Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 273246 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #675 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
This has been quite the day for updates - we just got some new photos in of the demolition of Splash Harbor and Waterboggin: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=18

Splash Harbor is already a memory, and the Waterboggin is just a tower now. I wonder if they'll be able to re-use the tower for anything...

You need to fix some of your captions

Ah, stupid lightbox. Any photo without a caption seems to get it's neighbor's.  ::)

Good grief though, that's even more work than I thought was going on. SDC is going to be hard to recognize next year. Thanks for the updates tinmann, getting to see the inside of FITH is great!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 12, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
The park's going to look different, that's for sure! Thanks for all the new photos. I can hardly wait 'til the place opens up again.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 12, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
The pictures are great Tinnman.  Can't wait till the park opens.  Until they do something over where Splash Harbor was that back side of the lake will look naked.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:46:25 PM by oklaSDCfan »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #678 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:46 PM »
We just about need to split this thread into three separate threads:  Lake Silver Skyline, Riverblast, and Everything Else.

I don't particularly like the look of the "bridge" on the RB.  It appears they have installed plexiglass instead of wood, but I could be misreading the picture.

As for Apple Butter, I like the idea of sticking it in the basket cabin.  Still quaint, yet larger!

As for theming, it is absolutely what makes SDC successful.  Start sticking all kinds of junk in there, and the park is no longer unique.  Suddenly we have to compete with other parks.  As it is, people visit because of the unique theme.  Start losing the theme and we may as well start bungee jumping from that WB tower!  (And don't take that as a suggestion.)  In fact, proper theming may have made CC more profitable.  They tried, but didn't have the base to work with over there.  SDC has that theming foundation and ALL efforts must be to preserve the theme.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 12, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
I'm kind of confused by the whole Apple Butter thing, there must be more to it.  After all the moving & reconstruction Mary Herschend & her family had done, why couldn't this structure (and the TREEHOUSE!) be reconstructed to preserve SDC's history?  They're getting away from so much of the authentic look, such as hand painted signs.  Don't look too close, you'll see the nice pixels!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #680 on: February 12, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
^As a budding civil engineer, I can understand the difficulties the park must be facing at every turn when it comes to preserving such things. I completely understand the logistics of closing and taking down the tree house. There's no way they could have easily and cost effectively made that attraction wheel chair accessible, and the concept of having an attraction that you have to crawl across a tiny bridge to get into is just not workable these days (most of the kids are too fat anyway). As for the Apple Butter store, there were probably some ADA issues as well. Plus, it was practically a waddle and daub structure, very flamable, poor flooring, terrible inefficiency in heating in cooling, and it was pretty much in the way for new patrons trying to find Wildfire.

It does suck that so many of the small aspects are being lost, but I think come the start of the season we'll be blown away by how many little and large things have been added. I mean, remember all the fix ups we found last year? They actually got the ghost trap underneath the tree house operational again, among a million other little improvements. The theming is going to change with the times, but the character behind the park is still mostly there, and that's what's important.

ADA has been such a pain for this park though... I can't believe how little though was given to wheel chair disabilities just 30 years ago. Then again, wheel chairs were a lot smaller then, and the people usually more apt at getting around in them.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 12, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
I seem to remember that the treehouse had to be braced better once in the early '80s. I'm glad they were able to make it last as long as they did. I was disappointed when I saw that it was closed the last few visits I'd made to the park. But I understand the handicapped accessible thing, and the overall age of the structure. From what I saw though in the new pictures posted was that it was still standing as of this week. When will it come down? Any insiders know what will take it's place there?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
SDC Facebook page says there are changes coming to FITH, Any info on this, I know at least 1 of you has beent hrough it and has pictures to show for it.
I would love to tour that.  I would be happy to see the old broken track scene return, the little dip adn turn, it was a fun moment.
Any insiders info to the hinted changes?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #683 on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »
I thought this was covered somewhere in one of these threads.  Basically it is a freshening up of the ride.  Some of Baldnobbers will be moved around, new threads, new paint - that type of stuff
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
They are adding robots with lasers

Actual live ammunition will be fired from the baldknobbers to make the experience more exciting.

And live, venomous snakes will be dangling from the ceilings throughout.

sdcforever

« Reply #685 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
^Don't forget the flamethrowers that engulf the trains in flame as you pass by the burning buildings. ;)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 15, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »
They're really going all out for the anniversary!  (though straying from theme just a bit)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #687 on: February 15, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
They are adding robots with lasers.

Yes, robot sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads.  Muwahahahaha
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 15, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »
That's funny! The insider info I heard was that they were mounting pistols on the cars like at the Flooded Mine so you could SHOOT them danged Baldknobbers, and also were mounting water cannons from RiverBlast on the FITH cars so you could help put our the fire! Maybe I was misinformed. ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #689 on: February 15, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
Speaking of FITH though, I was looking through tinmanns photos again and I saw how they were working on the wheelchair access/fireman's office area. Are they re-routing the queue through there? It seems like it would make some sense to try to wrap it around more inside rather than having this huge crowd on one side.