Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146022 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »
  But as long as they are adding some things you like.  And still keeping others that you do, then it seems they are still covering you pretty well.

Sir Willow, you're one of the last people I wish to dispute, but the core of the problem is right here.  The plans to get rid of things that we enjoy--like FM--EVEN IF they replace them with substitutes means that they would not be covering us well. 

As I said above, this is my problem (and that of those who are like-minded):  I get that.  But I believe that this is the place to raise these issues, is it not?  Among a chorus of voices calling for new this and new that, I feel a responsibility to raise my own voice in a call for preservation.
But there comes a time where preservation isn’t possible anymore. They’ve tried their hardest to preserve FiTH, but yet you can only do so much. Same thing with FM. The cost eventually outweighs the voices, where they have to stop preserving and start new. They may preserve it and try to update it at the same time, but then we have people shouting “Not my FiTH/FM!” “Not my festivals!” They definitely haven’t forgotten your demographic at all, as willow said, this year was all about your voice with festivals. But like I said, there comes a point where the cost has to outweigh the voices, as much as it upsets people.

How is it Disney can preserve their classics then ? Here is how. You do not neglect them for years you do preventive maintenance from the beginning. Hopefully they will realize this on newer attractions. Do not let the deterioration get out of control. PM in my opinion is one thing Herschend is terrible at.

Actually if you followed any Disney board you’d see even Disney has trouble properly maintaining their classics and especially their dark rides.  Figment is a sore spot for most and the current state of effects in several of the Magic Kingdom dark rides - and don’t forget about Disco Yeti in Everest
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »

How is it Disney can preserve their classics then ? Here is how. You do not neglect them for years you do preventive maintenance from the beginning. Hopefully they will realize this on newer attractions. Do not let the deterioration get out of control. PM in my opinion is one thing Herschend is terrible at.

Actually if you followed any Disney board you’d see even Disney has trouble properly maintaining their classics and especially their dark rides.  Figment is a sore spot for most and the current state of effects in several of the Magic Kingdom dark rides - and don’t forget about Disco Yeti in Everest

World of Motion and Horizons at Epcot; Country Bears, People Mover, Mission to Mars, Flying Saucers at Disneyland; I could go on long lists of rides and attractions that Disney has replaced- and several of those were because they couldn't/ wouldn't maintain them.

But the point is also valid with SDC and other parks- for some reason it seems certain attraction types don't get the TLC and attention that they need- wood coasters and dark rides stand out.  Little problems are ignored, and gradually so many little problems add up that it starts to become big problems.

Disney is obviously better than most. But they also are the most well attended and the most expensive parks to visit. When you have more people paying a lot more, then you have more money to be able to spend on upkeep.  And they are known for their Fantasyland dark rides- the "classics"  But if you've been to a Disney park in the last few years, then it's also likely you've seen their penny pinching and signs of not spending as much to take care of even those as they used to.  And Disney far outspends everyone else on taking care of their stuff.  And on "atmosphere" characters as well, something that many parks quit doing or cut way back on years ago.

Getting back on topic, I'm hoping to make it out to SDC next week myself to look at the changes. What I've seen it's looking like it's coming along well.  I will say SDC does a great job of working on their things and keeping them on a timeline.  That's one area they've got Disney beat by a long shot.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »

World of Motion and Horizons at Epcot; Country Bears, People Mover, Mission to Mars, Flying Saucers at Disneyland; I could go on long lists of rides and attractions that Disney has replaced- and several of those were because they couldn't/ wouldn't maintain them.

But the point is also valid with SDC and other parks- for some reason it seems certain attraction types don't get the TLC and attention that they need- wood coasters and dark rides stand out.  Little problems are ignored, and gradually so many little problems add up that it starts to become big problems.

Disney is obviously better than most. But they also are the most well attended and the most expensive parks to visit. When you have more people paying a lot more, then you have more money to be able to spend on upkeep.  And they are known for their Fantasyland dark rides- the "classics"  But if you've been to a Disney park in the last few years, then it's also likely you've seen their penny pinching and signs of not spending as much to take care of even those as they used to.  And Disney far outspends everyone else on taking care of their stuff.  And on "atmosphere" characters as well, something that many parks quit doing or cut way back on years ago.

Getting back on topic, I'm hoping to make it out to SDC next week myself to look at the changes. What I've seen it's looking like it's coming along well.  I will say SDC does a great job of working on their things and keeping them on a timeline.  That's one area they've got Disney beat by a long shot.

20,000 Leagues for the Snow White coaster let down(cause it is way too short)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »

Let me rephrase. I was not talking about replacing attractions. I was referring to maintenance  of the ones they keep. I will admit I have not been to Disney since 2014 but then the classics were in top notch operating condition. I do not recall one non functioning part. Apparently things have changed for the worse.
As for the disco Yeti he was a problem from the start and never functioned correctly. I remember riding the first year of operation and he just stood there like a statue. I think they just finally gave up.
But, in all fairness I have never seen a building at Disney with pieces falling off like SDC has let FITH get too.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
^Disneyland before their 50th had lots of things crumbling that had to be rebuilt.  Wasn’t there some fake rocks that fell and hit some riders on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad?  Things are definitely getting better but they are far from Saints when it comes to upkeep.  Shoot, Splash Mountain recently had several dark scenes because no one replaced bulbs on the lighting. 

But yes, I’d like SDC to give the maintenance budgets for FITH and FM several more thousands of dollars
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:26 PM »

20,000 Leagues for the Snow White coaster let down(cause it is way too short)

The subs were gone long before 7 Dwarves were even thought of.  They were filled in and replaced with an Ariel meet and greet, splash and play area, restrooms, and a Winnie the Pooh playground.  All of that but the restrooms was scrapped with the Fantasyland makeover and it's actually more where Gaston's tavern is now.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Awe....I missed all the drama.  Ya'll realize we are talking about first world problems right.  Arguing about how to spend other peoples money (HFE) and who is the better bigger theme park know it all ::)  You really need to get interspective if you are letting theme park board opinions get under your skin.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
NEW PHOTOS
And now for something ACTUALLY on topic.

Construction Update from Sept 7th

MYSTIC RIVER FALLS
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/09/mystic-river-falls-sdc.html

RIVERTOWN SMOKEHOUSE
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/09/rivertown-smokehouse-sdc.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:56:01 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics. Any idea if the project budget includes plans to spruce up the perimeter of Lake Silver prior to the opening of MRF? It definitely looks neglected (to be expected given the significance of the adjacent construction). It would be great to see them add a nice sized fountain in the center once everything is completed and the lake is filled once again.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2019, 06:19:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics. Any idea if the project budget includes plans to spruce up the perimeter of Lake Silver prior to the opening of MRF? It definitely looks neglected (to be expected given the significance of the adjacent construction). It would be great to see them add a nice sized fountain in the center once everything is completed and the lake is filled once again.

As far overbudget / behind schedule as it is, I’d be pleasantly surprised if they do too much. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2019, 07:14:19 AM »
great set of updated pics, thanks...   

as far as being behind schedule,  just how far behind so they consider themselves?  considering they have 7 more months before opening.  I would think they have time to finish... (Unless we have a terrible winter)..

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »

Maybe some Dancing Waters? 5 to 10 minute show every 1hr.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »

As far overbudget / behind schedule as it is, I’d be pleasantly surprised if they do too much.

Thanks for the update. I was gonna say at a glance it did seem like not too much was done to the MRF site overall since my visit and tour a month ago. Interesting that they are indeed behind schedule. Wonder what happened there. I am assuming it was due to all the rain we had this year?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2019, 06:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the update. I was gonna say at a glance it did seem like not too much was done to the MRF site overall since my visit and tour a month ago. Interesting that they are indeed behind schedule. Wonder what happened there. I am assuming it was due to all the rain we had this year?

Let’s say “the weather” but the real reason... I’m not at liberty to disclose
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »
Regardless the budget and scheduling issues that may be a factor, the reality is it's going to look very ghetto if they leave Lake Silver as is next to a brand new $25 million addition. It's a shame that something as simple as a very small body of water cannot be treated as an aesthetic asset to the park. Especially considering how little the park would need to invest to treat it as such.