Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159963 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
Great trip review jmc75!

I agree that silver dollar sized pancakes at Silver Dollar City just seems more appropriate. However, I am sure they could add say a “lumberjack size” pancakes too if they wanted to give their customers options.

I am glad to hear that Bear Hollow is a big success with the young ones. That store, and location have gone through many changes throughout the years, so it is nice to know the building is serving well.

The Flooded Mine is a great stop either before, or after the train ride. I have never noticed that prisoner you mentioned, but I will definitely keep my eye out for him.

It sounds like you, and your family had a terrific visit, and I know your three year old made some great memories.

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and by the way I have only ever noticed the train using four cars. Not to say they don't use more, or less cars depending on the need.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
After that headed over toward GG and spent about an hour over there for my son to run around. Seemed all was working and in decent shape. My only gripe is parents with older kids that just let them run loose with no concern for the little ones. Had one issue my son was playing with one of the vacuum hoses and a older kid came over and tried to take it away. Maybe I am just being over protective put if you have a older kid just make sure they are not running over the smaller ones.

I agree that GG can become chaotic. My wife & I do not have children yet, but we have taken our 6 year old Niece to GG, it always makes us very nervous. She loves playing in there though!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Headed to the City again today. Weather was very good looked like rain had missed us in the morning. As usually had breakfast at the mill was very happy that the fact taht we got there at 10:30 that the food was still hot and fresh and good amounts. Normally do not find that at buffets if they only have a half hour to serve.
Park was a little crowded was not to bad. Went down to see the dinasour was a little disappointed there was only one but the one was there was very cool with the movements and sounds.
After that went over to the measuring station a like how they do that now and put your phone number on the wrist band just in case.
After that rode the little roller coaster twice. I will mention one interesting incident. Had a couple of kids who went on it who were way to old to be on that ride after they got off they complained about that it needed to go faster. The ride operator mentioned that if they wanted to go faster they should go on something bigger the the kiddie rides. Just thought that was funny.
Then was heading to FIH but mad a quick stop at HDH which there were hardly any kids there but my son must have ran thru the cages a least a dozen times and really enjoyed it. Maybe it will do a little better then I thought. Saw Terry Sanders he was doing one of the story telling there unfortunately only one or two kids seemed interested.
After spending some time there made it to FIH, line was long but went quick, was once impressed how they work with you so well to get your whole group on the same train. Also as we were in the ride when we go to the Red Flanders scence probably have the car stared the dialouge at the same time and when we got done everyone cheered I just this was great. Granted my wife just thought I was nuts.
After that headed over to GG I kinda looked around a little more this time and to me it seemed that they have donesome touch up and other repairs that it does not looked as worn since I last saw it.
I tried to once again to convince my son to go onto Lost River but would not so I went ahead and rode it line was not very long got quick and got soaked it was great. Will have to keep working on him.
After that after pleading by him rode FM again this time I just started to look around more and see if I could spot anything new. I will add from my last post I mentioned a prisoner that popped up at the top Left corner before you go thru the entrance way into the scene with the prisoner climbing the rope. This time I noticed that his eyes light up not sure if this a target or just glowing eyes. Also found that you need to be in one of the first three cars to see him otherwise he is already down.
After convincing my son it was time to do something else we had heard they were shuting down the rides becuase of weather so we figured this was a good time to head back.
All and all I say it was a great day at the city and had lots of fun

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »
We had a great time in Branson June4-17. We spent every day at SDC. Most of the time we spent at the Homestead listening  and visiting with the Pickers, Aunt Judy, Jack and John. We always bring a good supply of Wisconsin Cheese to the Homestead. I did catch Cedric and the Cajun Connection and they were good as always. Saw Nik Wallenda hang from the helicopter from the road to the city as we had to go to our motel (Eagles Lodge/Homestay Inn) to get our big cooler to transport pies from SDC to a benefit at the Hillbilly Bowl in Kimberling City for Charlie Bowden (who used to work inSDC). They had all traffic stopped while the copters were in the air.We didn't go an any rides, just lazed around and drank a lot of ice water. When we left home we had frost, so it was a shock to our systems to be in hot and humid weather.Can't wait to get back down to Branson in Sept.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 23, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
We just got home from our 2 week stint in Branson. We went to SDC everyday while we were there. We had a great time. We got to ride the rides as many times as we wanted, watched all the shows, watched the Nik Wallenda thing in Echo Hollow, and walked the park looking for "Where in the City?" possibilites. The Fabulous Wallendas were worth seeing and we watched the Stunt Dog show. The dog show was exactly the same as last year's show. Speaking of which, why can't these shows that are contracted for multiple years at SDC change up their shows from year to year? Also, while I love the Saloon Show and seeing the different actors do different parts, it would be nice if the show could also be changed from year to year. The GAC was basically the same also with a few different songs. Not trying to complain about our beloved SDC, but I'd also like to see the park go completely non-smoking or see some sort of requirement where people who do want to smoke have to go to outside the park boundaries maybe to the parking lot area. It gives me such a headache to smell the cigarette smoke. It seems especially bad down by the PowderKeg Area. I'm not a smoker and will never be one, and I mean no offense to people who do, but it is so offensive to go to the park and have to smell the smoke and get a headache from it. Anyway, our trip was great, the weather was nice, and we got our SDC fix for another year. It was nice meeting Sanddunerider, we got pictures with Terry Sanders and Whoopsey Daisey (Terry gave us some buy one get one free tickets to Sheperd of the Hills, and we convinced Roach (used to work at CC, then the Powder Keg, and this year the Lost River of the Ozarks) to ride the Lost River with us. Roach is one of our favorite employees at the park. He is a very funny person and has fun with his job. Anyway we had a great time.
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »
Josh, i agree with you on the shows. I think we all agree wiht you in fact. No reason why they could not have 2 or 3 skits per show and change every year.

the smoking thing? i have mixed emotions about. I am not a smoker, and in an enclosed area heavy smoke bothers me.  However I think that the government has forced enough rules upon the smokers of this country. After all they have rights too.  I think as long as they(smokers) are required to smoke outside of building in designated areas that should be acceptable to the general public.  After all as a rule smoke will go up and dissipate in the air among the trees away from the general public.  There is lots of room at the city to avoid those few areas without missing anything!

OK!!  OK!!!  I'm done now..  Stepping of soapbox..

JOSH!!  glad you had a good trip, tell all of yours we said hi!!  see ya this fall!

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I definitely agree on the shows thing. This is really our first year to visit SDC regularly, but I know it has already entered our discussion about whether we will return as much next year. World Fest was great because of the shows, but if the same things come back next year with the exactly same show, not sure it will have as much draw to keep us around. But, at least it is just once a year no matter how you look at it, so I'll probably have forgotten alot of the kits and gags by next year. :-) That said for the performers that stick around all the time... the same old songs do get tiring after a while. I bet I've heard "Mississippi Squirrel Revival" about 20 times now walking through the main square... :-)
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
To those who listen to the same shows in the park....stop and hear the Homestead Pickers.....their performances are never the same unless they have song requests. As for the smoking areas....I do not smoke, but smokers are paying customers and should be able to smoke in the designated areas.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
Trip Review: June 24, 2011

Well, took my grandson Alex to SDC for the first time today! He really enjoyed it. Got to the parking lot about 9:45am, walked to the ticket booths, no lines, got to the turnstyles, no lines, and right on into the park with no hassle. Headed straight for Powderkeg, no lines, no waiting. Then, American Plunge, again, no lines, no waiting! Then it was over to Riverblast, which Alex really enjoyed. He had fun squirting the folks riding it first, and then riding it and squirting everyone watching us ride. I think Powderkeg shocked him a bit...he refused to ride Wildfire, Thunderation, Lost River, or even Flooded Mine after that! He enjoyed the games in Grand Exposition (Yeah, he LOVED the basketball shooting, and "won" a large basketball. All in all, a wonderful time, and out of the park about 4pm. Pictures posted at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Junior...glad your grandson had fun...SDC is a great place for kids and adults alike...
Colorado SDC Fan

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
To those who listen to the same shows in the park....stop and hear the Homestead Pickers.....their performances are never the same unless they have song requests.
I love the Homestead Pickers. They are such fun to just sit back, relax, and enjoy listening to and interacting with. They are very informal, which is great, I think it makes them seem more genuine. Plus their music is very, very good.
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
Great trip review Junior!

It looks like you, and your grandson Alex had a wonderful visit. I bet it was neat to show him the areas that you used to work at. The pictures taken look good! Silver Dollar City is so photogenic this time of year.

Although Wildfire can be a bit intimidating, hopefully he will eventually warm up to Thunderation, Lost River, and especially the Flooded Mine.

Sounds like you had a very special trip. Thanks for sharing! :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
congrats on the trip with alex.. glad all went well..

On another note, by your pics i understand that the log hewing is going to be a full time demonstration now, as opposed to only at fall festival?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
Log hewing apparently will now be a regular feature next to McHaffie's Homestead. The guy doing the hewing has worked at SDC for 35 years and is the same one who worked on building all the cabins at The Wilderness Campground that SDC has. A very talented guy with a good sense of humor! I cannot remember his name, but his name is listed on the Wilderness website, I think. I do remember this guy from when I worked on the park. Just like me, his hair is now grey...not brown! LOL!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
I hope the poor old fellow don't get to carried away with his work.  Chopping on logs in 95-100 degree SDC heat could get a little dangerous at a man of his age.