Poll

Which area do you think is better?

Country Fair (Dollywood)
3 (50%)
Grand Exposition (Silver Dollar City)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 15, 2010, 07:04:31 PM

Author Topic: Country Fair or Grand Exposition.  (Read 3122 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Country Fair or Grand Exposition.
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
I choose Country Fair because there are more rides, and actually looks like a fair.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Country Fair or Grand Exposition.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
The fair seems to give a lot more leeway in what is there in the area.
I like the idea of a fair, I never thought the Grand Exposition was much of a theme.
They never really go all the way with the idea.  The fair idea leads itself easier to a kids area, after all that is really what this area is.   May I be so bold as saying the rides are not themed well to something like a Chicago Exposition or Worlds fair. Bugs and frogs? they work fine with a fair, and everyone likes a fair.
The Exposition could have been used for a mechanical area with a ride like the Ice house, the kids rides seem like a bad match.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »
They are both good themes, but I agree that they didn't go far enough with the Exposition theme. 

The Galleon- should be a steam machine contraption.
Regatta- different types of boats representing different technologies.
Bug rides- less cute...
Tea Cups- more Victorian theme...
And I strongly dislike the elephants at SDC, they do not belong there.

Overall they could have gone a long way, but I feel that the budget stifled them. 

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
If SDC was a black tux then the Grand Expo would be a pair of brown Swede shoes.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
I always thought it would be a great idea to have an old fashioned big top circus at the park...elephants, clowns, trapeeze artists, jugglers, trick ponys, trained dogs...and so on. Inside a real canvas tent. Sawdust on the ground, colorful banners...and I think it would be a good fit with a country fair or the grand exposition stuff.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »
The Galleon- should be a steam machine contraption.
Regatta- different types of boats representing different technologies.
Bug rides- less cute...
Tea Cups- more Victorian theme...
And I strongly dislike the elephants at SDC, they do not belong there.

Exactly my thoughts, I have also seen mention of " steam Punk" on this site, that would have worked perfectly.
After all some of what was at an exposition would have been laughed at today.  Seems like the perfect atmosphere for outrageous claims and crazy industrial contraptions.
Maybe in 15 years when they decide they are ready fro a refurb these things may be considered.

To be quite truthfull with you I haven't been back there in some time as the area is flat paved and treeless.
Its an oven back there, Six Flags like.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:54:13 PM by mhguy77 »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
To me, Country Fair just has a better feel to it. I can't put my finger on it I just feel more at ease there than I do in the Grand Expo.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
I like the steam punk idea.  It would be about the right time period for what they are going for.

With that being said, just a cautionary note...remember Gaslight Square?   Anyone? 

I say stick with the oooooooold timey stuff.   So if I had to pick, I would say county fair if I had to choose.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
I understand what you are saying about Gaslight Square, but I loved it.  There were so many cool things like the barbershop quartet, the bicycle built for two, beautiful costumes and my favorite the penny-farthing bicycle.  I was six or seven, so I wasn’t old enough to understand the “change” everyone was so upset about.  I was just enamored by my surroundings; I mean gee there was SDC which was a magical place to me and then all these exciting things going on from the past.  I would give anything to have something like Gaslight Square today; at least it would be closer to theme than a modern magic show or Fred Flintstone.  I like the Grand Exposition idea, they just need someone with a better imagination coming up with the theme and ideas.