Author Topic: Happy SDC Opening Day, everyone!  (Read 7547 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Happy SDC Opening Day, everyone!
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Good morning and Happy SDC Opening Day! Hmmm.....seems like there is something else today.....*scratches head*...something about the New Orleans Saints and a player named Patrick??......oh well, not important!

I see Junior has the jump on us! I look forward to scoring zero points on WITC! LOL! To all of you that goes before the others, TAKE LOTS OF PICS!! Remember, we live through you!!!!

*Raises glass of morning orange juice* Here's to another wonderful, fun filled season hopefully packed with lots of fun stories, pictures and memories! Can I get an Amen from the congregation?!?!
Andymeets1880s

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Happy SDC Opening Day, everyone!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
^ Amen Brother!

Right about now Junior should be sitting down to a nice hearty breakfast at the Mill.
I guess I'll just enjoy my eggo waffles and a cup of coffee for now, until we can hopefully get there next week.

You have a great past just ahead of you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
This is my first opening day as a season pass holder in 20 years.

It's also my first opening day on this forum.

I look forward to seeing all y'all out there this season.

I can't wait to get out there. It's gonna be awesome.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Well, I made to the park on opening day! I wanted to present a trip report:

Beautiful weather, and moderate to heavy crowds on the first day. Got to the park later than expected, around 9:15am. No trouble parking. Weather was so nice I walked from my car to the front gate. No trouble buying my ticket or getting through the turnstyle, it only took a few minutes. Had a chance to meet briefly at the front gate area with Terry Sanders. It was nice to see him again. He and a few other park "characters" were greeing guests as they got off the parking trams. They remodeled the Hospitality House over winter, and it looks good. The mural is there, and with the remodel, they moved some beams so you have a better view of the mural.
Got to meet briefly at the cave with our good friend, "COPPER" and had a chance to introduce myself. It was the first time we met. COPPER is a very nice fellow, and I really enjoyed our brief conversation. I hope to see him again on my next trip. It was reported on another thread here within the last few weeks that there were plans to reintroduce the "Dugan" name, as in "Rube Dugan's Diving Bell" to the park, and sure enough, the "DUGAN TRADING COMPANY" sign was posted outside a shop along Lake Silver. The shop was not open today. I peeked under the canvas at the entry to the shop, and saw the building is still empty, but I am sure they will have it open in a few weeks. Spent some time in Half Dollar Holler, it looks good! Well themed, and the kids were lovin' it! However, I want to report that the old holler is completely filled up with the new attraction, with some of the playground features literally only a few feet away from the swinging bridge...on both sides of it! Guess who I saw in HDH? Jack Hershend and Brad Thomas. Brad was giving Jack a tour of the park on the opening day! I approached, apologized for interupting, and told the two I was a former employee. Jack asked where I had worked, and when I told him the diving bell he smiled and his eyes lit up. They were busy, so I kept my conversation with them short, but told them both that my years on the park were very happy ones, and that I learned many things working for SDC that I have carried with me through my life. Jack and Brad seemed to appreciate my comments, and I was happy to shake Jack's hand before I left them. Later on, I was in the Hospitality House, and Jack and Brad came in so Brad could show Jack the new SDC merchandise on sale. I approached again, asking if it would be alright if I took a photo of the two of them, and Brad immedately said, "why don't you let me take a picture of you and Jack." WOW! I could not believe it! So we posed and I thanked them both again for their time. It was a very nice moment, and I will tell you, (sorry if I am too sentimental here) it meant a great deal to me to have that picture! I've posted a few shots on my Flickr account. Mainly Half Dollar Holler photos, but also the photo Brad took of me and Jack, and a shot of the "Dugan" sign at the Riverfront area. Hope you enjoy. I took many, many photos on park today, and will present some others on the Flickr site within the next few days. In all, it was a great day at SDC, and I upgraded my ticket to a season pass before leaving, so expect more photos throughout the season. Hope to see you all next time at SDC! -JUNIOR
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
Sorry, forgot to put the Flickr site address on the previous posting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan      ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
great pics and review!

what an special treat to meet jack and get his picture..

Congrats!!  Glad u had a good day!

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
Kudos to Junior, sounds like you had a whole day full of "memories worth repeating"! 
Vote to end 2020!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
Great report, Junior! I'd call that a full and pretty complete day! Good shots, too. Nice to see some color from people in the park filling up the gray of the winter!
Andymeets1880s

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Great write-up & pics, Junior!

Lets all have'a blast this year!!
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments, everyone. I'll post some photos of the Hospitality House mural tomorrow, and a few other shots from around the park.  :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
Thanks for the update Junior, the pics are great too. Does the Swinging Bridge swing as crazy as it used to? I'm assuming they've toned it down with that shed underneath...

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »
Thanks, Junior!

That was a really nice story about Jack. Did you ever have any interaction with him when you worked there?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »
Spent some time in Half Dollar Holler, it looks good! Well themed, and the kids were lovin' it! However, I want to report that the old holler is completely filled up with the new attraction, with some of the playground features literally only a few feet away from the swinging bridge...on both sides of it!

Thanks for the pics. HDH taking up the entire holler is... well, kind of disappointing. For me, that has always been a special serene spot, to just stop in the middle of the bridge and enjoy being in the woods, right in the middle of a bustling park.

That's just me, though. I'm sure the kids love it.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
well, kind of disappointing. For me, that has always been a special serene spot, to just stop in the middle of the bridge and enjoy being in the woods, right in the middle of a bustling park.
I am going to recant my desire for something to be built next to the waterfall.  I think that would be the end of quiet places in the park.  I do think however they could put the walkway behind the waterfall back it.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
Great report & Great pictures!

Half Dollar Holler looks a lot better with kids and families roaming around it!

Also, good to see the Dugan name brought back!
You have a great past just ahead of you.