early days at SDC, and even during my time, we cross trained at several attractions to go where we were needed. He speaks fondly about his DOGPATCH days to some extent, but said he would not go back to that type of work. He did work with the well known Richard Young...Richard played Earthquake McGoon at Dogpatch prior to moving to SDC in 1980. Richard is still employed with SDC, and last I heard works the line as an entertainer at the Opera House. Small world, ain't it? Ha!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
Was down around Harrison this weekend and drove down Hwy 7 to Dogpatch. Went atop the hill where the parking area and entrance was. Very, very, sad, folks. I read media accounts of how the property was cleaned up about three or four years ago. Man, I could not tell anyone had been doing anything with this property for a long, long time. Tried walking to the top of the little loading area where you used to take a hillside train/elevator down to the park but it was so dilapitated and grown up I could not see anything. So I drove on back down the mountain and followed Hwy 7 around the perimiter of the park, and it is in sad, sad, shape! Buildings are really in poor condition. I saw a few buildings that had sustained storm damage and had gaping holes in them. Vandalism is bad, too. No fence between the edge of the highway and the park in one place...you could have just walked on in and around. I was alone, so I dared not go anyplace that was posted as no trespassing, and I did not want to go in any buildings for fear of falling through a floor or something. It was obvious to me that a handful of people are living in some of the houses and facilities at the top of the hill where parking used to be. The Hub Motorcycle Bar is up there in an old Dogpatch/Marble Falls building, and there were a few scattered vehicles up there. Did not see any people, though. It was obvious a few people habitate the area around the park edge. I spent the weekend at a campground about three miles away and my wife and I attended a church function there. I slipped away for about a half hour to make a quick view of Dogpatch...very weird...a once thriving area that has been about completely abandoned. Drive by sometime all you old Dogpatch fans, and see the place...very different from all those years ago when thousands of people were at the park every day! :'(
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Brooks Blevins' Hillfolks: a history of Arkansas Ozarkers and their image has a whole chapter devoted to the history of Dogpatch and its downfall. It's a fascinating read.

T.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »
It is a shame for sure. I haven't been down in probably 4 years, and I wonder, with the court cases/trials etc. what has changed since I was there. I was there with some permissions, so I kicked around nearly every square inch of the place (that was fit for people to kick around!) and it was in rough shape then. The bridge, and tracks made it rough to get across to the other side of the falls, and many buildings had been gutted long ago, so other than the offices, not much was left in tact of the history, just an empty shell. I have hundreds of photos from that day, and I will remember it as an adventure...but I am sure the old parks days are numbered.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
I drive by Dogpatch at least every 6 weeks. It is continuing to decay. Makes me sad because I do remember good times there.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
reviving an old thread:  Dogpatch USA sold this week for 2 million to  Great American Spillproof Products.  No mention of future plans...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »
The company manufacters spill proof pet food bowls, and is apparently located somewhere in Arkansas.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make a tuperware-themed theme park.  ;D

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
The company manufacters spill proof pet food bowls, and is apparently located somewhere in Arkansas.

Or maybe we can get a "dog" friendly amusement park??

Bring your dog for a bark in the park at "Dogpatch USA". Enjoy spending time with your best friend as you walk through dog friendly shops, restaurants, and attractions.  :D

Jay

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »
Here's an article from NWAOnline and it does mention some of the plans for Dogpatch:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/aug/15/for-2-million-inventor-reels-in-dogpatc/

We drive by Dogpatch on a regular basis during our work related travels. Will be interesting to watch the clean up and development if it takes place.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
Saw and read the article today. An eco friendly park with shops, trout fishing and reintoduction of the mussel to an ozark waterway, plus, eventual location of the dude's pet bowl company...interesting concept, now we will see if it pans out.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
If you say so, Mr. Pelsor... :-\
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
I hope he restores and uses the hewn log buildings on the park. I seem to remember about a half dozen on park. They were used as prop houses for Mammy and Pappy Yoakam, Lil' Abner, and Daisy Mae, 2 for various shops, and Dogpatch Chapel. They were real log buildings used as homes, barns and so on in various locations in the Arkansas ozarks, repurposed for park use.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
Had a chance to roll by Dogpatch Saturday. Nothing being done there. The place is such a mess, so sad. Scenic Hwy 7 was nice to drive along. We wound up at Pruett's Landing on the Buffalo River, very beautiful. I stayed at a campground 1 mile from Dogpatch Friday night, and the lady who owns it said the motorcycle riders along Scenic 7 are the majority of her customers now. Back in Dogpatch days, her place was packed all summer and fall. Now, just on the weekends.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »
I finally had a chance to post photos of a September 2014 stop at the ruins of Dogpatch. Pretty sad, I think you will agree.  https://www.flicker.com/photos/juniordugan.