Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146141 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
The sound has returned to the bridge.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »

Great news!  I love that bridge and the sound!  ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »

Great news!  I love that bridge and the sound!  ;D

Thats good to "hear"........ ::) ::)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 22, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
Let's get some theming on that monstrosity!

looking back at the renderings of the ride, it looks like there was a very small building at the top of the lift, but that was it. The supports were painted green for the flume and lift, but nothing else was shown to be done.

Jay

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 22, 2020, 03:43:16 PM »
Let's get some theming on that monstrosity!

looking back at the renderings of the ride, it looks like there was a very small building at the top of the lift, but that was it. The supports were painted green for the flume and lift, but nothing else was shown to be done.

Jay
Yes, from the art it looks like there is also supposed to be a big pulley with the little building. In person, the thing that stood out the most to me was the actual elevated flume. From the concept art, it looks like there is wooded cladding on it. Hopefully these details didn't get completely cut from the budget.

I also don't think that the colors seem as bright in person. I'm sure that they will also fade some in the first few years.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 22, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »

They really need to put the sign back up telling how the bridge collapsed, in February 1887 I think, as a posse was chasing Baldknobbers and if you listen closely you can still hear the posse's horses.  That way newbies would know why they hear the sound of horses crossing the bridge.  That sign would be very easy to do again if they don't have the original.
I'm Your Huckleberry

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 22, 2020, 07:08:16 PM »

I am glad it is back

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »

Yes, from the art it looks like there is also supposed to be a big pulley with the little building. In person, the thing that stood out the most to me was the actual elevated flume. From the concept art, it looks like there is wooded cladding on it. Hopefully these details didn't get completely cut from the budget.

Makes the tower look sorta like the headhouse over a mine shaft, I suppose.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2020, 09:03:04 AM »

They really need to put the sign back up telling how the bridge collapsed, in February 1887 I think, as a posse was chasing Baldknobbers and if you listen closely you can still hear the posse's horses.  That way newbies would know why they hear the sound of horses crossing the bridge.  That sign would be very easy to do again if they don't have the original.

I highly doubt that they will put that sign up again. The reason? It would hurt someones feelings because of the Baldknobber history. I am surprised they have not removed it from Fire in the Hole as of yet. White men in hoods (in a historical sense) just dont do well in todays Zoomer standards.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
The colors don't bother me:  those colors did exist in the period.

The African-expedition-style boats are more of a problem with the theme, but still, they don't clash too terribly.

If I were a betting man, I might wager that the pulley gets left off of the final product.  Now that I said that, it is sure to be installed...and that's why I'm not a betting man.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
The reason? It would hurt someones feelings because of the Baldknobber history. I am surprised they have not removed it from Fire in the Hole as of yet. White men in hoods (in a historical sense) just dont do well in todays Zoomer standards.

Yeah, I'm just gonna stop you right there. Being a "zoomer" myself, there is a vast difference between the Baldknobbers and the Klu Klux Klan during that time period. The Baldknobbers were vigilantes. They opposed corruption in local governments, aided local law enforcement, etc. Compared to the KKK, who were about white supremacy in the 1880's and still are to this day about that. We have every right to be pissed off about the KKK and how they are still around. So yeah, the KKK doesn't do well in "today's zoomer standards" because of what they have done (lynchings, mobs, murders, against anyone who wasn't white) and the fact that they are still around today. I don't think any "zoomers" mind the Baldknobbers at SDC, especially the ones who grew up in the area and understand what they did.

Anyway, as for the sign, I've never saw the sign about the collapse, so that is new to me. I always thought you were supposed to imagine horses below you, or something like that.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2020, 10:14:48 PM »
The reason? It would hurt someones feelings because of the Baldknobber history. I am surprised they have not removed it from Fire in the Hole as of yet. White men in hoods (in a historical sense) just dont do well in todays Zoomer standards.

Yeah, I'm just gonna stop you right there. Being a "zoomer" myself, there is a vast difference between the Baldknobbers and the Klu Klux Klan during that time period.

We live in an age where mobs are tearing down statues of abolitionists because they're outraged about slaveowners.

I wouldn't expect a careful academic examination of the differences between baldknobbers and klansmen.

C'mon... protestors painted swastikas on John Brown, fer cryin' out loud!

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article205780714.html

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 25, 2020, 06:46:32 AM »
I highly doubt that they will put that sign up again. The reason? It would hurt someones feelings because of the Baldknobber history. I am surprised they have not removed it from Fire in the Hole as of yet. White men in hoods (in a historical sense) just dont do well in todays Zoomer standards.

SHHH!!!!   don type that too loud,  I had not even thought of that..

Just wait though,
somebody will be "offended",
they will yank all the signage park wide and repaint the whole park in pastel colors.. :o :o

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 25, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »

Yeah, I'm just gonna stop you right there. Being a "zoomer" myself, there is a vast difference between the Baldknobbers and the Klu Klux Klan during that time period.

We live in an age where mobs are tearing down statues of abolitionists because they're outraged about slaveowners.

I wouldn't expect a careful academic examination of the differences between baldknobbers and klansmen.

C'mon... protestors painted swastikas on John Brown, fer cryin' out loud!

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article205780714.html

Tucker Carlson nailed this last night. It is the product of our public education system and nearly any teaching of history in any depth and a complete lack of civics.

Trigger warning for lefties

https://youtu.be/kRwQd67tGQ4
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:21:01 PM by chittlins »