Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 127458 times)

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
Like I've said before in another thread, what's not cool about an abandoned park?!  To me it's not an eyesore it's eye candy.  Maybe it's just the photographer in me. ???
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
If you like abandoned parks, head to Harrison and see what's left of Dogpatch. Then drive on over by Eureka and visit what's left of Dinosaur World. I've been by both places in the last year and they are just falling apart.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »

Went to Dogpatch as a kid, saw some videos on YouTube.  I have a bunch of memoribilia from there!

Surfinsooner67

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »
Definitely need to take down Wildcat and at least clean the property up for future endeavors. Really somewhat of an eyesore seeing it just sit and rot.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
Definitely need to take down Wildcat and at least clean the property up for future endeavors. Really somewhat of an eyesore seeing it just sit and rot.

there's faint hope, Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom has sat SBNO longer than OzCat and it's getting refurbed from the folks at RMC.

Surfinsooner67

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Actually Celebration City was a nice little change after a day at SDC. The Fireworks show always was a great attraction every evening. Somewhat miss that part of it but in reality I can't remember a time I went in the park and it was full..

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
Heard through the grapevine, it may become a Zoo.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
Heard through the grapevine, it may become a Zoo.

A Wild Adventures type place?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
Gotta get that road improvement work west of town done before too much happens at the CC site, at least according to a Pete Herschend interview from a year or two ago.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Gotta get that road improvement work west of town done before too much happens at the CC site, at least according to a Pete Herschend interview from a year or two ago.

There's lots of room to the west and south for some expansion. But.... That road will be some time in waiting.

I still like the idea of a free entry(pay parking) entertainment district with a micro brewery, bowling alley, stadium seating and dining movie theaters, a possible retro drive in, a dance hall(Toby Keith's I Love this Bar type place) with a mix of sitdown full service and fast casual dining options,  and retail in a faux downtown type setting like Downtown Disney with rides mixed in that's ala carte or wristband for rides. A empty structure or two for haunts in the fall. The retail is important for year round viability along with a hotel with an indoor waterpark and I suggest permanent infrastructure be in place to offer ice stating and I recently found this concept that's up in Indiana
summertime:

Winter time:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:39:52 PM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
I don't think anything is happening at the CC site. They are pretty resolute about the whole road extension thing, and the chain is too focused on other properties to worry about the CC site anytime soon. Unless they get a good offer to sell to place, or start offloading it into parcels, I expect to have to wait a few more years to see anything happen to the place - and even then I expect it to be sold off somehow.

The whole Zoo/Animal theme park thing was definitely proposed and kicked around soon after CC closed down. There are some concept photos floating out there somewhere that leaked after the chain had already shot the idea down.

I've seen a lot of good ideas for the place, but actually turning them into reality is ridiculously tough, and no one is willing to take the risk at this point.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »
Is it still owned by Herschend?  I thought a church bought it, or did they just lease it?  I think the entertainment district idea is too close to the Landing concept. 

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »

What road work are they wanting done? They already got 465 and 376, and 248 is pretty much a direct route to CC.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »

What road work are they wanting done? They already got 465 and 376, and 248 is pretty much a direct route to CC.
The western loop that's basically an interstate bypass. It dead ends right there at 76 where you cross over it and doesn't go further south, it'll be 20 years before they do a thing in my opinion, It'll require a new bridge over Table Rock to hook back up with 65

and..... The landing is an outdoor mall with some restaurants  and a fire and water show. It has no bowling alley, stadium seating theater or the dine in drafthouse concept I've mentioned, late night live music venues, a micro brewery and there's plenty of other restaurants out there certainly a themed restaurant like those in the Landry's' portfolio. It doesn't have rides/midway and certainly no hotels that cater to families like one with an indoor water park would. There's plenty of other retailers out there as well.

A mix between Downtown Disney and Kemah Boardwalk with more dining and retail options.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »
That is 465. I guess since I am always coming from the north I don't consider that there really isn't a good way to get there from the south.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett