Author Topic: Your Attraction Ideas  (Read 283639 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Your Attraction Ideas
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
I wish the balloon ride would make a reappearance in Grand Expo. I think it would fit that area well.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »
Us old folks on here remember what it used to be like. No guns, just different scenes that you would see as you floated through. We have talked at length on here about how the guns seem to take away from the charm of the old ride. You can't hear what the characters are saying and the constant sound of the guns is just annoying.

That said, they should at least make sure the annimatronics(sp?) are all working on a consistent basis

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
Us old folks on here remember what it used to be like. No guns, just different scenes that you would see as you floated through. We have talked at length on here about how the guns seem to take away from the charm of the old ride. You can't hear what the characters are saying and the constant sound of the guns is just annoying.

That said, they should at least make sure the annimatronics(sp?) are all working on a consistent basis

Quite honestly, it reminds me of the shooting galleries at Bass Pro. I keep lookin' for the coin slot.

Back to my spinning coaster, here's Knott's :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EX-seei3LY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5SAB08nbk

That's from Googe Earth

notice the train goes thru the ride.

Mix a couple of flat rides in with it like the BALLOON RIDE one in the video or what they do at the Nick place at the Mall of America. I think theming could be really unique like the one I mentioned that the Baldknobbers hid there shine from the revenuers in the City water supply.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:17:43 PM by chittlins »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
There's a spinning coaster at Worlds of Fun, for anyone interested in checking one like that out.

I would love to see the Balloon Ride show up in the Grand Expo.

As for Flooded Mine, I don't think 3D tech is necessary, but some sort of tech could help increase kids' interest. I mean, take out the dips and Pirates of the Caribbean is basically like the Flooded Mine, minus the shooting. However, it's HUGE compared to FM; the WDW version is somewhat like 7min long and the DL version is close to 15, if I remember correctly.

I will always maintain that SDC needs a "People Mover" in the vein of Haunted Mansion. Something that is constantly moving, eating 100s of people an hour, and is long enough that the wait in line is worth it.

More interactivity in the queues could help, too. Disney's been doing a brilliant job adding interesting things to see and do while waiting in line, and while SDC rides rarely have the kind of waits Disney rides do (though I don't know how Kids Fest is, since I haven't been there for it in ages), it could still help keep people's attention. Especially for rides like Powderkeg and Fire in the Hole, which take a long time to queue because of the small number of people who fit a single train.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »
A spinner would work well with the Icehouse theming as well. Some parts can be indoor and other outdoor, low sections hat bend and curve can be a tunnel. I like the Mack ones where you sit back to back. Would give better views.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:22:43 AM by chittlins »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
I would be happy with a makeover of AP and a re-opening of the treehouse.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
I wish the balloon ride would make a reappearance in Grand Expo. I think it would fit that area well.

The ride itself would definitely fit the theme, but I am afraid that the original magic would be lost. The original location of the Balloon Ride had tall trees all around, and it truly made you feel like you were flying just over the treetops in the woods.

The Grand Exposition has very few tall trees, and sits at the back corner of the park. Once in the air, the riders would be able to see the back employee parking lot, and possibly the nearby street which would spoil the illusion.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:23:01 AM by Ozark BBQ »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »
A spinner would work well with the Icehouse theming as well. Some parts can be indoor and other outdoor, low sections hat bend and curve can be a tunnel. I like the Mack ones where you sit back to back. Would give better views.

Oooohhhh, YES! The Icehouse theme would be PERFECT for a spinner!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
I've heard rave reviews for the Intamin spinner at Bakken (http://rcdb.com/4313.htm?p=36089). Even though it's a small coaster, they managed to make it pack a punch, and Bakken did a good job putting a building in and around it so the coaster swoops in and out of the facade. That is something missing at SDC.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
Oh wow! That ride looks amazing! The only "theming" you get for Spinning Dragons at Worlds of Fun is some nice landscaping.

I also wish SDC had a ride like Cyclone Sam's. It's probably the best-themed ride of all of WoF's rides.

EDIT: I just realized that spinning coaster is totally different from Spinning Dragons in terms of the cars. That's awesome!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:45:56 PM by Joy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
Oh wow! That ride looks amazing! The only "theming" you get for Spinning Dragons at Worlds of Fun is some nice landscaping.

I also wish SDC had a ride like Cyclone Sam's. It's probably the best-themed ride of all of WoF's rides.

EDIT: I just realized that spinning coaster is totally different from Spinning Dragons in terms of the cars. That's awesome!

Intimin made the Tornado referenced in the post above, notice the seating, 2x2, facing. Mack makes cars 2x2, back to back and put them in trains like Sierra Sidewinder, maurer shone's cars are the same type but are sent single and they have a high speed lift. Not sure on Gerlauster's version. Those are the companies that seem to do custom layouts, seems up to the park on theming and the extent of it. Like above, there's some that indoor. outdoor, some that are all outdoor and have tunnel sections on the lower turns. There' seems to be a great amount of flexibility and most seem quick ride at 1 to 1.5 minutes. Intimin has flirted with the idea of one with an inversion. Seen one ideo on a company site where there's a loop but the track twists so you are never truly upside down. Most seem a hoot and the theming and footprint of the rides very flexible. Just seems like something that SDC could knock out of the park around where the Waterboggan used to be. I've kinda be obsessed with them lately.

mfarley

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
I have looked at the ozark wild cat on google earth and also taken a screen shot of the area in between wildfire and powder keg, I'd love to see them move the ozark wild cat over to SDC and I think the area would be a perfect fit! Put a 3rd coaster over, theme it up to be more of a doc-harris themed woodie.  Lumber camp would be just down the hill, play into the the theme of the waterfall and put in a few new shops/attractions, and complete the already existing maintenance  loop between the two big coasters and the ozark wild cat lays perfectly in there.  Maybe some smaller adult thrill rides in the area between wildfire and powder keg and then you are out to the maintenance road.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
I have looked at the ozark wild cat on google earth and also taken a screen shot of the area in between wildfire and powder keg, I'd love to see them move the ozark wild cat over to SDC and I think the area would be a perfect fit! Put a 3rd coaster over, theme it up to be more of a doc-harris themed woodie.  Lumber camp would be just down the hill, play into the the theme of the waterfall and put in a few new shops/attractions, and complete the already existing maintenance  loop between the two big coasters and the ozark wild cat lays perfectly in there.  Maybe some smaller adult thrill rides in the area between wildfire and powder keg and then you are out to the maintenance road.

Great work. Only issue is the difference in terrian where as Oscar sits on flat land.  You are seeing more and more Parks intertwine their rides for more efficient use of space. Saw one where a coaster travels over the flume chute and if timed just right the train gets a little spray. American plunge redone to include another dip or two or like a newer ride going in Europe with an airtime hill would rock. See online that gravity group has a prototype woodie dark ride with small section that goes outside and back in. 

Still would love a new spinning coaster, someone has a design for one with a non-inverted loop.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »
I don't think you're going to make OzCat fit anywhere at SDC easily - notice how small the station buildings are in that photo compared to Wildfire's due to the difference in size of the OzCat inlay. In reality, you'd have to bulldoze most of that corner of the park to make it fit.

It's not worth it anyway, I really like what they're doing now with an original design that fits the terrain.

As for AP, I think I'm more and more becoming OK with the idea of it getting completely taken down and replaced with a new water ride with a similar theme. There's no way the ride is going to be restored to it's former glory at this point, and it kind of need to just be put out of it's misery. The new Mack superflume/water coaster things are interesting, but really not that great. They do make some more traditional flumes that could be utilized creatively though.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »
I don't think you're going to make OzCat fit anywhere at SDC easily - notice how small the station buildings are in that photo compared to Wildfire's due to the difference in size of the OzCat inlay. In reality, you'd have to bulldoze most of that corner of the park to make it fit.

It's not worth it anyway, I really like what they're doing now with an original design that fits the terrain.

As for AP, I think I'm more and more becoming OK with the idea of it getting completely taken down and replaced with a new water ride with a similar theme. There's no way the ride is going to be restored to it's former glory at this point, and it kind of need to just be put out of it's misery. The new Mack superflume/water coaster things are interesting, but really not that great. They do make some more traditional flumes that could be utilized creatively though.

What that Photoshop does show is that something fairly major can go there but isn't there a bat issue right there?