Author Topic: Beer sales at SDC?  (Read 13959 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Beer sales at SDC?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »
I disagree, it is getting drunk. That's The last thing people want to see when there going to SDC, DW or any herschend property. I mean who wants there kid standing in line with a drunk person trying to ride a roller coaster. NOONE! Although this will never happen, because Herschend is a christian family so, theres nothing to worry about. I mean in DW's 25 years or SDC's 50 years it has not happened so far, so this really isn't an issue.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
As I understand it, SDC did have beer sales in an early stage.  Isn't that correct, Zephon, or have I misremembered?

Plus, they DO serve beer and harder liquor at the Adventure and Newport Aquariums.  Each serves cocktails in its Currents Ballroom - http://www.adventureaquarium.com/pdf/AdventureAquariumMenu.pdf - not in the aquarium itself, but it shows that HFE is not beyond maintaining a liquor license in some of its properties.  That's not to say it would happen at one of the parks, but it does call things into question.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
A resounding no on the beer sales.  Family time at SDC is cherished by my family, it is difficult to even find places that still have a no alcohol policy.  The alcohol element would definitely slow our visits down and could stop them completely.

Disappointed that the Herschend's even have a liquor license with them taking such a strong Christian stand. 

Harp 

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
Sooooo....I suppose I should weight in?   NO! NEVER!  NUNCA!

I can't even believe people would think they would need this to have a good time.  Sheesh!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:09:28 AM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
To my knowledge, the park has never offered alcoholic beverages on park.  I know it hasn't in the 35 years I've been there, but as for the very early days, I can't be positive but I don't think so.

There was a time when alcohol was allowed on park for after-hours employee events, but even that is a no-no now.

Can you image someone who has had just enough to reach that "feel good" state getting on Wildfire or one of the other roller coasters?  Not good.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
Or being out of control in the Cave?   Speaking of which...because the cave is technically a state park entity, does that have an effect on this whole subject of alcohol or not?   
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

docspeleo

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Doc on Lantern Tour
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
we get plenty of people in the cave who have consumed some alcohol.  I have turned in my fair share of guests of whom I've suspected.
As for the cave being a state park - we are privately owned.

and as for the comment about being Christian and not drinking? didn't Jesus serve wine at the Last Supper?

just saying drinking isn't bad, drinking to excess is.  it can be done right
Former Cave Guide 2006-2011

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »
There is some debate as to the definition of "wine" in ancient times (much of the debate being about what the Bible means by good wine).  I stand with Harp on this one.

Marvel is recognized as a National Historic Site, but is not a state park.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
NO!  would be my first and best answer.
The only way I could even remotely see this working is if they were able to legally set up a still (It can be done with the proper licensing) and then sold samples at a high price (so people couldn't afford to get smashed).
But ultimately I think keeping alcohol out of the park is the best answer.

Also, let's stay away from the "Good Christians shouldn't drink" debate. Prior to the Temperance movement of the 19th century, alcohol was not considered taboo for "Christians." Luther drank, the Puritans had beer on the Mayflower, and a Baptist preacher invented Burbon Whiskey. Jesus, Paul and the early disciples drank wine (The debate about the alcohol content of wine in Biblical days is also irrelevant, since you could still get drunk if you drank too much). And evidently, even the Lord enjoyed a drink every once in a while (Numbers 28:7).

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
I realize that I'm a "Newby", but I have to throw in my two cents worth on this one. As much as I enjoy a periodic, fine, imported German, English or Irish fermented beverage, I must say NO to alcohol on premises. We are there to forget our lives for a day or two and let go of the  stressess of daily life. What better way, than to be a kid again. When I come home from SDC, not only do I not care if I have a beer for a very long time, I couldn't care less about tv or most anything else, for that matter. I'm busy reliving the memories we just made. (and whistling the flooded mine theme song). No to alcohol at Silver Dollar City. There. I said it. :)
No matter where you go, there you are.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
There is some debate as to the definition of "wine" in ancient times...

Not much serious debate. Mostly, it's a stretch by people who believe that alcohol is wrong, therefore Jesus and the disciples couldn't possibly have consumed any. The argument is undone by the parable of the wine skins: old skins would only burst and spill the wine if it fermented.

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
I would be very disappointed if they started serving beer on site.

I think as a family oriented place it should be a place that we can bring our children and know they are safe to enjoy themselves and not have to worry about encountering people that had one too much.  I have found some  people to have they personalty changed due to alcohol.  Happy drunk or a fighter.

I know we have a festival every year and I do not attend anymore.  You have people who are walking around drunk and you have alot of people who think they can hold their liquor and makes the festival less family oriented.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Well I have seen better ideas posted on this site.  We love to drink beer and BBQ but there is no way in devils den that beer belongs at SDC.  The strongest thing sold at the park should be a nice cold sarsaparilla

chadewb

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
I am against beer on the park but if they decide to sell it and you get drunk. I think the SDC sherriff should be able to arrest you and put you in the flooded mine

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
Weeeeee ddonned no ber sol on ths paerrrrrrk. ar jobb sis harrrrhd enoooof.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"