Author Topic: Anyone remember the tragedy?  (Read 6864 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember the tragedy?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »
^^ No, I don't think so.  The main reason given was to shorten the ride so they could send more people through in a given amount of time.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
That FITH accident article (two articles, actually) are posted on what is currently page 7 of my Flickr account, about half way down.

Shortcut directly to the article: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan/4284445519/

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Thanks, KBCraig!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
You are right Zephon, shortening the ride was for capacity reasons only.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
I had heard of this incident, but I thought it had happened closer to the same time that SDC opened until I read the date of those articles. How did he end up in an empty train that was about to be put in the maintenance area?
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
Both of the two cars in the train had people in them. A dispatcher mistakenly routed the train into the maintenance area. Maintenance men saw what happened, shouted out to the people, and the people on the first car ducked and missed the low overhang, the fellow in the front of the second car didn't duck, and his head struck the overhang.  The event occurred in 1980.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"