Author Topic: Retired ride graveyard?  (Read 8194 times)

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
Retired ride graveyard?
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what happens to the rides and signs when they are retired or closed? Rube Dugans diving bell, for instance. Was is simply disassembled? Or is there a "graveyard" of sorts where these things can be found? I'm just curious. Y'all have a great day.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Retired ride graveyard?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
The building housing the diving bell was gutted over the winter of 1984, and was remodeled into The Lost River. From what I have been told, most everything was thrown out in a trash dumpster. The Jim Owens' Float Trip ride was remodeled in the winter of 1980 to The American Plunge. Some old float trip scenes were freshened up and used with the AP, some were left to rot in the woods, some were pulled out and trashed. In general, the company does not have a great record of clinging to it's past...it uses its facilities, and when it's time to change things out, most things get trashed, some get recycled. Some things go into storage until they can be used again somewhere else. Buzzsaw Falls was an attraction that broke down alot. Part of it was torn out and trashed, some portions recycled and turned into Powderkeg. They do what they can to cut costs, but will do all they can to build attractions that will pull more people into the park, so often they are not sentimental. They tend to think of what's happening today, and what they can do to generate bigger crowds and more income.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
I guess I can see that. It's a little bit unfortunate for us hopelessly nostalgic fans. It would be nice if they had an eBay store or something and would auction off some of those items. I think that would be a win-win.
No matter where you go, there you are.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
I love talking about Buzzsaw falls whiile in line for Powderkeg. People that have never known about the old ride love to hear these things.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
Well, they used part of some foamy stuff from the Diving Bell for their limited edition pins. I've got one of them.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
There actually is an area near the park where a lot of discontinued/abandoned stuff is taken for storage or just to get it off park.  It's called The Lagoon, and it's located between the City and the SDC campground.  Seven or eleven years ago they built a large storage building down there for stuff that they do bring out for re-use, but most of the stuff just sits out in the open.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:38:07 PM »
Tinaalsgirl: WARNING, whatever you do...don't lick the foamy stuff on that pin...it is radioactive, and came from deep within the basement of the diving bell!!!

Zephon: First time I've ever heard of "the lagoon." If you are serious...THAT is the behind the scenes tour I would like to take!

-
Ummmm...Tinaalsgirl...just kidding!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Do you have a photo of this elusive pin?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
Junior,

The lagoon is actually SDC's sewage treatment pond and may or may not still be in use as such.  It's not one of the more picturesque areas of SDC property.  The road to it runs down through a small valley and that's where the "stuff" has accumulated.  I haven't been down there for some time.  Back when the Red Gold Nativity show set consisted of the whole city of Bethlehem, with the stage in the center of the building, we would store that set down there in that storage building.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

pintrader

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Here is a picture of the Diving Bell pin from sdc's pin trading pages.

http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/specialty-shops/pin-trading/default.aspx?id=330

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
The building housing the diving bell was gutted over the winter of 1984, and was remodeled into The Lost River. From what I have been told, most everything was thrown out in a trash dumpster. The Jim Owens' Float Trip ride was remodeled in the winter of 1980 to The American Plunge. Some old float trip scenes were freshened up and used with the AP, some were left to rot in the woods, some were pulled out and trashed. In general, the company does not have a great record of clinging to it's past...it uses its facilities, and when it's time to change things out, most things get trashed, some get recycled. Some things go into storage until they can be used again somewhere else. Buzzsaw Falls was an attraction that broke down alot. Part of it was torn out and trashed, some portions recycled and turned into Powderkeg. They do what they can to cut costs, but will do all they can to build attractions that will pull more people into the park, so often they are not sentimental. They tend to think of what's happening today, and what they can do to generate bigger crowds and more income.

Somewhat off topic, but the wooden fence around part of Powderkeg still has some of the old tools hanging on it that was put there at the same time as Buzzsaw Falls.  You can see it when riding on the train.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
In my opinion, SDC did a great job of keeping Buzz Saw Fall's history alive with Powderkeg. For example, all the tools you mentioned on the fence and the boat "crash landed" on the queue building.

I wish they had done more of this with the diving bell and possibly the Riverblast. It really does add great detail to Powderkeg.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:43:23 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
The lagoon is actually SDC's sewage treatment pond and may or may not still be in use as such.

I was referring to Google Earth for the placement of a new Hotel or improving (enhancing) park supplied transportation by crossing the valley behind the campground  and not 265.
I can plainly see the treatment area and possibly a building and the road that leads to them.  I thought this plant/ treatment center would cause a problem using the area for transportation. But they sure can get crafty to hide things if they need to, not so sure about hiding any possible smells.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
I agree with Coaster! I really like that they used one of the old BuzzSaw Falls boats to look as though it crashed on top of the building. ;D
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »
I love talking about Buzzsaw falls while in line for Powderkeg. People that have never known about the old ride love to hear these things.

Rube's note reminded me that when I was returning to the station on PK a couple of weeks ago I looked down at what's left of the stream from Buzzsaw Falls, and thought "Why did they leave that there?"  It amazed me that they keep pumping water through that thing apparently just for aesthetic purposes!

By the way, does anybody know why they did away with the water splash feature on PK?  I think I felt a small sprinkle once or twice while going between those tanks, but it certainly wasn't a "splash". 
In His grip!