Author Topic: dogpatch usa  (Read 85762 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: dogpatch usa
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
Though I am not as informed as Tinman about it, I have kept up with the park since 2006, and it is a shame what has happened. For anyone that has looked into it as we have, this seems to be a bad deal for DP and its' owners. This "nail in the coffin" seems to be fueled by the media, which goes back to who is actually holding "all the cards" in that area. It is unfortunate of the accident, he should not have been on the property on the ATV and it is unfortunate of his pain and suffering, BUT it is just wrong that those with the power in the area( the family of the kid) are heard more than those who own the land. I am not a lawyer, but I just hate to see someone get a raw deal like this....I am getting down off my soapbox now >:(

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
According to an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today 4-12-10, the quality of water in the Buffalo River has been deemed OK. This follows a state investigation into the leakage of an old DOGPATCH sewer station now used by the citizens in the Marble Falls, AR community. You can read in previous posts on this thread about the concern officials had about waste water from the sewer station getting into a creek that flowed into the Buffalo River. A water ecologist for the National Park Service is quoted in the article as saying "everything is well below state standards," regarding E. coli bacteria contamination commonly found in human and animal waste. WHEW! If you have ever been to the Buffalo River, you know what a gem it is in the National Park Service system. It was deemed the first national river, and is beautiful for a float trip or picnic site. Take your family sometime, you will really enjoy it!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 05:41:27 PM »
I have to agree with you Junior about the Buffalo National River...anywhere on the river (although I prefer the Ponca area) is the perfect place to relax!

I drove up to the Dogpatch property last year while on a camping trip...it's very surreal, like you've stumbled upon an abandoned civilization.  So much is still just sitting there, rotting away.  I remember going there when I was five years old, but nothing specific.  The creek and trout pound could be beautiful if they were maintained, and it's a shame the property is just wasting away.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
Not much of merit to add here, but I went canoeing in Buffalo River a long time ago. I loved it.  ;D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

ghosthost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
I am just in awe on pic of abandoned parks how they just leave things to rot.  Rides that could be sold off to settle debts, along with other things.  If your gonna just walk away, the cty government should level the remains.  SFNW in the 9th district is just sitting there. Rotting. 

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:37 AM »
Not much of merit to add here, but I went canoeing in Buffalo River a long time ago. I loved it.  ;D
I was a freshman at Arkansas Tech 1981-82. The big buzz was that students could take a basic Military Science (ROTC) course and receive credit for the mandatory PE class. Let's face it: go canoeing on the Buffalo and participate in Escape & Evasion at Fort Chaffee, versus bowling or tennis, is a no-brainer.

I wound up changing majors, and graduated with a minor in MS and a reserve commission as a lieutenant of Field Artillery. I served three years active duty in Germany, thanks to that opportunity to float the Buffalo.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 07:59:24 AM »
Sad news from Arkansas...That old Dogpatch sewer station that was causing trouble leaking into tributaries of the Buffalo River a few months ago is doing it again! This time the E Coli bacteria level is high enough to warrant putting warning signs up along a section of the Buffalo River National River.  :o  A temporary pump installed at Marble Falls in Feburary stopped raw sewage from getting out of the old Dogpatch sewer station, but The Arkansas Democrat Gazette is reporting today that bacteria levels sometimes still exceed acceptable levels. Swimmers in the vicinty are at risk, boaters should be OK because they aren't in the water. The section at Mill Creek is where the trouble is. Testing continues on water samples. :'(
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
What will they do if the problem continues? 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
Probably shut down the problem treatment station at Marble Falls, which will then leave a few dozen residents without proper wastewater facilities. Nobody living in the vicinity of the facility has money to make the repairs...or at least nobody is volunteering to pony up any cash. In the end it will probably be the state of Arkansas or the Federal government that will pay for the fix.I wish somebody would get up off their butt and do it, cause the thought of Buffalo River getting polluted is horrible.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
Every new problem unfortunately is like another nail in the coffin. Not much room left for more nails either....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
Headline today in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette reads "Repairs aren't keeping waste out of Buffalo, state threatens to shut water, fine district until leaks repaired." The sewage leaks continue from a  waste treatment plant that was built and used initially for the defunct DOGPATCH USA theme park. Dye will be used to trace the path of sewage not reaching the community treatment plant. If the dye reaches streams, it proves high levels of E coli bacteria in streams feeding the Buffalo River is a direct result of the treatment plant problems.  The levy of fines and shutting down of the plant could result...this would leave residents of Marble Falls without modern facilities. Doing nothing means the Buffalo is threatened. An official says the old pipes are crumbling and the treatment plant needs to be replaced. Project estimated at $900,000. Less than $100,000 is available to the water district.  Warning signs are in place along a small section of the Buffalo River, alerting park visitors to the troubles of E coli bacteria in the vicinity. People are advised to stay in boats, and not swim in that section.  :'(

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »
Great times here. I picked this up yesterday at the local flea market in a group of 4 AR/MO postcards for $1.00

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
I like it. It is the first postcard I've seen without the West Poke Chop Speshul train bridge from Dogpatch days above it.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
From remembering how it was last time I was there, I think this was taken from below the train bridge. The upper portion of the falls does not have the same brickwork/ management system in place (the bricks, as well as the Po'k Chop Express can be seen in some photos at the following site:
http://www.albertsplace.com/dogpatch.html

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
I barely remember going to dogpatch when I was a kiddo. I only remember cuz I caught a fish and took it up to the resturant and they cooked it with the head on. I hated that. And thats all I really remember. Sad huh?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!