Author Topic: New Opera House Show: "Marmoros"  (Read 6449 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Opera House Show: "Marmoros"
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
I like this idea HB. I think SDC does need to do some more things focusing on Ozarks history.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
Those of  you old enough to remember: The Hatfield Haint, The Boxing Show, Melvin The Chicken Thief Show, Original Saloon Show with Carrie Nation, Calton Family Show, Swing and Turn Jubilee, John Goldsberry Show, Horsecreek Band, The Medicine Show, The Rainmaker Show...all theatrical or musical shows produced by SDC in years past. I'm all for bringing some of these back, plus adding a few new ones...like the opera house idea.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »
Those shows were the heyday of my memories.  I want to put those shows into rotation in the Riverfront Playhouse (and bring back Carrie Nation!!!), with the full-blown musicals in the Opera House.  Get enough, and start rotating the musicals, too.  They would never get old.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »
  Has anyone seen the holographic show at the Lincoln Library in Springfield, IL?

I have, multiple times.  I've even seen different actors play the part.  It's incredible.  If any of you ever get a chance to go to the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield, IL.  This show is worth the price of admission itself.  It would be great if SDC could incorporate that type or technology into a show.  But I'm guessing it's pretty expensive.  Maybe they could get a sponsor to pay for it?

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
  Has anyone seen the holographic show at the Lincoln Library in Springfield, IL?

I have, multiple times.  I've even seen different actors play the part.  It's incredible.  If any of you ever get a chance to go to the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield, IL.  This show is worth the price of admission itself.  It would be great if SDC could incorporate that type or technology into a show.  But I'm guessing it's pretty expensive.  Maybe they could get a sponsor to pay for it?

I agree that the Lincoln Museum in Springfield is awesome.  It would be great if SDC could do something like that show.  I could visit that museum over and over; I enjoyed everything about it, including the Eyes of Lincoln presentation.  I believe that museum was done by a company that specializes in that kind of entertainment who have done projects for theme parks.  I agree, though, the price is probably expensive.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
It is absolutely the best museum I have ever been to and both shows are incredible, but the Ghosts of the Library is unbelievable.  We visited during its first week of being open, and I must have sat for five minutes with my jaw on the floor after the show ended.  Couldn't you see that at SDC?  I wouldn't want to rip off the outline, but Ghosts of Marmaros does have a ring to it.  BTW, even in the Lincoln Museum, that show is sponsored.

I will mention that the thing that put a lump in my throat was looking through the glass and realizing that MY reflection was in Abraham Lincoln's shaving mirror.  I felt like I was touching Lincoln.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
Ghosts of Marmoros would be awesome!  They could start in the 1880's and segue to today or vica versa.  Either way it would be a killer show.  Or how 'bout this.  The show features a solitary actor who tells the history of Marmoros/SDC using holograms and then at the end while showing a live picture of main street he just fades away. I too sat mouth-opened several minutes after the first time I saw the show at the Lincoln museum.  The most sobering moment I ever had there was when they had a special exhibit on Lincoln's assassination.  They had the pair of gloves he had worn to the theater that night. They were white and kinda small (long but narrow) and they had blood stains on them.  Looking at those was very chilling.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 12:59:52 AM »
I, too, stared at the bloodstains, amazed that a president's blood was on display in such a manner, or that they even had those artifacts at all.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:23 AM »
It is absolutely the best museum I have ever been to and both shows are incredible, but the Ghosts of the Library is unbelievable.  We visited during its first week of being open, and I must have sat for five minutes with my jaw on the floor after the show ended.  Couldn't you see that at SDC?  I wouldn't want to rip off the outline, but Ghosts of Marmaros does have a ring to it.  BTW, even in the Lincoln Museum, that show is sponsored.

I will mention that the thing that put a lump in my throat was looking through the glass and realizing that MY reflection was in Abraham Lincoln's shaving mirror.  I felt like I was touching Lincoln.

I agree about it being the best museum experience!  I was ready to find more museums like that, but, at the time I looked, I didn't see anything remotely similar out there.  I try to explain the experience to people who haven't been, and I can't do it justice.  Also, the details of that museum are well-done, much like details to SDC.  I remember feeling the heat off the stove in the White House kitchen.  One of the most moving scenes for me is the scene with Willie sick in bed.  Or the last scene in the tour.  But I digress...

Bring on the technology, SDC!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »
I looked up that Lincoln show ya'll were talking about and... OMG I want to go to that museum!!!

So here's the page for Holavision, which is the tech used for Ghosts of the Library:

www.brcweb.com/about/holavision.html

Knott's Berry Farm, according to this page, has had a Holavision theater for 14 years!

Seeing as how Dollywood has a nice 3D (or is it 4D?) theater, I think perhaps it's SDC's turn for a bit of technology.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »
I'm guessing it would take a whole new theater, constructed for the purpose of the holographic show.  It would be difficult to adapt a current venue.  I'm also guessing the theater has to be intimate, so its possible this would have to be a reservation show (not an upcharge or Show Lovers, but a pre-reserved ticket).

However, how about replacing Boatworks with this?  I wonder how much room there is in that location.