Author Topic: Special perks for SDCFans.com?  (Read 11596 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Special perks for SDCFans.com?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:47 AM »
My girl & i are not the richist people in the World, but we're in. We just need acouple months notice if we was to all get together, or whatever. We would just like to see behind the scenes stuff at SDC. We are not looking for anything free, but it would be alot of fun to meet some of you people. We are very quiet & private. Besides SDC & auto racing, we are not into large groups of people. Not much into things you have to sit & listen thru, we go to have fun & enjoy ourselves & our time. And that is not being selfish, believe me.

These are just my 1st thoughts, maybe more later. Its early.. ::) 
Live life like it's the last day!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »
How about a special day set aside that SDC fans can get in 2 hours early or stay 2 hours after closing.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
I disagree with any eligibility for members based on posts or length of time here.

Andy, consider this...I joined this forum 6 months before you did, yet you have 4 times as many posts as I do. The content and number of one's posts reveals your passion as much as your longevity.

In the end the eligibility requirements don't really matter to me.  As long as the community is preserved on this forum. What makes this forum special is that people here are passionate about SDC.   I'd hate to see people joining this forum just to get the freebie and not because they are passionate about SDC, if any of these ideas come to pass.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »
It's good to see all the replies here. Do we have anyone else who can add some input? Don't be shy...
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 06:07:53 PM »
^^That's why I added to what someone else had posted.  I don't think "seniority" should be the only thing on the checklist.  Someone also put number of posts, but that doesn't take into account "quality" of posts; some of those posts are about baseball or other parks, and not anything to do with SDC, but does anyone really want to sort through all of those things?  I wanted to include recent activity on the checklist and allow new members to be invited by moderators.  These don't have to be the final ideas - as mentioned, this is definitely a community, and the decisions are not mine along - I just want to include as many legitimate participants as possible.

Not to pull any rank or anything (Please do not think that, as I respect you all.), but I do think the moderators would be a logical place to begin for working out the details with SDC.  Shavethewhales is the originator of the forums here, and he is the person who has allowed moderators to have responsibilities here (It's probably not that big of a deal, but I was honored when he asked me to take that role, and I am still honored to serve in that way.).  Don't think it's a power trip - I just think there needs to be some central organization to the process.

I don't have the gift of shmoozing, but I would like for us to contact SDC to see if any of this is even a possibility first, then the details could be hammered out (on an anvil) with the moderating group.  If anyone would like to make these initial contacts, please send me a private message, and we can come up with a plan based on all suggestions and comments in this (and previous) threads.  I am not one who wants to talk about making plans and then not act on all the discussion.

As I said, if someone from SDC or HFE would be willing to help us on the company's end and be a contact person (or locate the right contact person for us) there, then you may private message me, as well.

If shavethewhales would rather be the contact person, he can let me know that, too.

We can easily come up with a process that would be objective and fair, along with someone at the park; I do think they should and could have some input since they would be the ones providing the service to us.  In turn, they may even have some "tasks" that we could perform for them as ambassadors for the City.  It could be a unique and developing partnership.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:45 AM »
Coaster,
I really don't know if the "execs" would go for all of these "perks," unless it came in the form of an organized "outing."  I do know that people write letters all the time, and suggestions and criticisms are welcomed, seriously considered, and sometimes do result in changes.  For those of you who simply want to "share your heart," that is the best option.

HB has hit on it.  There has to be an "organization" on this end before SDC will consider giving any kind of group "perks," even if it's only a "fan club."  SDC bends over backwards to help plan company outings and the like, and this would be best handled like that.  We hosted the ACE convention last year, and a lot of planning went into that.  Of course, that was a very large group.  Company outings can be arranged for groups of 50 or more.  Information here:  http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/company-outings.aspx  For a smaller group, 15 or more, information is here:  http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/groups.aspx  Special tours, rides, meals, etc., as part of a group package might be able to be arranged through one of those offices.

I don't mean to tromp on anyone's feelings, and forgive me if I misunderstand, but it seems that some of you are asking for special tours, special rides considerations, discounts, etc., for whenever you happen to show up, simply because you're a member of SDCFans.com.  If SDC agreed to that kind of arrangement, I would be very surprised.  They can't be expected to have someone on call everyday to accommodate special behind-the-scenes tours, special rides before the ride is open to the public, etc., etc., anytime someone shows up and says they're a member of SDCFans.com. 

On the other hand, a special outing for the group as a whole is easily arranged through one of the offices I posted links to above.  That is if it can get organized on this end. 
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
Thanks for the input, Zephon!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 01:29:04 AM »
Coaster,
I really don't know if the "execs" would go for all of these "perks," unless it came in the form of an organized "outing."  I do know that people write letters all the time, and suggestions and criticisms are welcomed, seriously considered, and sometimes do result in changes.  For those of you who simply want to "share your heart," that is the best option.

HB has hit on it.  There has to be an "organization" on this end before SDC will consider giving any kind of group "perks," even if it's only a "fan club."  SDC bends over backwards to help plan company outings and the like, and this would be best handled like that.  We hosted the ACE convention last year, and a lot of planning went into that.  Of course, that was a very large group.  Company outings can be arranged for groups of 50 or more.  Information here:  http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/company-outings.aspx  For a smaller group, 15 or more, information is here:  http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/groups.aspx  Special tours, rides, meals, etc., as part of a group package might be able to be arranged through one of those offices.

I don't mean to tromp on anyone's feelings, and forgive me if I misunderstand, but it seems that some of you are asking for special tours, special rides considerations, discounts, etc., for whenever you happen to show up, simply because you're a member of SDCFans.com.  If SDC agreed to that kind of arrangement, I would be very surprised.  They can't be expected to have someone on call everyday to accommodate special behind-the-scenes tours, special rides before the ride is open to the public, etc., etc., anytime someone shows up and says they're a member of SDCFans.com. 

On the other hand, a special outing for the group as a whole is easily arranged through one of the offices I posted links to above.  That is if it can get organized on this end. 

I haven't seen this thread until now, otherwise I would have spoken up sooner. Zephon has stated it above better than I can. Any type of official outing at the park for SDCFans is pretty much out of the question at this time, I would think. It takes a LOT of time and effort on behalf of the park to accommodate such events, and they will not do it for free just because they have fans on a particular website.

At this time I think the most appropriate endeavor would be throwing an unofficial get-together within our group at the park sometime. I think taking the community from online to in-person interactions at the park would be a huge step by itself, and frankly, that would be more than I have ever bargained for by running this site. I would be fine with it through, provided steps are taken to ensure it went down OK.

I very much doubt that any group from this site will ever be offered any special perks. That's simply not a marketing strategy even the seemingly altruistic personalities at SDC would entertain. However, there are already several options out there for us hardcore fans to take advantage of. Each December the park hosts a fairly intensive event organized by a local chapter of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, which has tons of perks associated with it. It certainly costs a pretty penny to join ACE just for that, but you have to remember that these types of things aren't organized for free.

If you aren't already, be sure to follow SDC on facebook and join silverdollarcityblog.com where you can join in on the special offers that the park throws out from time to time.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
I don't believe anyone expects personal perks on an individual basis, but an outing is certainly a possibility.  While we don't ask for lofty dues to help offset any extra perks, I do think a particular recognition of SDCFans would be offered to a small group - even if someone like Junior would like to show us around outside of current park employees.  One special ride or tour wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, if for no other reason than to recognize the free advertising this site offers to the City.  Perhaps, if this was made an annual event, a different small tour or ride could be performed each year.  I agree that we shouldn't expect something for nothing in the line of perks - special gifts, let's say - but a ride or tour could be arranged at minimal or no cost, using current staff and not adding to park expenses.

I also think we do ourselves a disservice if we equate such an event with ACE.  That's a whole other type of group with a whole different agenda, and it's certainly not productive for us to go in with guns drawn with the attitude that "they get it, so we want it, too," as if we jealously deserve something just because we saw our distant cousin with one.

I'm working on some little things in this direction a little more privately at this time - just from the organization standpoint.  All does not have to be discussed in the public forum concerning the organization for the simple fact that we don't need to get bogged down in making suggestions before we even know if there is any interest from SDC in hosting our group.  As I said, I think that's the first thing we need to do.  If there is no interest there, we'll see what else might be arranged on our own.  Of course, none of this has to happen in the '10 season.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:04:59 AM by History Buff »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
OK, for all of you who are interested, we're putting some legs on this.  There are some organizational things and initial contacts being made soon - plus some other considerations and things I would have never thought about without the help of the moderators and shavethewhales.  I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, and we'll open some new ones when we need specific input from everyone.  Thanks to all for supporting the idea so far.