Author Topic: Midnight Madness park music  (Read 24973 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Midnight Madness park music
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »

There has been a little discussion on this topic but what do you think?
I found walking through SDC to the Ghost Busters theme and 99 luftbaloons just too far out there.
Is SDC trying too hard to cater to a different crowd?  McDonald's tried pizza some years back to expand there business scope, but it flopped, they aren't a pizza place, they sell hamburgers. In the same train of though SDC isn't Six Flags or World of Fun, they are both fine places to visit but these customers are walking into SDC for a reason.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Madness park music
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
I'm more of a traditionalist myself...very old school...I say keep it within the theme. HOWEVER, once they started putting in the rollercoasters, it became obvious to stay viable in business they are aiming for the young crowd with MM. I understand why they play modern music rather than the traditional bluegrass or folk stuff, I'm just not too crazy about it. If they would have had MM when I worked there, the top hits of the day would have been Queen, Joan Jett, GoGos, Journey, Kansas, Styx, Steve Miller, Bob Segar, Billy Idol, Blondie, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Nena, Poison, Ratt, Damn Yankees, Van Halen, and so on. It would have been cool to me at that age to hear that stuff back then with a MM. However, the older crowd would have flipped out. I am now in the "older crowd" category, and I am sure that is why I feel the way I do about this subject.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
It would have been cool to me at that age to hear that stuff back then
I agree, but do the kids complain about the music at SDC during the day?
I think its too far or a departure.
Apparently I am old as well.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
I do believe they are trying to cater to the "younger crowd" during Moonlight Madness, but why? I am 25 years old, and I still consider myself a part of the younger generation. However, when I go to Silver Dollar City I want to listen to bluegrass. If I want to listen to modern music then I will go to a modern style theme park, or I will do like everyone else, and just break out my iPod.

I am probably in the minority here, but I wish the folks in management would stop trying to force Silver Dollar City into a Celebration City style theme park. Celebration City didn't work for a reason. I think Silver Dollar City is trying too hard to be "the cool park." I am a young guy, and I thought Silver Dollar City was already a cool park just from the 1880's style experience.  :-\

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
I like the comparison someone made in another about playing "It's a small world" in the haunted mansion at Disney World. It just doesn't work and it cheapens the experience.

It was OK to listen to some of the fun older songs in line for PK, but elsewhere in the park I think it just lowers the experience altogether. I think "kids", if they even notice, won't think it's better, but will in fact feel like they're at Six Flags. People don't pay $50 to get in for a cheap experience.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
^What if they played "Imaaaaaaaginaaaaation" (from Journey into YOUR Imagination with Figment from Epcot) in the Haunted House, would it work then?  lol
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, if they're gonna play modern music, why not modern country? When we weren't being subjected to Lady Gaga at Powderkeg, they were playing some current country songs and people in line were actually singing along with it.

I wouldn't mind it if they were playing artists like Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Garth Brooks, etc. But that's as far as I'll go in not complaining about modern music at SDC. Lady Gaga just DOES NOT BELONG.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
^What if they played "Imaaaaaaaginaaaaation" (from Journey into YOUR Imagination with Figment from Epcot) in the Haunted House, would it work then?  lol

That would be a very interesting experience.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
I agree with the majority. SDC needs to be bluegrass and/or country. What about the classic country? Seems like the legends have been shelved. I am a hard rock person myself. My favs are Van Halen, Cheap Trick, Kiss, Triumph and others, but I would love to hear some Johnny Cash, Dolly, Merle Haggard, etc.

Some places have to stay true to themselves! And SDC is one of them!
Andymeets1880s

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
Some places have to stay true to themselves! And SDC is one of them!
Simply put and too the point.
Well said

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »
I don't think it would matter to me, but it matters to a lot of people. So, here's what it boils down to: sticking with bluegrass doesn't offend anyone or cause them to complain, nor does it drive anyone away. Modern (especially pop) music does, while apparently not attracting anyone who wouldn't already be there.

So, from a business viewpoint, unless they have survey data that says something else, it just makes sense to stick with bluegrass.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
sticking with bluegrass doesn't offend anyone or cause them to complain, nor does it drive anyone away. Modern (especially pop) music does, while apparently not attracting anyone who wouldn't already be there.
....How can you argue with this ?........

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
Thank you, mh and "Here! Here!" to KB!

Andymeets1880s

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:42:31 PM »
I'm getting geared up to go to the City this Sunday.  Thankfully, I've got dinner plans outside of SDC and won't have to be subjected to the cheapening of the City during MM.   I'm also more into the slow pace and could care less about sweating in a queue line listening to ill-behaved kids have their last hurrah before school.

It's one thing to keep the City open later and expect to have a completely different cadre of people enjoy the city who probably don't even notice the modern music.  But you'd never hear this break in theme at a Disney park....ever!  Once you lose your brand, you have nothing else to offer.

As I recall, most everyone on here gets a survey....right?  I say let your voice be heard there.  Don't be shy!  Feedback is very important and I think that it's important to hold the "brand" torch high for those that can't see the forest for the trees.  Unfortunately sometimes those people are even the ones who make the executive decisions.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:02:44 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
If there going to play Country why not Dolly! She's my all time favorite, and she would fit in better at SDC than Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga creeps me out!!