Author Topic: dogpatch usa  (Read 85763 times)

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
dogpatch usa
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
i went to dogpoatch in the early 90's. im looking for pix and video from around that time. if anyone can help please let me k now. thanx

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: dogpatch usa
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I always wanted to visit Dogpatch, but never could.  Here is a site I've found that shows the park as it now stands - closed and falling apart.  The links are interesting on this page, but I don't recommend following the example of the people on this site - it seems trespassing is illegal in some states.

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/dogpatch.html
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »
^That's a great set of photos, Dale!  It is sad to see it in such decay.  I have so many fond memories of that park as I visited in the late 80s until the last year it was open (1993).  Here are a couple of good links.

This first one is an extensive history (with photos):
http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/attractions/dogpatch.html

And the Wikipedia page is very informative with some good photos too (and some nice scans of old brochures).  It also has some other links you might enjoy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogpatch_USA

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:18:53 AM by sdcforever »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »
On my last visit to the Branson, I stopped in over by the old location for Sadie's Sideboard (on the Shepherd of the Hills Expressway) and to my surprise, the iconic statue of General Cornpone was hidden behind the store!!!! 

I took a picture of it and some guy came out and started asking me questions about my snooping.  He said his family still owns the Dogpatch property.  He could have been part of the Dunn, Spradley or Maland families that shared ownership before it closed.  The statue might still be sitting there.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »
On my last visit to the Branson, I stopped in over by the old location for Sadie's Sideboard (on the Shepherd of the Hills Expressway) and to my surprise, the iconic statue of General Cornpone was hidden behind the store!!!! 

I took a picture of it and some guy came out and started asking me questions about my snooping.  He said his family still owns the Dogpatch property.  He could have been part of the Dunn, Spradley or Maland families that shared ownership before it closed.  The statue might still be sitting there.

It probably is still sitting there.  As I remember it was moved to that location last fall.  The statue has been there for a while.

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
it's been there for at least 4 or 5 years.  They were supposed to fix it up, and do somethig with it, but what, I don't know.  It's sad to see it just falling apart on a trailor out behind a building.

I didn't know Sadie's used to be there.  I always thought it was where it is now.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »
I could be (and probably am) mistaken about the Sadie's Sideboard location.  It was right next to the little ampitheater there on S.H. Expressway.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
is the statue still there?

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:49:56 PM »
it was in the middle of May.  I'm sure it is.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 10:34:30 PM »
ok i know where soth express way is but where exactly is this statue, and ill look the next time im down there

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:20:11 AM »
it is behind a place that is called Tumblin Tumbleweeds, at 3099 Shepherd of the Hills Expressway.  This is the website... http://www.tumblintumbleweeds.com/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:21:15 AM by adairmd »

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »
ok i know that place. thanx alot

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »
Bringing up an oldie...but a goodie.

I know with all the legal troubles DogPatch is going through that It will be some time before it is open for ANYTHING, but I thought I'd post a bit of what I bought yesterday at a flea market to add to my collection.

I think I spent $1.75 on these total...

reverse of the statue

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
By The Way- the Jubilation T. Cornpone Statuefrom the p/c now resides behind a fence at the afore mentioned location within this thread. I went and took pics last week, and the owners came out, but went back in after seeing I was not causing a disturbance, and more than likely I am not the only weirdo to take pics in their backyard!!

Here it is last weekend...

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26:37 PM »
^You find all the bargains!  So many memories growing up visiting Dogpatch USA.  I really hope it reopens someday, and doesn't remain defunct. :'(