Author Topic: Movie & Book Discussion  (Read 7887 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Movie & Book Discussion
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
I know most of you guys on here have kids but even if you don't, GO SEE Toy Story 3!! I grew up with the movies and I'm not ashamed to say it made me cry. There actually wasn't a dry eye in the theater after the movie. It is a great movie, and I highly recommend it.

I also saw A-Team a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed it as well.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Movie & Book Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
Toy Story 2 was a tear jerker for me. I know...toys do not come alive when we leave the room, however, making people think of the things they leave behind as they grow is a bit of a sad time. Yes many things come that are more exciting, and complex, but a childs imagination, and the hours spent with that one toy are priceless, and sad to think that as we grow, we lose that. Mine was a brontosaurus that my dad made and stuffed for me out of comoflauge material. One thing about SDC is that like those times when I was younger (since I am still young!) it allows me to walk a place and go back to when I first remember the park (I have been going for 29 yrs, but only remember from about 26yrs ago and on). Itsounds weird, but I could be there tomorrow, and I could feel 10 again.

I will not miss TS3. I have been waiting for years for this. I was tentative about the movie during the Pixar/Disney issues about 5-6 yrs ago, Disney was going to take over the Pixar titles, and rights. The story line by Disney (Not Pixar) was that Buzz Lightyear (who in TS1 almost was voiced by Billy Crystal who turned the role down) and his entire toy line recalled back to Taiwan (where the Buzz Lightyear toys are made) due to a defect.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
^You won't be disappointed. I am also happy with how the Disney/Pixar negotiations worked out. Pixar just doesn't make a bad movie.

And it's hard to imagine Buzz Lightyear being voiced by anyone but Tim Allen. Tom Hanks and Allen are perfect for the two main characters.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »
When I first heard about these 3D movies a year or so ago, I didn't think too much about them as I remember the 3D stuff from when I was a kid...and it was a joke...plus I got a headache. However, I've seen Toy Story 1 and 2, Alice in Wonderland, and a Christmas Carol plus Avitar, all in the new 3D, and I am a BIG FAN. Took my wife to Christmas Carol and had her ducking under the seats each time something floated towards us...she came close to loosing her cookies a time or two, and cannot handle the new 3D!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:30:08 AM »
I honestly don't mind 2D.  3D is OK as an occasional treat, but I don't need it all the time.  Of course, I would have be happy if Andy Griffith and the Beverly Hillbillies had stayed black and white, too.

We may see TS3 this afternoon.  I do think Ratatouille was a disappointment, but the rest of Pixar's library is wonderful.  The scene in Up where the couple receives the news from the doctor reduces me to tears.  Cars is terrific.  And the Toy Story trilogy (what I've seen) is priceless.

I am always wary of a sequel trend, and Disney has the worst animation sequels ever.  They should leave success alone and allow them to become classics so they can merchandise them into eternity.

Wouldn't a totally Pixar theme park be awesome?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »
^Yes!! A Pixar theme park would be amazing!! And I liked Ratatouille much more than I did A Bug's Life. In my opinion, A Bug's Life is the worst Pixar film. As for the sequels, I completely agree, with the exception of Toy Story. Both of the Toy Story sequels are as good as the original IMO.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »
I saw Andy Griffith and Beverly Hillbillies mentioned and thought I might wedge in some TV talk too. Isnt it funny how Sheriff Andy Taylor was so backwoods and nice in the beginning, but towards the end of the B/W era and into the colored shows, he got really cranky and stern?! I wish I could actually ask Griffith the question "Why did you get meaner and cranky as the show went on?!" I could understand CBS making him less "woodsy" or "bumpkin", but the way his character evolved was weird.

I am probably in the minority here, but I really liked Deputy Warren Ferguson. Granted, he was no where near Barney, not even close. But Jack Burns' implementing of his trademark "Huh? Huh? Huh?" was neat. I loved to see people get flustered when he did it!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
One of my favorite all time movies is "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer! Some of the lines in that movie are just awesome! The scene where Earp (Russell) confronts Johnny Tyler (Billy Bob Thornton) in the Oriental Saloon is great!

"Go ahead...skin that smokewagon and see what happens!"

"I said throw down, boy!"

And Holliday's (Kilmer) quips like "I'll be your huckleberry" and "Ain't that a daisy?"
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
Like many here I had the opportunity to meet Buck Taylor -who was in Tombstone at SDC a few years back, and I love his work. I was somewhat unaware of his roles in tv and film other than Gunsmoke, until after I met him, but his watercolor work is awesome.

http://www.bucktaylor.com/

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
I just saw Toy Story 3 last night. I really liked it but it made me want to cry! :'(
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
I've got a couple books on TAGS and it says that Andy was getting a bit tired and burnt out toward the end of the original run, because he wore so many hats...he did a lot of the behind the scenes stuff as well as acting. That's why it changed to Mayberry RFD toward the end. And,  you're right...TAGS is better in a black and white world. All the characters in the show, including the simpleton car mechanic, barber and the town drunk, were shown as full citizens of the town, people that were loved by the others around them...no matter what crazy situation they got themselves in, in the end they were allowed to have their dignity. Even when Barney acted out and went overboard...Helen and Andy, after escaping from a cave, went back into it so Barney could have his dignity after organizing a search party. Goober was admired by Floyd for putting together a car inside the courthouse. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
After seeing Toy Story 3 tonight, that said, I loved the movie. I can honestly say I have not cried that much at a movie ever. By no means am I a big hunky rippling monster of a man, but I rarely cry at movies. The story line was good, and I was glad we paid the extra $5 each for the 3-D effects.

GO SEE IT!!!!!!!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
Stinkin' kids movie!  Sniff.   :'(  You're right.  I am easily emotional, but usually I can hold it back with some manly dignity in the dark theater.  TS3 had me with tears streaming down my face, and I promise I almost sobbed out loud.  I loved the first scene for what it was.  There was a slow moment when they arrived at the daycare.  Potato Head rocked.  Green guys rocked.  I know people like the Barbie/Ken scenes, but I really hate it when they try to put the dirty stuff in with a family movie.  Still, Pixar can put together amazing storylines that no one in their right mind would ever dream up on his own.  I wonder how many kids are wondering why their parents are crying...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
^^You had to pay 5 dollars extra? At our theater it is only 2...

^And I love the adult humor in animated movies, but I don't have kids to think about either. Pixar just doesn't make a bad movie....they are the best in the business. And I'm still not ashamed to say I cried. Seeing as everyone else did as well.  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:55:04 PM by Coaster »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Look for the nods to other Pixar movies...that is always fun.
There were 2 in Toy Story 3 that I know of.....

One really cool hint to Toy Story 3's new character was in Up:
Lotso the Bear appears next to the little girl's bed when Carl's house floats past her window.
http://thefilmstage.com/2009/05/15/toy-story-3-trailer-attached-to-up-new-character-revealed/