Author Topic: Anniversary Check-in  (Read 4187 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Anniversary Check-in
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
Tinmann and I are on Main Street right now. I'm wearing my white SDCfans banner/dollar tshirt. I'm redheaded and overweight. You can't miss me. LOL

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Anniversary Check-in
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
I'd just edit my first post, but I can't on my phone.

We're at the Apple Butter shop right now, but we'll probably be getting in line for the noon event soon.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
It's about 1:15pm, anybody got an update on how things are going today? How did opening ceremony go, and how about the noon celebration at Echo Hollow? Love to hear from you, and please, post some pictures! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
The opening ceremony was just like they've been doing this year, so it wasn't anything new. Only different thing was a bit of sparkly fireworks when we got to zero on the countdown to opening.

The line for the noon show was enormous by 10am. It was cloudy and kept sprinkling.

We had a fairly good rain as we came in to be seated. But lo and behold. as the show got underway, the rain stopped, the clouds dissipated, and by the time show was over, me and Tinmann both were quite baked. I *knew* I shoulda gotten some sunscreen.

I was stupid and forgot my camcorder battery at home in the charger. So I've had to be careful with what I vid on my camera. It won't be as good quality as my camcorder, but it'll do (I hope).

To be honest, besides the noon show, there isn't anything I've felt like taping, so I'm not quite as mad at myself as I was when we got on the tram this morning. LOL

Anyway, we've gotten tons of pics, and the day ain't nearly over! Talk ya'll later!

Joy

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the review. now, how about the employee reunion today? Anybody get in there, and what happened? Thanks again, I sure wish I could have been there today!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:39:08 PM »
Hey, Junior, I spoke to the girls at the reception desk, and they said to have you contact them & they'd hold copies of the program, for you.  I was the only "general public" person allowed in, and I took tons of pics, hoping you'd recognize the ones you worked with!  :)  I have 750 to edit, in the morning, so hopefully you'll get to see them Sunday.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
tinmann, what is your affiliation with SDC? Do you just have the hook-up?

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
I've made some wonderful lifetime friends, at the city, they're like my second family.  I was invited to the reunion, but quietly left when it became a full house, then Jack came outside briefly & invited us back in.  The Herschends & their citizens are great people...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »
Thanks, Tinnman!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
Take a look at the photos submitted to the Springfield News Leader at the link listed above. I've added some of my diving bell photos and a few from the old float trip.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »
I've made some wonderful lifetime friends, at the city, they're like my second family.  I was invited to the reunion, but quietly left when it became a full house, then Jack came outside briefly & invited us back in.  The Herschends & their citizens are great people...

Sure is a great place! When I think of SDC, all I see is family!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
Uploading the employee reunion pics to flicker, first, right now.  I need to say it was a pleasure meeting the dozens of families, that are on here!  (One member turned out to be an old classmate, great surprise)  Sadly, my battery died before I could get pics of the GIANT dance on the square, everyone was having a blast, young & old :)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
Here you go, Junior, & all the other former employees that couldn't make it!  (and of course, the rest of the gang)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/sets/72157623976723148/
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
Want to thank you for the pictures! I did see Vivian, a Tom Sawyer's Landing gal, Bruce Herschend, Pete and Jack, but those were the only recognizable faces. Remember, 26 years have passed, and I'm sure many of the folks I'd worked with have gone grey and lost those slim figures, just like me! Also saw Gene Bortner in the photos, my, he has aged, too! But, all and all, looks like it was a fun event. Thanks again for the pictures. :D