Author Topic: American Plunge??  (Read 3159 times)

littlefriend

• View Profile
American Plunge??
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
Ok, is my memory bad or am I just crazy??  It seems that on this ride that you use to go up the incline and ride around a little while before you actually went down the drop.  Am I confused or did it use to be this way at one time in the past??

DalesDaMan3

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: American Plunge??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
Are you remembering BuzzSaw Falls?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »
You may be thinking about another ride elseware.
American Plunge has always had the same track.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
SF StL is a much longer ride that goes through several twists and turns through woods like you are talking about...but not SDC as others have said

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:23 AM »
The ride used to be longer - and better.  Was that before they renamed it to the American Plunge?  Certainly it was before Wildfire.  You can still see some of the old troughs over the fences on the way to Wildfire.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »
Yes, the ride was longer...and some say better...when it was Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride. The last year for the float trip was 1980. The American Plunge debuted in 1981. "Scenery" along the AP route has changed a bit over the years, too. The old float trip cave had to be replaced when it wore out, and was replaced with a concrete tunnel that has no theming.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
Heck yeah it was better!  AP is sort of boring to me.  You float through the dark a while, then a turn and there, then up the hill and down the hill and then it's over.  Jim Owen's Float Trip was cool.  LOTS more theme.  I remember one point in time, you traveled one direction, then the next year they reversed it and you went the opposite direction.  Don't know why I remember that.....just something that sticks out about my childhood memories of SDC.  Ahh....the good old days!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
You've got a better memory than I do. I worked at the float trip and never heard of a reversal of the flow in the channel until the plunge came along.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"