Author Topic: Just Heard From The Dip n' Dots Guy!  (Read 5861 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Just Heard From The Dip n' Dots Guy!
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Okay, so I didn't really...but I've got to ask a burning question.   I've been part of the board for quite some time and I've always noticed that the "Dip n' Dots" guy is referenced on the Main Page.   I've searched the threads and still can't find this person and what rumors they may know.   ;D

Can maybe one of the original members solve the mystery of the Dip n' Dots guy?

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Just Heard From The Dip n' Dots Guy!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:04:27 AM »
Far as I know, it's making a joke about how people can hear rumors about upcoming projects at theme parks from various workers and spread those rumors around even though someone like a Dip 'n' Dots guy probably wouldn't be in the know enough to give them detailed information.

That's how I've always interpreted it, at least.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »
I always have loved how the "Ice Cream of the Future" is at the 1880's themed park...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
I know a lot of you love dippin' dots, even my grandson had TWO cups of the stuff when I took him in June, but sorry, I think the park management can do better than this. What's next? A&W Root Beer at the Saloon? Nike Shoes at the General Store? How about I-Pod sales at White River Mercantile? OK, I'm going a BIT FAR with that one! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
HEY! HEY! HEY! Junior,!!  whats wrong with a good ole mug of root beer at the saloon?   :o :o :o :o

I dont care for the dippin dots things.. ??? ???.    give me a couple of scoops of plain ole ice cream, maybe with a little root beer poured over it. ;) ;)  right junior.?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
I agree. I think the Dip N' Dots guy on the front page is just a play on ideas, rather than a specific person.

Regarding the detour, I think Dip N' Dots are fine at Silver Dollar City. As long as the concession stand is in theme, and the person working the concession stand is dressed in theme, Dip N' Dots is just ice cream. Nothing to lose sleep over. :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
I would rather buy the SDC Vanilla Ice Cream made on site. But I understand if kiddos want the "fun" ice cream.

I am a Root Beer afficianado.I have sampled literally over one hundred varierties, and I cannot pass up a new Root Beer without sampling it. Some are clearly better than others, and A&W is about middle of the road on my list. The brand was started in 1919, so officially it is an anachronism. Hires calls itself “America’s original root beer” because its originator, pharmacist Charles Hires, concocted a “root tea” and then a root beer he introduced at the 1876 U.S. Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Hires sold kits of dry extract so families could make root beer at home...Needless to say Root Beer fits the bill, and I'll drink A&W if there are no others there (please don't even attempt to sel Barq's or MUG those are even lower than A&W!)

On that note, White Rock-the Parent Company of the Sioux City brands (the sarsaparilla sold at the General Store) was started in 1871, although they sold spring water and other drinks... sarsaparilla and root beer were not on that list, they were added later. But I Love that brand just because of the memories of SDC from the (19)80's.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
Far as I know, it's making a joke about how people can hear rumors about upcoming projects at theme parks from various workers and spread those rumors around even though someone like a Dip 'n' Dots guy probably wouldn't be in the know enough to give them detailed information.

That's how I've always interpreted it, at least.

Perfect!  So at least I'm not crazy then!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
They don't serve Dr. Pepper there, do they? I can't remember. That would be in theme, since it started in 1885.

I don't mind Dip 'n' Dots being there. It'd be kinda cool if they came up with some fancy sign to put on the carts that introduces it as a "newfangled invention" or something.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
The Dip 'n Dots guy joke has been around for ages in enthusiast circles. I wasn't even aware they served it at the park.

It's not a completely un-serious joke though, how many of Dollywood's attractions have we heard of first from park employees mentioning something?

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
Nope.  They sell Mr. Pibb last time I checked.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
Doctor Pepper should count as a food group (at least for me)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
So I'm not alone!! Everytime I get ice cream somewhere else, like Cracker Barrel when I order pie, I always say "Not as good as SDC!"
My sister gets so mad at me (she's the kind of person who will spend $3 on 10oz of Dip N' Dots).
Blackberry ice cream is my favorite, and I refuse to get it anywhere but SDC!

I would rather buy the SDC Vanilla Ice Cream made on site. But I understand if kiddos want the "fun" ice cream.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
Everything tastes better at SDC, it's because of the people we are with and the surroundings we find ourselves in. SDC is one of those places where we enjoy ourselves more. Strong emotions...memories to last a lifetime.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
The Dip 'n Dots guy joke has been around for ages in enthusiast circles. I wasn't even aware they served it at the park.

It's not a completely un-serious joke though, how many of Dollywood's attractions have we heard of first from park employees mentioning something?

When Wildfire was being built I asked and heard details about it from one of the popcorn cart workers.
I'm Your Huckleberry