Author Topic: Special perks for SDCFans.com?  (Read 11600 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Special perks for SDCFans.com?
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
A few of us somehow got off topic on the Quantrill Special Collections thread about SDCFans.com...What do you think? Do you think our little group at SDCFans.com has grown enough to have SAVETHEWHALES approach SDC directly, asking for some kind of group perks? Free passes? Special merchandise offers? Discounts on food and drinks? After all, SDCFans.com folks are a goodwill group, folks who LOVE SDC, and promote the park via Internet and by word of mouth...something must be working, because SDCFans.com has been recognized on the official SDC website!?!?! So how about it? Be realistic, what could SDC offer our little group in the way of perks? A behind the scenes tour? A bit of "face time" with Jack and Pete to voice our concerns and to praise the company for what it does right? A special event in Reunion Hall with some of the long time employees who could tell us their stories...ya know, Terry Sanders, Jae McFerrin, and so on...Come on! Let's hear from you...Whattda say? Whattda think? ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:37:08 AM by History Buff »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Special perks for SDCFans.com?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
I think they have offered me something more than money can buy or perks they can offer.  They have helped me create a lifetime of good memories and ones that I treasure.

Everything important is not always materialistic.

There are not many  places that I can name that when I walk thru the gates that I feel that I am back home.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »
I think we elect a representative or two to take our case to the "suits." I am not sure what to ask for. Maybe our reps and SDC have a brainstorming session? I think if you go in with many ideas it sets up for too much negotiation. Like "How about this?" "No, we cant do that?" "Ok, how about that?" "No, we cant do that either." It bogs down with two many things getting knocked down. Maybe just go in and ask what they think could be done? I know that gives them all the power of suggestion, but this is just my opinion. Junior, you seem like a logical choice to do this.
Andymeets1880s

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
I think it'd be great if some of us could just meet with the powers that be like some of you have been saying. I think we'd get some really good ideas flowing, and hopefully help give some pointers on how to get the park moving back towards the direction it was in the past. We're passionate about this park and I think we'd have good, doable suggestions.

I feel like we could really make a difference.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:38:37 AM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
I get the feeling this is going to come to fruition! Maybe later than sooner, but I am seeing some real determination cooking!
Andymeets1880s

DalesDaMan3

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
I Really like the behind the scenes idea!!!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
I think that would be really awesome if something like that could be arranged for SDCfans.com members. This website is jam packed with people who love SDC, and they have some great ideas. And having the oppourtunity to get behind the scenes tours and most of the things junior listed, could give us the chance to share those ideas that really could benefit the park. :)
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
If they would give me permission, I'd lead ya'll on a behind the scenes trip through the old days...We would have to have one or two current citizens to show you the newer stuff like PK, Thunderation, and Wildfire, Grand Exposition and Wilson's Farm and RiverBlast...those things are all new since I left. But I'd take you around the plunge where the float trip used to be, and through Lost River where the diving bell was, as well as a few other sites around park the general public does not get to see. Maybe a walk through the atmosphere barn to see all the old props and antiques they decorate the park with, maybe a behind the scenes tour of flooded mine and FITH with the lights on...you get the picture.
-
Wouldn't it be nice to sit down with Jack and Pete and ask 'em a whole lot of questions about the early days when they helped develop the cave and built the first buildings on the park?
-
Maybe a look into company archives...old photos of days gone by.
-
Perhaps a sneak peek at concepts and new ideas that have yet to go before the public?
-

Suggestions, anyone?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
Or what about a special book...containing full scripts of such "lost" attractions and shows as:

-Early saloon show  -boxing show   -rainmaker   -diving bell   -medicine show

Or a CD with:   FITH song, Flooded Mine song, -Recorded opening ceremony  -closing ceremony
                     in the old days they played background music across the park that was bluegrass
                     and so on..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
You are the idea man, Junior.  Of course, I also want FitH with lights off and maybe a gander at a special exhibit put together by rube just for the occasion.  Surely there is some part of Marvel that is not open to the public; I'd like to see that.  It would be nice if employee who are members of our group could have some time to interact with us.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
In the updated Ronald Martin book about Marvel Cave that I have, it mentions Jack's son, Bruce Herschend, and some friends discovered two previously unknown passages. It would be great to see those. Bruce now operates Talking Rocks.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »
This is very similar to the model that Disney just launched for their D23 club.   They get all the perks that you have mentioned above (tour of Walt Disney Archives, Imagineering, breakfast with so-and-so, attraction/show previews before guests) and think this would be an excellent model for Herschend.

With D23 though, you have to pay a membership to get these perks and become part of this group, otherwise everyone and their dog would sign up just to get the perks.  It seems unlikely that unless that level is in place, Herschend would do this.

Not trying to throw up any roadbloacks, but just think it makes more sense to introduce a business plan to make the business case stronger.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

Or a CD with:   FITH song, Flooded Mine song, -Recorded opening ceremony  -closing ceremony
                     in the old days they played background music across the park that was bluegrass
                     and so on..

My husband and I have asked about a CD with such music before.  I have a Disney tape with songs from the attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.   We were told that it couldn't be done because of legal issues in crediting those who recorded the songs and paying royalties.  However, someone else could give it a try!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »
^^How much is the membership fee Mike?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »
This may earn me the ire of many, but it seems to me like SDC is the one place that is bigger than these kinds of establishments/clubs.  It has always felt to me like the park--all aspects of it--should always be available to everyone.  Granted, there are things like ERT for season pass holders and behind-the-scenes tours for media groups, but overall SDC is a place unlike any other.  Like I've mentioned before, I felt guilty the one time I bought a Trailblazer pass...