Author Topic: Your Worst SDC experience  (Read 29246 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Your Worst SDC experience
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »
As I was reading the 'Your most Memorable SDC Trip' thread I started thinking about what everyone else's worst experience was.

My worst experience was probably when I got peed on by the goat when I was younger or when we went at Christmastime and it was FREEZING. Everything was shut down and we were all miserable. But we did get free hot chocolate.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Your Worst SDC experience
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:21 PM »
Great idea for a new thread!  Only the best of vacation destinations can have a fan site with "worst experiences".  Afterall, the worst day at Silver Dollar City is better than the best day of working!

My worst?  Hmm.  We've had lots of rain experiences.  Cancelled shows in the gazebo (which is why more indoor theaters would be nice), closed rides due to lightning, etc.  I don't think I've ever thought the trip wasn't worth it, but I do get upset when I have to sit through a bad, self-promoting local-talent show under the premise that it was something different than what I expected.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten caught in a lot of hurricane-force rains. But I've actually found it to be rather fun in the end, running from eave to eave, trying to see how dry you can stay.

The only bad time I've had at SDC was back in December '06, but it wasn't the park's fault. Things got started late for our group, and other things happened, and by the time we were finally ready to ride the rides, they were all closed because of the park-wide power outage (which itself was kinda fun, sitting in the dark, with the exception of the lights on the train, next to the Riverside Theatre where Cedric of Cajun Connection is making jokes about not being the one to cause it, LOL). That day, the only ride we got to ride was the teacups in the last 5 minutes that the park was open.

But, again, it wasn't a bad trip due to the park. I don't think I've ever had issues on a trip that were directly related to the park.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:23:31 AM »
This is a wonderful topic, because I think it points out that none of us has had a bad day because SDC failed. 

One reason that I have had a "bad day" is because 15,000 of my closest friends wanted to have fun too.  I remember noticing the excessive number of parking attendance on those days.  This park was ready to get it done.

As I wrote las year, I didn't like the "tone" of expedition workers. . . but I took that as cranky old people doing their job too zealously.

My child once exhausted his diaper supply and pooped all over his jeans.  We were able to overcome though because their stores had some affordable clothing that fit.

Great Park.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »
I have to agree that the older people are too rigorous with their duties in the Great Expedition.  Definately.

But it is nice that it's not just teenagers running the rides like at other parks, and it gives those folks something to do besides hassle the shoppers coming into WalMart.

The parking is often an issue, too.  I always want to park in the C lot (sort of a tradition with us), and I always want to ride on the long green tram (I hate the busses and "trolleys".), but there are times when we have to park across the street, and it's a major pain.  It takes 45 minutes just to get to the front gate on those days, and it always seems to happen when we've brought visitors with us.  It really sets the wrong tone for the start of the day.  I wonder how the new road, etc., will affect all of this.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »
Upon arriving at the very bottom of Marvel Cave, I erupted into an uncontrollable nose-bleed.  With nothing resembling a tissue, I had no choice but to squeeze it off and breath through my mouth all the way to the top of the incline railway.  FUN times!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
^That happened to me at Disneyland except I was on a ride.  ::)

It is weird how nose bleeds can suddenly occur.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »
1.5 feet of snow overnight! while driving-we left at 11pm from Stlouis. But the horrible drive ended up with only about 100 people in the parkthe following day, pristine beauty, and some awesome photo opportunities. Worst ride/drive ever, best trip though by far, so I guess this doesn't count as worst then huh?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
Max capacity at the park last year during OTC and it seemed every guest had taken a extra helping of B!tchy at breakfast.  For crying out loud expect that lines will be long when there is that many people in the park, stop whining already... sheesh.

Some of these people would never survive Disney or even Cedar Point
SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »
I don't have any idea what would be my "worst" experience at SDC, but one thing comes to mind. 

I was the Marshall for one season back in the 80's and on one particular day, a heavy rainstorm came up suddenly.  I was asked to "crowd-control" the Hospitality House because, as you all know, it is somewhat of a bottleneck, being the only way on and off the park.  Back then, the cave guide/information booth was still in the middle between the two garage doors.  There was, in spite of the rain, a mass of people trying to get in, and because of it, a mass of people trying to leave.  Needless to say, it was a jumbled up mess at the HH.  After some time, I was able to establish an in-going line and an out-going line, on opposing sides of the booth.  These lines stretched for a good distance on either side of the HH.  People were moving smoothly along until a girl, I'd say about 14 or 15 years old, tried to buck the in-coming line.  One person fighting against a flow of people five or six wide, you get the picture.  I tried to encourage her to get into the out-going line, but apparently, she had somewhere she had to be in a hurry.  She started calling me every name in the book as I continued to tell her she'd have an easier time getting out in the other line.  But she finally pushed me aside and continued against the flow.  Well, my frustration got the better of me and as she disappeared into the on-rushing mass, I called after her "OK, be a b..tch if you want to."  Well, the crowd that was around and had witnessed the whole debacle cheered and clapped when I said that.  Admittedly, as an SDC employee and the Marshall no less, I shouldn't have done that, but it is what it is.  Anyway, after 20-25 minutes the mass of people eased to the point that I was able leave, so I went directly to my supervisor and told him what had happened.  He said not to worry about it, that he'd take care of it if any complaint came about due to my indiscretion.  Sure enough, the girl's mother came and found me about an hour later and complained that I had called her daughter a b..tch.  I explained what had happened, and that I hadn't actually called her one, but merely that she could be one if she wanted to be, as in, it was her option.  She was somewhat mollified after my explanation and apology, but still wanted to see my supervisor so I pointed her in his direction.  I never heard any more about it, so I guess he handled it, or she decided not to pursue it further.

That was probably my worst experience with a guest, although when I worked as the Saloon crowd-controller, I had to step between fighting guests several times to ease tensions that arose when people tried to cut in line.  We employees are there for the guests, but sometimes they can put us in very sticky situations.  In spite of that, we still love 'em all.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »
^Ah, the joys of the customer service profession! ;)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
My, or should I say worst experience at SDC happened in 2006.   My family and I have been going to SCC since 1967, I have gone with may Grandparents, Parents,Children, and GrandChildren.  We have been to the park at least 100 times and had never had a bad day, not even a bad hour, until this day.
The people that were at the park were the worst I had ever been around. So many really bad moods.  We wondered why you would ever be in a bad mood and come to a park. (unless you were a Cub fan then you would always be in a bad mood)
The food service at the lumber camp was terrible.  The people were rude,  the food was cold, and the table were all very dirty.  (The kind of dirty where soda was spilt all over the table on Tues, salt on Wed, trash of Thurs, and left until Saturday.)  I e-mailed SDC to tell them about this and they never replied.
To finish the day the people in the little rascals were running over everyone.  Everytime you turned around here came another at high speed. 

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »
Zephon, I have my days like that!

My worst experience:
I was off work and dressed in street clothes and was trying to make it from the restrooms to the cave information desk in the hospitality House. The place was packed and my friend and I were trying to get through a narrow isle and a lady shoved her stroller into an already packed area. I had to jump on a scale and squeeze my way through a hat rack to get out of the isle. My friend and I made it to the cave desk and I was talking to some friends all the while I heard someone shouting behind me. Finally she ran up to me and started screaming every four letter word in the book and said that I almost knocked her stroller over. I never touched the stroller. She screamed that I should be careful around children and how I almost hurt her child. All the while a young boy was standing next to her and I said that she shouldn’t be using such language in front of her child. She said that isn’t my f@*#?!& child! Then I said she should work on being a better person and not talk like that around children. She said she didn’t care about other kids and went on screaming. My friend with me was pissed by this and said, “You are being White Trash!!!” The lady was shocked at this statement and was really quite afterward. I had to drag my friend off. That was the last I heard of her. I guess she never complained. Maybe she realized she was an awful person.

I deal with people like this a lot. I never get mad if it only affects me, but when it affects others I don’t tolerate it. He doesn’t work at SDC, but I had to explain to him you can’t say things like that!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:05:07 PM by Copper »

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »
Well it wasn't a worst experience, just a strange one...this past Fall Festival when the tornado struck and everyone had to wait until the trees were cleared in THE CITY....Danny Eakin came out front and later was joined by Greg Bailey and Greg Becker, and they played with Ken (the accordian player) entertaining  and trying to keep people happy... Danny cracked up when I asked Ken to play THE CHICKEN DANCE... (it's played at most we4dding dances up here)it was fun making the best out of a tense situation trying to pass the time away.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »

I was playing music down by the lumbercamp the day of FITH's accedent.
I was told to move to the middle of the street in front of the Saloon and they roped off the street behind me. I was given no instructions other than to keep people entertained but not say anything about what had happened. I had to listen to people bitch about not being able to go down the street and could say nothing. It was a sad day.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"