Author Topic: Random Stuff Round-Up  (Read 49274 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Random Stuff Round-Up
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »
So I've been considering adding a page to the site of all the random and pointless SDC facts out there that are little known and easily forgotten.

Here's a few examples -

The Grand Exposition was originally slated to be take the place of Tom Sawyer's Landing
A Wild Mouse coaster was proposed to take the place of the Waterboggin (Thanks, Copper)
Grandfather's Mansion once had a ladder that lead up to a hole in the ceiling where visitors could chat with Grandpa.

Anyone know any others?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Round-Up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
Put something in there about AP's concrete tunnel. Also, most people don't know that SDC's post office is a real working post office.

Interesting idea Steve.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
There has been talk, just talk; about a wooden coaster taking the place of Echo Hollow.

The characters in the Flooded Mine are modeled after real Citizens (employees) of the city.

There is a section in Fire in the Hole that has been removed. I added this to Wikipedia before I knew of this site.
“An interesting fact to Fire in the Hole is a section of the ride has been removed. After the first dip (Collapsing Bridge) the ride would turn right and later reconnect in front of the second dip. (Train Collision) If you look close at the scene where the cabin is burning there is a moon and some stars above one of the old track areas. Also when you see the sign “Kinney Bridge” on your left is a large open area where scenes once existed.”
I peronally don’t remember this section in Fire in the Hole, does anyone?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
^Heh, I knew they must be considering a woodie, all the enthusiasts like myself are begging them for one. I don't see why they would take out Echo Hollow for it though, as that's their largest theatre' if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently when Geyser Gulch was built, it was supposed to have a stage with daily live shows, and in-between shows, characters such as Rube Dugin and other old favorites would roam around the area, interacting with guests.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »
I'm not that old so no I don't remember that. I seriously doubt that Echo Hollow is going to be replaced.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
I don’t think removing Echo Hollow would be wise. It is where all of their big shows for big crowds are held. I do know that attendence to the Nightly shows have slipped tramendously, but I think that has more to do with the Entertainemtn Department making bad decisions.
Long before Celebration City they prepossed new sections to SDC. You would start in 1880’s SDC and then travel to the 1920’s, 1940’s, 1960’s and so forth. This was back when they were having trouble deciding, “Should we build larger rides and how should we incorporate them in to our theme?”

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
I don't think Echo Hollow is going to be replaced. A woodie sure would look nice though. Just not in that spot.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »
Long before Celebration City they prepossed new sections to SDC. You would start in 1880’s SDC and then travel to the 1920’s, 1940’s, 1960’s and so forth. This was back when they were having trouble deciding, “Should we build larger rides and how should we incorporate them in to our theme?”

Ugg, so they were considering going the Dollywood route. That would have been awful, as the beauty of SDC, in my opinion, is in it's charm and feel. When I go to SDC, I feel like I'm in a whole different world. At any other park, including DW, I'm just at another amusement park. Not that DW is bad, it just has so much less atmosphere and charm than SDC. I hope they keep to the singular city theme as long as possible.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:48:16 PM »
Yeah it wouldn't make any sense for SDC to go in a new direction in some areas of the park. They consider SDC a real 1880's town. So say, off in a corner of the city you go to the 1920's?? That'd make no sense at all. You'd have to go through a time machine. SDC would be stupid if they did that.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
I don't remember the old track part of FitH, but I do remember when the bridge used to collapse...

Hmmm... Random trivia... Well, if you go on the Marvel Cave tour either before Memorial Day or on a day when the waterfall room is flooded, you'll be taken along the upper trail, and that's where you can see the reproduction of the Lynches' cabin that was used by Harold Bell Wright when he was writing Shepherd of the Hills (which, BTW, is 100 years old this year; I myself have got a first edition copy that my dad got me last year for my b-day).

Ummmm... Well, the petting zoo used to be over in Tom Sawyer's Landing near Becky's Carousel.

SDC used to give out silver dollars as change as a way of promoting the park when they first named it "Silver Dollar City".

The Main Street Square where the Gazebo Stage is now used to be the parking lot for the park.

A piece of info from Conductor Sam is that when Citizens reach a certain anniversary of working at the park (I think it's 25 years), it is commemorated by making a sign that uses their name that is then put up somewhere in the park. Terry Sanders has his hanging up next to the little waterfall at Mary's Springhouse; it says "Elect Terry Wayne Sanders for Stone County Judge"... it also says "Birdie Tweedle, Campaign Manager". Birdie Tweedle is the name of the Deputy character that Terry plays at SDC.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
I don't remember the old track part of FitH, but I do remember when the bridge used to collapse...

Hmmm... Random trivia... Well, if you go on the Marvel Cave tour either before Memorial Day or on a day when the waterfall room is flooded, you'll be taken along the upper trail, and that's where you can see the reproduction of the Lynches' cabin that was used by Harold Bell Wright when he was writing Shepherd of the Hills (which, BTW, is 100 years old this year; I myself have got a first edition copy that my dad got me last year for my b-day).

The Main Street Square where the Gazebo Stage is now used to be the parking lot for the park.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Interesting. I knew about everything in your post except for those two items. I think you'd make a very good SDC Citizen Joy.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 09:10:34 PM »
Thanks, Coaster. It's been my dream for a few years now to work fulltime as a Citizen of SDC.

Something else that used to go on at SDC is they used to have a "Boardwalk Tour", where they'd have a Citizen take people around and tour the park. Of course, that was back before they'd expanded extremely far, but I've still always thought it'd be awesome to have a VIP tour like I've heard some other parks have. Tell cool trivia that people may not know, and maybe as part of being on the VIP tour get an exclusive VIP pin.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »
I think a Broadway tour would be good.

Kind of off topic, but where would you want to work in SDC Joy?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 09:50:30 PM »
I'd kinda like to work at the turnstiles, 'cause I'd love to be able to be the one to welcome people to the park and tell them that they've "got a great past ahead of [them]".

That, or at the umbrella stalls. Being the artist that I am, the idea of sitting at a booth and painting things on umbrellas really appeals to me. Although I guess they've got an airbrush tattoo stand in the Expo now? I wouldn't mind doing that.

Are there any parks besides Disney that do VIP tours?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »
^Universal, Busch Gardens, some Cedar Fair parks, and even a few SF parks have something like a VIP program. It gets pretty gay sometimes though. Just like with fast-passes, they can start a class warfare within the park, with many people like myself feeling that we shouldn't have to pay to get into the park and then more to enjoy ourselves.