Author Topic: Important: Flickr Update  (Read 5343 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Important: Flickr Update
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
Flickr has updated their storage policies, and on February 5th, they're gonna start deleting photos off free accounts if they have more than 1,000 photos, starting with the oldest.

Two of our members have an excellent stash of photos of the park as well as historical items (old maps, etc)... but they don't have Pro accounts.

I know tinmann still comes around here sometimes, but I haven't seen Beta Mike around in a while. I'm not sure which SDCFans member is the one with the "rubedugans" Flickr account, but that, too, is over the 1k photo limit and not upgraded to Pro.

Those three Flickr accounts have SO much SDC history in them. I sadly have literally zero money, so I can't gift a Pro account to any of them. But if anyone else wishes to do so, that'd be cool. If they don't turn Pro by Feb 5th, photos will start getting deleted. So just in case, I'm trying my best to save at least any photos that are pre-2000, particularly vintage and any maps/brochures. I know Beta Mike has dl'ing turned off on his Flickr, but I know how to get around that; I promise, though, I'm only backing these up to my own personal photo stash.

Anyway... I'd hate to see any of the old stuff disappear, hence why I've been spending HOURS a day (I have literally nothing else to do with my life right now) saving photos to my computer so that at least *someone* has them for posterity.

Here are the three accounts that are not Pro that have more than 1k photos, so their oldest will start getting deleted on Feb 5th:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32289589@N05/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Important: Flickr Update
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Joy! Sucks that this service is ending. Everyone is going over to IG and FB now, which is obviously not nearly as easy to use for galleries like Flikr was. I have made some passing attempts at getting a photo service running through this site for just SDC photos, but it's definitely not an easy service to setup or run.

These have been great accounts because of how these guys "document" the park. Even stuff like the front of the Frisco barn 10 years ago is completely different, and when I see those photos I get a rush of nostalgia that I had completely forgotten about. Look at how much more stuff is in the flower gardens and hanging on the sides of the buildings. Lot of little changes everywhere that we miss without these photos.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
Holy moly!  These are great.  Didn't have time to give these pictures the true justice they deserve this morning.  I'll definitely spend some time reviewing them in upcoming days.  Wow.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:39:03 PM »
Don't like how FB and IG do their photos, and the versions they save are such lousy quality.
I actually have an account with Smugmug, the company that bought Flickr, with unlimited storage.  Everything I post on it is open to the public and downloadable at full quality.  I'm more than happy to host their photos there if storage space is the thing needed.
Not sure what Flickr is charging for the paid accounts, but I may go take a look.  I don't have anything to give at the moment, but would hate to see those go.  It would be wonderful if there was a way to give them a gift paid account or find some way to preserve them.
(Edit- there is a "give pro" option available on each that would charge $42.49 to upgrade the account to pro)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:40:35 PM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
So, I think I managed to at least get any slides/old photos and maps/etc saved to my pc.

I understand Flickr's reasoning for making a photo limit - giving every free account 1tb of storage was definitely biting off more than they could chew. I can see why Flickr's new team is changing the free accounts' storage rules.

Since they're owned by Smugmug now, I think they really want to take Flickr back to its original intent: share the art of photography. Because of the way Yahoo ran Flickr, there are now thousands upon thousands of random pictures on Flickr that wouldn't be categorized as "artistic photography" (aka photos taken with some thought put behind them). I've also come across, without trying, some very... strange accounts with some pretty nsfw content...

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
Anyone consider Google photos?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
Anyone consider Google photos?
It's still a matter of getting all of those old photos downloaded and transferred.  And if they're not your photos, technically it's a copyright violation if you do it without permission.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
Yeah. I did download the old photos to my own PC, but only for my own personal collection of photos. It wouldn't be right for me to re-upload them elsewhere. Which is why I made this thread 'cause I haven't seen much activity from the board members whose Flickr accounts those are; I was hoping maybe they'd see this and know that we very much appreciate their sharing of photos.

I think right now, though, for us posting pics that we took, the SDCFans Facebook page is probably the best place to share them.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 12:10:15 AM »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 10:28:49 AM »
So, I just learned that Flickr listened to a lot of members' complaints and have moved the deadline to March 12 so they have more time to get their photos saved, etc.