Author Topic: Portal needed between "modern" and "theme" areas?  (Read 11462 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Portal needed between "modern" and "theme" areas?
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
This is my Facebook comment to the SDC announcement of World-Fest:

While I'd enjoy all those acts, I've never understood how they're supposed to fit the theme. Because they don't, obviously. Neither does KidFest and Nickelodeon.

Maybe the park needs a "time portal": once inside the gates, you can stay in the 1880s, or transport yourself into modern entertainment.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Portal needed between "modern" and "theme" areas?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
I was always of the understanding that the time portal transfer began at the Harvey Water Clock and was completed when you stepped through the double glass doors of the Hospitality House onto Main Street, Silver Dollar City. Regarding the current festivals held on park, they've had to do what it takes to attract crowds and make money. I loved the Mountain Folks Music Festival, Spring Crafts Festival, and Fall Crafts Festival, but they are gone. Mountain Folks Music Festival is now World Fest, Fall Crafts Festival is the National Harvest Festival. I don't like the idea of cartoon characters cruising the streets of SDC myself, but, it draws kids, and therefore mom and dad with their wallets.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
I don't see the issue with the festivals.  World Fest could be viewed as a Worlds Fair has descended upon the city and while the exhibits are all back in the GE area, they had to spread the other countries out around the city to make room for the masses coming in to see them.

Kidsfest is not really all that intrusive.  You cannot see most of the stuff from the midways except on the square and even there you can claim that there is some sort of Children's Festival in town - not too hard to see a connection there.

Picnic, BBQ, Harvest Festival fit the town to a tee,

Christmas, well you'll just have to get over it, it's the biggest money maker.
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
I've always said that we need to move all of the crafters and log cabins from the homestead out to the train loop (the section of track where we have the robbery, wreck of 87, and such) and build a depot there, and have an 1880's town by itself with nothing modern in sight.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
i think them theme holds well throughout the park and does not suffer from the need for revenue.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
When I first saw this topic, I thought it was going to be about how you can see cars in the employee parking lot while going up the lift on Thunderation. Of course that was a few years ago, and things may have changed now. :P

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
^No, you can still see the cars there.

And I love all the festivals. The one that comes closest to breaking the theme is KidsFest but I don't really mind it as much as everyone else.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »
Theme Issues that bother me:  1) Backside of FITH has no theming. On Train guests see bare concrete blocks, and the emergency escapes. Ivy covering a concrete block wall is not theming. 2) On Train, as you pass the train shed at the rear of the park, the fencing is too low and you can see into the "backstage" area and as train passes along the edge of Lake Silver, fencing too low and you see cars pass on Highway 76. 3) On Thunderation, you see the employee parking lot, and the back of the large metal building (Warehouse, kitchen, offices, costume dept and other facilities housed inside) is not themed. A big, blue metal building in the woods is not very 1880's. 4) Wilderness Church picture window...lovely condos by the lakeside. Nuff said. 5) Grand Exposition should not have been built where it is. It sits right at the intersection of Indian Pt. Rd and Hwy 76. The attractions are visible from the roadway. On the rides, you can glimpse the cars and road. I understand they are running out of real estate, but better planning and more attention to detail need to be shown. Off my soapbox now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
Unfortunately, seeing the condos from the Wilderness Church window is unavoidable. Which came first? The church, or the condos? I mean uh, the chicken, or the egg? ;) The same problem exist on Wildfire as well. However, at least both of these scenic blunders are not so obvious that they are in your face.

I completely agree about the Grand Exposition! Not only can you see the cars passing by, but you can hear them as well. I don't believe there were automobiles driving on the other side of the tree line in 1880. :D

Now I am not trying to deviate too far off topic, but I think the Grand Exposition itself breaks the theme. Everything looks so manufactured, and plastic instead of being simple, and rustic. When I am in downtown Silver Dollar City I feel like I am in 1880. When I step into the Grand Exposition, I feel like I just walked onto a 2010 theme park.

Whew, okay I feel better now! Back on topic.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:13:49 AM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Ditto, Ozark BBQ! ;)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »

some of the home charm is slipping away.
We are moving into a more generic park look in the kids area.
I hope if they bring the shot tower from CC they put is away from my eyes.  I cannot see how they will
make it fit.
Now the back of FITH is at least green, I like the ivy, honestly I tyhink it looks better than a 3 story box in the middle of the 1800's.
I cant see any other way to do that.

But
PLEASE, PLEASE take away those kidsfest and fall festival cut out people with the freaky faces, they are horrible, ugly, I cant make any excuse for them.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
kids fest is the only major problem i have. it needs to go, but im sure it wont because the mighty dollar rules

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Kidsfest is kind of a false festival:  a few activities in the "carousel barn", a few decorations in the square, a couple of completely out-of-theme acts selected from a catalog, and kids in cartoon suits?  Does anyone really only come because of these?  We watch cartoons on TV and don't need to see them towering over us.  This festival actually keeps us away (and we have a 6-year-old).

(and the chicken came first)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:56:40 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
Personally, I think the park is just busy during the summer, and that just happens to be when KidsFest is. They could completely re-theme KidsFest to fit better into the 1880s, and you'd probably still get the same number of people coming in.

Me, I wanna see some white-washing competitions and other such fun stuff in Tom Sawyer's Landing. Play hoop games and other games pioneer kids played. It'd be tons of fun without the need for Nickelodeon characters and whatever else.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
The back of FITH was supposed to be themed when they built the Giant Swing, it was supposed to look like an old Cider House, but I think budget cuts has tossed that aside, bad economy or something like that. I think they could easily mix the 1880s with what they are doing today. Take the magic show in the Opera House, why can’t he be dressed in a tux like Houdini and have his assistants dressed in beautiful Victorian costumes and no modern music, something like jazzy ragtime intertwined with weird magician music or something like that. As for World-Fest, It was originally supposed to celebrate the other countries 1880s, why can’t it continue to do that? Just use your imagination, it cost efficient!