Author Topic: Random Stuff Round-Up  (Read 49277 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Round-Up
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »
Well, for me, I think the best type of tour for SDC would not be anything more than, say, $5 (if not free), and would be more of a history tour than an exclusivisity type thing. The description of the Boardwalk Tour was basically a history lesson, similar to paying a bit extra to do the Lantern Light tour at Marvel Cave. Of course, back then, the tour was only $1 a person.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »
Yeah, I don't know if I'd need to go to a VIP tour at SDC anymore though, just because of all the things I've learned here on Steve's site. Mainly the forum.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 11:37:57 PM »
There has been talk, just talk; about a wooden coaster taking the place of Echo Hollow.

The characters in the Flooded Mine are modeled after real Citizens (employees) of the city.

There is a section in Fire in the Hole that has been removed. I added this to Wikipedia before I knew of this site.
“An interesting fact to Fire in the Hole is a section of the ride has been removed. After the first dip (Collapsing Bridge) the ride would turn right and later reconnect in front of the second dip. (Train Collision) If you look close at the scene where the cabin is burning there is a moon and some stars above one of the old track areas. Also when you see the sign “Kinney Bridge” on your left is a large open area where scenes once existed.”
I peronally don’t remember this section in Fire in the Hole, does anyone?

Hi,

I have been reading the forum and have really enjoyed the memories.  When I was a kid the Fire In the Hole was a little longer.  At one point the train would head toward a piece of glowing twisted track that looked as though you were going to fly off into the canyon below.  It was only visible in the front, but was a really nice visual.  At the last second you would whip in another direction.  It might have been the whip that became a liability making them take it out. The trains were car or two longer also making the ride a little faster.  Anyway, great site!

Also, the tree house ended with a small dark cave with hand rails and the only thing that lit it up was what seemed like a million little stars.  The cave is still there right next to the christmas shop.  When they closed that portion they just diverted guests out a different exit. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:49:40 PM by Hatfield McCoy »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 11:47:12 PM »

Thanks for the info! Welcome to the site!

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 11:55:56 PM »
Thanks Copper.

I also remember the street performers being a much more integral part of the SDC experience.  The street shows were pretty elaborate.  The Hatfield and McCoy feud was entertaining, and a few times a day the "Rain Maker" man would drive his mule drawn wagon to the main street  to make it rain.  He would peddle snake oils and such, and in the end he would make it rain by pushing a lever that made water shoot out the top of his wagon contraption.  His wagon is still in the park.  The last time I saw it was on main street.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »
^I think they're trying to bring back some of the roving entertainers, I know that they now have a random show out on the main square a couple of times daily, and I've seen a few of the old stilt walkers around as well. I had never heard of the Rain Maker though, thanks for the info.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »
yes i do remember there being another scene in fire in the hole but i don't remeber much the train if i can remember used to come from the side of you and not the front if i do recall, and did you guys know that there is tunnels under the city for maintince and stuff like that i found that out form a friend that used to work at sdc.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 04:13:07 PM »
^Do you know where any of the tunnels are?  The place certainly isn't Disney World, but I could see there being a tunnel under the Main Square.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »
yeah he said just the bigger areas of the park like the main square and tunnels that lead off to other bigger areas like down tom's fort and stuff like that.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:34 PM »
I would love to see more costumed characters roaming around the park. If they keep the Tom Sawyer theming, I would love to see Mark Twain characters roaming around. Since Disney has done away with their Tom Sawyer stuff, it'd be nice to see SDC continue to preserve the memory of some of the best characters in the history of literature.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
yeah that would be really cool to see.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 07:53:02 PM »
I think the idea proposed last night was a great one. Moving all the Tom Sawyer stuff up to Geyser Gulch. They could so pull off that area, as a Mark Twain character. I can just see Mark Twain walking around the park right now.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
If they ever added a Mark Twain reenactor, they'd probably have to restrain me so I don't glomp him. L O L... j/k

But seriously, anything that could help teach the next generations about the greatest American novelist is fine by me. I was saddened when I mentioned Mark Twain to my 14-year-old cousin and she had no idea who I was talking about. I knew who he was by age 5, and I had never even been to Missouri yet (grew up in California).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 09:20:33 PM »
I didn't know him at that early of an age but I've known him for awhile now. And I've lived in Missouri my whole life.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
Well, throughout most of the U.S., Mark Twain's works are required reading in high school, so most kids even now have some idea of who the characters.

Anyway, back on track. Anyone know more about those roving characters? Do they appear very often, or are they sporadic and only on certain days?