Author Topic: Bell's Developments  (Read 51798 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bell's Developments
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2021, 09:24:26 PM »
It has been announced 5-6 times over the years they were opening in a new location.  I will believe it when I see it.  If it really does happen, I wonder who the money is behind it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
The only other time they announced being "back" was when they had a temporary agreement to operate a few rides at a flea market. They opened like three kids rides and a big inflatable slide, and had a kiddie coaster and tiltawhirl halfway setup, but never completed. It operated briefly before they gave up due to lack of interest and the flea market owner getting annoyed at them (probably because they dumped pieces of Bell's all over the damn place, lol). They have been posting about this land deal for almost two years though, and that has contributed to the perception of them always "announcing" when in reality this is the deal they've been hoping for all these years. They've never made it to actually purchasing land before. This is the real deal.

Still a long ways to go, and their messaging still sucks, but I believe they will build something within the next year. It will probably just be a small kiddie park to start with, and I'm sure there will be a huge backlash because people now expect them to build a big park with Zingo and everything all at once. Heck, I expect there to be backlash in a couple months from people who expect the park to be ready to open already now that it's been announced.

I wish they would provide a better update telling the public what to expect and approximately when. Of course, they are probably scared of setting timelines considering the numerous delays and unexpected setbacks over the years.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »

I was in BA yesterday and thought I'd drive over and take a look at the area. It's a nice open area in general. Will definitely fill up with development soon, so Bell's is coming in at the right time before they build too many houses or apartments too close to the site. There are a few houses catty-corner to the site, but once you factor in parking and other buffers, I don't think they'll be too bothered by the noise. The highway probably makes more noise anyway. The entrance to the creek turnpike immediately in front of the site is very ideal. If Bell's is smart they'll push for a signalized intersection right there that turns into the property.

Only sign of life so far is the temporary fence. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if there are any signs of surveying/clearing visible from the road that would indicate they are moving forward. Not sure if they are still working on designs or what at this point since no timeline was ever given.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2021, 03:13:42 PM »
Because closing and gutting Bells from the fairgrounds wasn't enough, now the Skyride is in danger. Maybe they can just sell it back to the Bell family for their new park in BA. https://www.tulsaskyride.org/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:15:38 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
This is very interesting: https://basentinel.town.news/g/broken-arrow-ok/n/65448/market-study-likely-bells-property-amusement-park-not-guaranteed

The owner's of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is the entity actually behind all this. They are taking a step back and re-evaluating if Bell's is quite what they want to do or open it up to other developments. Robby really dropped the ball on this as usual. The neighbor concerns were never addressed and now his backers are having to come out and slow everything down and take control from him.

If we get a nice outdoor mall with a few rides, that could be a good compromise. I still want the amusement/water park though obviously.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2022, 06:36:28 PM »
Had a feeling. Just like before. I figured it was all too good to be true.
Time to say it... "It's dead, Jim."

EDIT: I kinda feel like these PR events is just him desperately trying to stay relevant. As sad as it is.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:37:59 PM by sdcfan88 »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2022, 06:36:53 PM »
As I mentioned before, there have been 4-5 times Bell's has announced they are back and something is in the works, but it always falls thru.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2022, 08:54:31 PM »
Well it hasn't fallen through yet! Like the article states, it's the Santa Cruz boardwalk people involved, as in owners of an existing amusement park. I think Bell's involvement may be getting curtailed, but that doesn't mean we won't be getting a park of some sort. It just remains to be seen if it will be anything like Robby described earlier and I have a feeling it won't. Our own version of the boardwalk would be badass though. Just give me a decent coaster, seriously.

Or maybe a comparison to Kemah is even better? Kemah is a ton of fun.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »
Well it hasn't fallen through yet! Like the article states, it's the Santa Cruz boardwalk people involved, as in owners of an existing amusement park. I think Bell's involvement may be getting curtailed, but that doesn't mean we won't be getting a park of some sort. It just remains to be seen if it will be anything like Robby described earlier and I have a feeling it won't. Our own version of the boardwalk would be badass though. Just give me a decent coaster, seriously.

Or maybe a comparison to Kemah is even better? Kemah is a ton of fun.

I imagine they saw the value in the name but that isndisappearing fast. If they wan a Kemah type development, they need to talk the City of Memphis about Mud Island smack dab in the middle of two major interstates.and growing river cruise port.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2022, 07:09:40 PM »
I kinda feel like these PR events is just him desperately trying to stay relevant. As sad as it is.

Sounds like my suspicions are becoming more valid... this just spilled https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/bell-family-not-formally-involved-in-development-plans-despite-amusement-park-announcement

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/bells-amusement-park-plans-slow-down-as-owners-debate-use-for-broken-arrow-land

The FB page is also getting blown up with upset people feeling conned now with the announcement officially being declared premature.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 07:36:10 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
It's just more bad messaging from Bell's as usual. Bell's is "formally" involved. You can drive by and see Robby out there working. They aren't putting up much money if any though and the project is entirely controlled by the Santa Cruz people. Robby is basically their local project representative, and he's doing a really bad job.

I've expounded many times before that Robby is his own worst enemy. He just can't help but shoot himself in the foot. I don't know why he didn't specify that Bell's was working with a financial backer, or why he didn't address the OBVIOUS neighbor concerns early on. He makes these statements that lead to more questions that he never intends on answering then acts surprised when there's backlash and people don't trust him. He thinks he can just do whatever in the background and it will all just work out somehow in the end. He doesn't understand PR at all.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2023, 05:04:30 PM »

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2023, 02:41:59 PM »
Just FYI......when Robby made the press conference, it wasn't all talk without substance.

They had been working on it for more than two years at that point, we did preliminary plot plans, utility agreements, earth change permits, met with the City multiple times, was in the middle of a traffic study, working with the Corps of Engineers on jurisdictional determinations, etc. - in fact work on this started in 2019 and then Covid hit and put it on hold. We were given the green light to start again in 2021 and was moving forward. I had several conversations with the "California" people who at that time wanted to remain anonymous and the City didn't even know the group involved.

The project was to a point where some major decisions had to be made on how to move forward and I sent the options to the team in California. We almost had the traffic study at the preliminary report phase when I got the call from California telling us to temporarily halt the project. I called Robby and he didn't even know at that point that California put it on hold. The next week they contacted City of Broken Arrow and that's when it was made public.

We were told at the time they would reevaluate the project and determine how to proceed. However, a couple weeks ago I received a call saying they wanted to sell the land, so I provided all our survey information to the land agent. The intent to sell has now been made public.

I hate this for the Bell's family because they were working hard not just for themselves but also the group from California. I'm not sure why they abruptly pulled the plug on the project (considering they purchased the land) but as with any company, sometimes business decisions are made that aren't what we want to happen.

I just put this out there because Robby really believed this was the real deal this time. It wasn't just an idea and him jumping the gun. He wants to bring Bell's back has been working to live and make it happen. Things were pressing forward, and I really hate that it didn't happen for them, Broken Arrow, Tulsa, etc.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2023, 06:22:13 PM »
So who paid for all of these traffic studies etc?  The California people, the Bells people?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2023, 03:55:21 AM »
The California group paid all our contracts, project expenses, etc.