Author Topic: Random Stuff Round-Up  (Read 49318 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Random Stuff Round-Up
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
O.K.
Another Quick one.
The Craft festival was the citys first festival, to get more attendance on the off season in the fall.
The spring was there next focas with "Root Diggin Days" featuring Ozark Herbalist Chick Allen. Games were the big draw like taffy pulls, Red Flannel Underwear Getin' out of Contests, and my fav, A main street tug of war. All comers against a two ton steam engine!!
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
There is a doorway to the right of the "Do not look in this hole" hole. One of those employee only things? (If its still there that is) Just up from Jack and Mary's? There is (or was?) a coart yard with a tree in the middle just behind that door. rock wall and seating around it. Theaming on the back of Grandfathers mansion and the other buildings around it. Why?  This is the old mid town public restroom area. Before the ones at the bottem of hill street (Cardiac Hill) were built. Just a pointless fact ;)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
Wow. That is weird. I had never heard of that. I doubt it is there anymore though.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
[There is a doorway to the right of the "Do not look in this hole" hole. One of those employee only things? (If its still there that is) Just up from Jack and Mary's? There is (or was?) a coart yard with a tree in the middle just behind that door. rock wall and seating around it. Theaming on the back of Grandfathers mansion and the other buildings around it. Why?  This is the old mid town public restroom area. Before the ones at the bottem of hill street (Cardiac Hill) were built. Just a pointless fact

It is still there.  I opened the door just to Check.  There was a nice lady on her way out.  She let me in to look around. (only at SDC would they let you do that)

The building to the left of the curlycue bridge over the train tracks in midtown, is the sight of the origanal train depot!. Last time I looked there were still stairs down there.

They stairs are still there.   They are really overgrown but they are there.

I had so much fun looking around the park for the things we talk about on this site.

“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
^Very neat.

Heh, this might sound weird, but if anyone can get a photo of the stairs, I'm sure visitors to this site will appreciate it.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »
O.K. a new hunt then. There is a large rock outside the woodcarvers shop by the swinging bridge. Innocent looking isn't it. everyone sits on it. It was placed there for a publicity stunt that wasn't well thought out.
Ben Bunyar, SCD's old visiting stone carver, was comissioned to chalange the woodcarvers by carving a stone indian as an ansure to their wooden ones. They erected a tent to shelter the huge stone and Ben shook his head in dismay. But, he went ahead anyway......within five minutes the tent was so filled with stone dust that no one could stay in it.  Next day the tent was gone and the rock remains to this day. ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
It is still there.  I opened the door just to Check.  There was a nice lady on her way out.  She let me in to look around. (only at SDC would they let you do that)

I, too, looked through the gate there.  Do you think someone wonders why people were suddenly interested in the old restrooms?

They stairs are still there.   They are really overgrown but they are there.

I always wondered what those steps were for.

I had so much fun looking around the park for the things we talk about on this site.

It kind of adds a new dimension to things, doesn't it? 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »
Here's one most people probably overlook.  To the left of the best restrooms in the City - the ones attached to Red Gold Hall - is a cabin for nursing mothers (I promise that's not why I was over there.).  A sign on the cabin identifies is as a replica of Shad's cabin which was located within a few feet of where the current structure sits.

Does that mean Shad was an owner of part of the land where the City is now?  I always wondered about his stock in the company.  He was as much a "logo" of the park as the ax is.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
Nope. Shad rented the old house which also served as the ticket window in the days when you took the train into the city. He was never to my knowledge a part owner.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
http://www.hfecorp.com/History/
Picture of shads  entrance next the sign Marvel Cave Park 300 yards.
by for now!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2008, 07:07:23 PM »

You just opened the door an employee let you walk in an Employee's Only type area? That is so cool!!

I know! I remember when I first went to the park after I found this site. It makes SDC even MORE fun!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
Here's a postcard with what I'm assuming is the old train depot:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/sdc_joy/Personal%20SDC%20Collection/Postcards/S6300244.jpg

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
That is a picture of the depot where you got on the train behind "Shad's House". It was only recently torn down for the Red and Gold Hall. Picture the Frisco Barn a bit past it on the left and behind the train a 100 yards or so, the Waterboggin Tower. You got off at the midtown depot when you arrived in town. Cool way to enter town, but restrictive in capacity. The poor little trains were underpowered too. Before the track was regraided there was actualy a chain lift to pull the train up one slope. The robbery was actualy designed to give the train a place to top up on water because that would also run out before getting "Home".

By the Way, unrelated, but the waterboggen got it's name in an employee contest. My fav. entry named it after our longtime mayor, "The Heller HighWater Ride" ;D
Wow this realy is Random Stuff isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:48:04 PM by Old Guy »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
Frisco Silver Dollar Line� a steam train� is added.
The train had once been owned by Henry Ford and was purchased for Silver Dollar City at a cost of $15,000.

Does anyone know any more about this?  I'd never heard this until looking at this site.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
I once heard a conductor state that one of the trains was used in WWII - is this true? It seemed a bit small for any major use.