Author Topic: Your top suggestions on making the park even better  (Read 33203 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Your top suggestions on making the park even better
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
I know that Jack and Pete pay attention to what's going on with the park.  For just a little bit of perspective...while Mary was still with us, both of them were pretty active in the management and daily decision making processes, but after she passed, it seems that Pete's attentions were drawn more toward representing the park to the state politicos and tourism industry, while Jack's were more attuned to the daily operation of the park.  Because of that, and this is only my impression, it seems that Jack "feels it" more.  I've had conversations with him and been involved in others in which we've expressed concerns and he'll say "I hear ya fellas but it's out of my hands."  And that's just sad.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2011, 03:15:37 AM »
Zephon, the above statement shocks me. Jack, Pete and their mom created the company. I don't know how they have things set up of course, but it seems they should always be able to come to their board, management and so on, and say, "THIS is the way I want..." and get their demand, immediately. NOTHING should be out of their hands. NOTHING. It's their company.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
So, if Jack or Pete walk into SDC and say they want the dippin dots stand moved 5 ft. to the left....this would not be done or a telephone call to Georgia would have to be made?  That's a little hard to believe!  This is a video I found on Youtube with Jack speaking about a high rise development that he was against, but was ultimately passed.  It is kind of long if you would listen to all of it but Jack only starts speaking at about the 5:20 mark and speaks to the 11:20 mark.  I know he is speaking about a change that happened to SDC about 20 years ago, and is not relevant to what happens in the decision making at SDC today.  But the story of Gaslight Park at SDC is interesting when told by Jack.  Jack you will notice walks in to the room on crutches at the beginning of the video.

http://youtu.be/YCHC6fyy8kw

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »
Interesting video. Notice all he had to do was say his name? Didn't mention SDC until a little bit into his talk. I noticed the speaker in front of him did not get applause. I noticed Jack did. Yes, I think Jack still feels the passion. But I agree with the above post. Seems like if Jack or Pete saw something on park they didn't like, all they would have to do is say, "change that," and it would be changed. Seems sad to read the comment Jack made to Zephon some time ago. Jack is getting older and health problems are bothering him. How much longer will the passion live on?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
Yes, it appears the Herschend name holds a lot of respect in the Branson area, as well it should.  Kind of surprised the vote went against his wishes.  This video was from 2006 I believe, at least this was when the high rise proposal was voted upon.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
I still think the best way to make the park better, would be with the official SDCFans Advisory Committee -- "In The Spirit Of Miss Mary"!

You know how certain repressed nations have squads roaming around administering instant beatings and other summary punishment for violations? Yeah, kinda like that.  ;D

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »
dude, I can barely run across campus from class to class. Let alone running the hills at dollar city. Which would lead me to my next question........which is worse running up or down cardiac hill? They both pose their individual threats.

I always walk around passed Heartland Home Furnishings and passed the knife making shop so I don't have to worry about the hill that I swear is gonna get us all!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »
ohhh yes.  cardiac hill:  we always walk at an angle starting at johnsons place toward jacks sandwhich shop and then back towards the furnishings store,..

Really need a themed escalator!!!  LOL

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
Hey Sandune.....you're really not that old to walk up cardiac hill are you? I usually walk up it, but Bob  skirts up it at an angle. It's hard for flatlanders to get used to HILLS.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Interesting video. Notice all he had to do was say his name? Didn't mention SDC until a little bit into his talk. I noticed the speaker in front of him did not get applause. I noticed Jack did. Yes, I think Jack still feels the passion. But I agree with the above post. Seems like if Jack or Pete saw something on park they didn't like, all they would have to do is say, "change that," and it would be changed. Seems sad to read the comment Jack made to Zephon some time ago. Jack is getting older and health problems are bothering him. How much longer will the passion live on?
Are there any younger Herschend's who will see that the tradition of SDC carries on? 
Colorado SDC Fan

nancystclair

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
Back to topic...changes you'd like to see at the park...

My family, for one, REALLY misses having an in-house gospel quartet full-time at the park.  The girls of Pure Heart (and the Sons of the Silver Dollar, when they do gospel songs) do a great job, but we long for the days of being able to go see Chosen Few or the Cumberland Quartet lift up the name of the Lord several times a day in their shows.  The popularity of the Southern Gospel Picnic and the huge crowds the evening show draws during that time (as compared to the sorry crowds for the GAC evening show) should be a clue as to what people want to see.  I am very disappointed that that aspect has been removed from the daily schedule.  I know Dollywood has Kingdom Heirs as their in-house quartet and they always are very popular.  With all the great talent around, why can't we get another quality gospel quartet at SDC?

Another thing we have sorely missed is the show "Listen to the River" that used to be at the Opera House maybe 20 years ago.  That was an incredible show, honoring the faith and tenacity of the early Ozark settlers.  The "new" show, 'Headin' West' is OK, but greatly misses the mark when it comes to the faith/family aspect of the settlers.  Why give time (in the show) to the saloon girl "floozies" who put temptation in the way of the men who were heading west and fail to emphasize their dependence on God and the hardships they faced as a family?  Listen to the River was the best show the Opera House has ever done, IMO, and I'd love to see it brought back.  Maybe the powers that be see it as too 'politically incorrect' now, but it was classic SDC and something we always looked forward to seeing more than once a visit. 

Seems like the Opera House has been used very little this year, and even Riverfront Playhouse (I worked on park in the 70's/daughter worked on park this year).  Those venues were always the home to good quality shows, and now they sit basically empty except for a few festivals.  Is SDC so strapped for ideas or cash that they can't fill those theaters every day the park is open with something special?  IDK, but, along with the earlier comments about the old street shows and even 'spontaneous' crowd interaction (which I totally agree with), I'd love to see some changes in the shows....

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
that is a good point about the empty buildings. i noticed last weekend the RP was vacant.  thought maybe it was just the weekend. But i see on the schedlue it is vacant again this weekend..  you would think they could find a group to put in there.

I dont remember there being a group in there during OTC either? 

Too bad..

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
I dont know how to explain this, but here it goes..
We dont have have or make much money, we go on a very small budget. We consider ourselves as middle to lower class people. But what i dont see anymore at the park, is people that are less fortunate than all of us. You used to see them all the time. Maybe its just the way Life is these days i guess. I have discussed this with someone on this site & this person did make me feel better. But i just wish there was a way to get the less fortunate people to the park for a fun day, they would probably enjoy it more than all of us. Not to sound rude, but it just seems the lower class of people have been shoved out, rather its got to do with the times we are in, or not.
Heck, the reason i took my daughter & her boyfriend is because they really didnt have the money to go. He works with me, & she has no job, they went home from SDC with probably $70.00 to last for 2 weeks till they got paid. They made sure their bills were paid before we left. We helped them out alil' during our visit, its just sad to see things get so far out of reach for some people. Its almost out of reach for us anymore. My wife & i spent about $550.00 for our last trip, about half of that was the rent-a-car because we just dont wanna take our own cars.
All in a shell -- they need a free admission day for the less fortunate from like homeless shelters or anyone that cant afford it. How you would control that, i dont know.. Theres places out there though, i know alot'a people that dont have the money to go. One person is at our grocery store we go to, we had plans to take her but she had to work.  

Ok, i'm done venting.... Sorry..  
Live life like it's the last day!

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
That's how we used to use our baf passes. Bringing people that usually wouldn't be able to afford it. Pack lunches, etc.

However, it is getting harder and harder to make it there, that's why we personally haven't been in two years, finances. The prices of the passes are getting more and more expensive every year. When I first started getting a season pass, they were less then 20 dollars........

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2011, 06:05:15 AM »
I'm sorry you aint been in 2 years MagnoliaWhisper, i feel for ya....
I was homeless during part of the 80s & have never forgotten those times, thats why it bothers me so much to see these changes. I know the world is differant now & that will never change. I just dont worry about empty buildings & cases of coke sitting around the park when we go, we go & just enjoy. Its nothing against the park, its just sad.

I knew i shouldnt of opened this can of worms on myself....
Live life like it's the last day!