Author Topic: The next coaster (SDC)  (Read 29924 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: The next coaster (SDC)
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 01:36:27 AM »
I will get a map that shows were the cave is under SDC. The part of the cave that tourist go through is under the Hospitality House, Turn Styles, Eva and Delilah’s Bakery and into the woods on the other side of the Cable Train Tracks. The Lakes Passage is under the homestead and Main Street. The farthest they have been in that direction is under the Flooded Mine, it goes further, but no one has made it up into the difficult passages. They tried back in 2005, but didn’t succeed. The problem is this passage that is under the park has changed tremendously since the opening of SDC and they have taken great measures to nurture the cave. I can’t see them jeopardizing the caves future. Maybe building a new amphitheatre in that are would be alright???

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
That would be awesome to see a map that shows exactly where parts of the cave are in relation to areas of the park... It'd be awesome to know while walking around the park when you're walking above the cave. :D

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »
Well, I found my answer about the amount of land that SDC/Herschend owns. If you zoom into SDC (it's in the #12 quandrant) on this link...

http://www.stonecomogis.com/stone/

...you can find info on what parcels of land Silver Dollar City Inc. owns, using the circular "i/info" button.

Even cooler is the "Layers" feature on the right. Under "Planimetrics", make sure all the boxes are checked, and you'll see the footprints for American Plunge, Lost River, and even Buzzsaw Falls, as well as all the building footprints. For anyone doing research on the park for Roller Coaster Tycoon or whatever else (like for me, a story I'm writing), this is an awesome tool.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »
Gah, I just spent like 20 minutes trying to get that thing to center on SDC, I can't even get it close. What are the borders of SDC?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
Here you go:

SDC owns all the land within the red border, with the exception of that little square on the top center. I outlined the land specified as The Wilderness campground in blue.

Later, I'll get some close shots of the building footprints. I gotta say, this tool is a real life-saver with the story I'm writing.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »
Geez, I guess we'll never have to worry about them running out of space. It's no wonder they keep adding on complete new areas.

It's a shame the cave takes up so much area down from Wildfire, just look at how much room there is over there. 

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
Main Street and Center City are all built on top of the cave, so they still could. They would just have to watch what sinks into the earth. Each time they wash the streets or have any kind spill that would end up in the cave. They would just have to take extra precautions. I think it is the ravines that box in SDC, there are quite a few drop offs. If they don’t want another Hill Street then they would have to bring in a lot of earth to fill the hollows.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
^Meh, I hope they don't try too hard to build around how fat and lazy Americans are. A few sloping streets aren't that bad, especially if they build one of those cool old fashion incline railways.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »
Wow that is amazing. They have a lot more land than I thought they did. So what is that little red squre in the top part of the park??
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
I *think* it's a lodge, but I'm not sure; it's owned by a company called "Young Life".

And the little bit on the top right that's taken off the corner of the large square is a cemetary or something.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »
Why in the world would someone own a lodge in SDC property?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »
Young Life is a Christian organization for youth. During the summer the “Young Lifers” work for SDC and live in the cabins. That is the little red square.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
Ohh! Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
Wow, what I would have given for that kind of a summer job.

How does SDC own all this random land way out from their parking lots? I can't see them ever needing a lot of it, so I'm surprised they keep paying the taxes for it.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 12:13:22 AM »
The goal of Marry Herschend was to keep the area "Green." I have read she cried the day they started putting in a large cement parking lot. Plus you don’t want to end up like Disneyland, being surrounded and not able to grow the way you want to.