Author Topic: Ozark Mountain Jubilee  (Read 4152 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Ozark Mountain Jubilee
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »
In the early 80s the Oak Ridge Boys had a hit song called "Ozark Mountain Jubilee" and it had a line about getting on the Frisco/Silver Dollar Line. Anybody know who wrote that song, and if if has something to do with the Branson area? Specifically, SDC's Frisco/Silver Dollar Line. I've always been curious about that, and have never really seen any info about the song and the song writer.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

travcojim

• View Profile
Re: Ozark Mountain Jubilee
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
It was written by S Anders; R Murrah,  I have always liked to think it was written about SDC,  if you read the lyrics there is a few lines that refer to the area, 'stone throws from Little Rock, and so on,   

I hear a rooster crowin'
It's a frosty mornin'
I can almost see the sign
Goin' so fast I can't stop
I'm just a stones-throw from Little Rock
Headin' for that Missouri line

Don't need a map to get there
You can get there from anywhere
When you're goin' in your head
I can see the arms outreachin'
Just like the day I was leavin'
It's been oh so many years.

Let me get on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line
Take my time
And see all I can see
Fiddler rosin up your bow
We'll have our own
Ozark Mountain Jubilee

If I can't be a favorite son
I'll be the prodigal one
'Cause I've been gone too long
Oh how the years have flown by
Oh how I've realized
How much of me is gone.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the lyrics. Were the writers from the ozarks, or inspired by them? I think the song may have reached the top ten or maybe hit number one on the country chart, around 85 or 86 or 87.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
A song that talks about both my home town of Little Rock, and Silver Dollar City? That's a top 10 song in my book! ;D

travcojim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
Thought I would post this, It is an answer from Roger Murrah, co writer of the song,

Thank you for your interest in our song.

As you rightly stated, my friend, Scott Anders, and I wrote "Ozark Mountain Jubilee." Scott comes from a Tennessee/Kentucky background and I was born and raised in Athens, Alabama, but have always had relatives living in Arkansas. We both now live in the Nashville area.

As we began writing the song (which is completely fictional - but, we believe, contains a lot of real and universal emotion), we had no preconceived idea of the location referenced in the lyrics. The location only began to develop when we wrote the line "Going so fast I can't stop"... If you'll notice the next line "I'm just a stone's throw from Little Rock" was actually written with the objective to rhyme "rock" with "stop". Then it made sense to us to let the region of the country referred to in the song be near there... thus the line "headin' for that Missouri line." One other post script... we also thought it was an area of the country that we had not heard a lot of songs written about.

We got the idea for "Frisco Silver Dollar line" out of a geographical book that I just happened to have in my office at the time. We didn't learn until later that it was a train-line in a park attraction. We just liked the way it sounded. Although the song is fictional, it never-the-less contains a lot of real emotion of the human dilemma and, of all the songs I've ever had a part in writing, it is probably my favorite.

By the way, it was not until many years after writing the song that I actually visited that area of Arkansas/Missouri, when I was invited on a rainbow trout fishing trip. Traveling through those beautiful hills was very surreal, fulfilling and gratifying to me.

Fortunately, this song has been discussed a lot through the years by songwriters and others who have just enjoyed listening to it and have identified with it for one reason or another.

The interesting thing about this is... regardless of the area of our country that a person may come from, those emotions are no less true and shared by people everywhere... it's the human experience.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now, you know the rest of the story."

Sincerely,

Roger Murrah

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
I was surprised, but happy to see the above posting. It was nice of the fellow to respond. A good song is a good song. He's right...we've connected to that song because of the lyrics. It was a big hit for the Oak Ridge Boys and I've always wondered about the lyrics. Thanks for the above post.