Author Topic: Quirky things to do at SDC  (Read 3424 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Quirky things to do at SDC
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
One of the fun things we like to do at the City is hang out near the train depot and watch people "jump" when the train blows it's whistle as it's departing the depot.  I've seen peole spill drinks, scream, jump 5 feet in the air, etc.   But they always end up laughing about it afterward. Especially fun when it's a group of teenage girls.  They "scare" real good. It's like watching the scarecrow "come to life" outside of the Hospitality House during the Fall festival.  Anyone else have anything unusual they would like to share?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Quirky things to do at SDC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
I always enjoy people watching, too. It's funny to watch them spin the buggy wheel of fortune, look in the peephole at Grandfathers Mansion, and stand in the coffin at Grandfathers Mansion exit. As a teenage and 20 something "citizen" my coworkers and I very much enjoyed girl watching...flirting...trying to pick up...and so on. If you see and speak to a hundred gals a day, one almost always says yes to a date! Nuff said. (But those were fun times.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
I enjoy watching Terry in the Fall when he is dressed as the scarecrow. He catches people off guard and scares others, but it is great to watch

Cardinal Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
I've never seen Terry as the scarecrow.  I would be one of those screaming though if he jumped out at me...lol.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »
LOL  My favorite quirky little thing to do happened a long time ago.

When I first started to work there, one of my jobs was as an "atmosphere character" in the mid-town area.  I would walk around, talking to people, playing my guitar and singing kids songs.  I would wander around the shops, and through the treehouse, and Grandfather's Mansion, just hangin' out.  My favorite thing to do was in the Mansion.  Down at the bottom of the stairs, I would stand in a corner of the little room just before the billiard table, as still as a statue.  Sometimes I would be holding out my hand as if ready to shake hands with someone, sometimes I would, with a bend at the elbow, be raising my hand to tip my hat and lowering it again, like a mechanical man.  People would come around the corner, some seeing me, some not.  Some would startle, some would not. Often I just let them walk on by.  But sometimes they would come up and touch me, usually my hand, sometimes my cheek.  They would exclaim "Oh my God, he feels real!" or "He's warm!" or something like that.  Others would swear "He's not real!"  Often, I would just let them go on their way...but sometimes I would say "I am real!" or something appropriate to the comment they had made...or sometimes I would squeeze back if they had grabbed my hand.  I can hardly describe the various reactions.  Some would scream and scramble to get away, while their friends a few steps farther away were all laughing hysterically.  Some would nearly faint and I would have to reach out and catch them.  Some would slap at me, trying to get away yelling "No, No, No."  It was supremely hilarious.  Often, people would exit, go get their friends and come back again, just to see their reaction.  Often, a crowd gathered at the upper end of the room, just waiting to see the reaction of the next person to come around the corner. 

It was some of the most fun I've ever had at SDC.  And I must say, I created a lot of memories for a lot of people.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »
Zephon, some of my best fun things to do included the Mansion as well. There is a secret room behind a two way mirror that I could gain access to, and I would go in it, wait for someone to look in the mirror, and then shine a flashlight on my face! Whew, they needed to install a rest room next to the mirror! The reactions were priceless. The back of the mirror was secured with an eye hook, and after scaring the pants of people, I sometimes would unhook the mirror, swing it open on hings, and walk through the wall into the room. You can clear a room of people VERY FAST like that! :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
^^I think you got a few in our group with that one.

A friend of mine and I have been known to "take a stage" and perform at Christmas.  We even pulled people from the crowd and made them sing along with us.  Then we convinced them they were on Candid Camera before letting them off the hook, pointing to one of the Christmas lights and telling them that's the camera.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating