Author Topic: "Winter's Bone" Movie filmed in the Ozarks  (Read 4595 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
"Winter's Bone" Movie filmed in the Ozarks
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
This caught my ear on NPR today.  This film is apparently set and filmed in Taney county and made it all the way to the Sundance Film Festival where it won the Grand Jury prize!  The film is called Winter's Bone.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127769089
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: "Winter's Bone" Movie filmed in the Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
Interesting,I only knew of one of the main actors-Jennifer Lawrence from her role as the daughter on TBS "Bill Engvall Show".

"the story of a hardcore, teenage girl that is on the hunt for her crystal-meth-making father who has skipped bail and gone missing. This is not an “easy” film to watch, but if you like slow, suspenseful dramatic thrillers with lots of strong performances, you’ve found yourself at the right film." http://screencrave.com/2010-06-10/the-winters-bone-movie-review/

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Yeah, not a feel good film by any means, but if you grew up or still live in the Ozarks, you know how much of this rings true.  My small home town has a meth bust every other day it seems.

What is interesting about the film is the use of actual residents and even their houses...no sets!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »
Sadly that is the story for most areas of MO, mine included.
Daniel Woodrell sets most of his novels in the Ozarks (He is from Springfield MO).I will definitely have to check it out.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:10 PM »
It seems like I have heard something about the film...possibly during the time it was in production. Question: Did Terry Sanders' youngest son participate in this as an actor? Seems like one of his kids has been in a film or two. I believe the oldest has his own rock band. I think all four family members still are at Shepherd of the Hills.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
the website IMDB does not list any of the Sanders names.  Of course, they could be in the film in a non-speaking capacity? Not sure what consitutes IMDB.com listing actors.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
I know Terry's kid was in a movie in the last year or two. It was on his Website for a while, but I don't remember seeing it lately. Terry, by the way, is featured in the new Joan Rivers movie! She's been getting notice for this...it kind of follows her around on stage and off...I think Terry is featured as one of several Joan impersonators.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"