Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 723782 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1755 on: January 16, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
So I am excited that they are testing. And in 30 degree weather to boot! Now does the temperature really make a difference when no one is riding? Or does temp mess with how it runs?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Thunderation

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 16, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
When can we expect to see pictures or videos of testing.
You have a great past ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1757 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
^^Yes, the tempurature effects the ride's performance.  If it is too cold then things can expand, just like when it is too warm the polyurethene wheels can melt.  Science is so much fun. :)
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
I would think it's a matter of materials condensing in extreme cold, but essentially the same principal. Basically, the shape of the track, wheels and such changes if the temperature drops enough. 

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
I would think it's a matter of materials condensing in extreme cold, but essentially the same principal.
It depends on the material. Rubber expands when cold, and contracts when heated.

Lubricant viscosity is going to be the big difference in performance when it's cold.

The SDC Facebook page today did report the rumor, making it an official rumor, that trains have made complete test runs.  :)

mammalone

« Reply #1760 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
Oh man, I think they are putting the humans on the trains today. I wish it was me! Anyway, I may have a rider report later on.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
Mammalone, source for your info? Are  you a current citizens, or is someone you know? Are you getting this stuff from an outside source?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
yes please, more details...  live humans on Outlaw??!!! 

OH MY!!!

55 days, 22 hours,,,,,,,,

mammalone

« Reply #1763 on: January 18, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
Hey Junior, no I'm not a citizen. Someday maybe! I just happen to have a buddy who has been working periodically on the project.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
If testing is truly underway, this seems like another missed marketing opportunity for SDC. In no way am I trying to bash the park. But given the buzz this project has generated, and knowing how much it's opening is being anticipated, I cannot understand why they wouldn't be promoting every possible new detail about the ride. When the trains arrived, why didn't they post a gallery on the ride site, or their own FB page? If I was running the park, I would have already posted video of the first train to complete a circuit. Show the world the train running from various angles around the ride. Unless it's all just rumored, or something isn't going according to plan, I just don't get why they wouldn't leverage the opportunity to continue the marketing momentum during the slowest period of year. 

Hollwood

« Reply #1765 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
I have a hard time believing that they are allowing anyone to ride OR when they just put the trains on less than a week ago. Maybe a RMC guy but I even doubt that. They will need to do extensive water dummy testing to ensure the G-forces and ride elements are within limitations before allowing anybody to ride. Sorry, but without actual proof of ridership I can not accept this as fact.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1766 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
Mammalone, source for your info? Are  you a current citizens, or is someone you know? Are you getting this stuff from an outside source?

she/he is the "wife" of one of the RMC people.  she/he however gets mad when you call her/him out on it so I won't do that because she/he makes quite the scene on here when I do that... so just ignore this post
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
If testing is truly underway, this seems like another missed marketing opportunity for SDC. In no way am I trying to bash the park. But given the buzz this project has generated, and knowing how much it's opening is being anticipated, I cannot understand why they wouldn't be promoting every possible new detail about the ride. When the trains arrived, why didn't they post a gallery on the ride site, or their own FB page? If I was running the park, I would have already posted video of the first train to complete a circuit. Show the world the train running from various angles around the ride. Unless it's all just rumored, or something isn't going according to plan, I just don't get why they wouldn't leverage the opportunity to continue the marketing momentum during the slowest period of year. 

I don't see it as a missed opportunity, but one that keeps the "mystique" going.  And, if there were any big problems, I would think they would want to keep that undercover until everything is running smoothly. 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: January 18, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
I have a hard time believing that they are allowing anyone to ride OR when they just put the trains on less than a week ago. Maybe a RMC guy but I even doubt that. They will need to do extensive water dummy testing to ensure the G-forces and ride elements are within limitations before allowing anybody to ride. Sorry, but without actual proof of ridership I can not accept this as fact.

The extensive testing has to be completed before opening to public. I'm not sure if you know, but there have been several people who have riden The Voyage in the new timberliner trains........but it was never open to the public because testing didn't allow that to happen. Just because full testing isn't complete, doesn't mean human riders can't ride.

Jay

mammalone

« Reply #1769 on: January 18, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Employees started riding yesterday. I did hear just a little feedback: the lift is super fast. It apparently flies up that thing. Also that it seems like its over really quick. Of course we know how long it is.