Author Topic: Ever seen a Snake at SDC?  (Read 10618 times)

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
Re: Ever seen a Snake at SDC?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
When I was at opening day just last week I overheard a group of people talking about "they heard" from someone else that a snake was spotted in the park that morning. No idea where or if it was true. I myself have never seen one there. I do remember when they remodeled the Flooded Mine into The Great Shoot Out the rumor we heard was that the whole ride had to be cleaned out and remodeled because a snake fell into a boat of passengers. According to the rumor, they discovered several nests of water snakes when they cleaned it out. Obviously not true since it's not on the record anywhere; but at the time we were freaked out about it.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
which rides have chlorinated waters? this would help answer if in fact snakes-in this case water snakes could thrive in a ride. And on that note, does the water from Lost river/Geyser Gulch affect the wildlife in any way? I assumed that it was in some way filtered, and or chlorinated to use in a ride. The color alone of the rides near opening day is not even close to a real water color! The waterfall was an ice blue color!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »
I learned from a Disney expert a few years ago that they actually color the waters in at least the Jungle Cruise ride in order to hide the machinery below the surface.  (I had to ask because its a rather unnatural color of green.) 

I wonder if they do the same at SDC?  I was kind of surprised at how easily you could see the rails on the RB ride in the pictures I've seen so far, but that might change as summer comes on and there's more algae growth.
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »
dye went into the channel at the float trip, american plunge, and flooded mine over the years. It came in a bag and was in granular form. just a little in a scoop took care of the float trip for a week or two. Too much at once, and the water color really got weird looking. Get it on your hands, and you got blue green hands for a while.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »
which rides have chlorinated waters? this would help answer if in fact snakes-in this case water snakes could thrive in a ride. And on that note, does the water from Lost river/Geyser Gulch affect the wildlife in any way? I assumed that it was in some way filtered, and or chlorinated to use in a ride. The color alone of the rides near opening day is not even close to a real water color! The waterfall was an ice blue color!

I have heard that there is a very low amount of chlorination in lake silver, and a few years ago too much was added...and a lot of floaters surfaced...but I'm not totally sure thats true.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
A couple of Falls ago, the family (Me, Mommy, and the 2 girls) were walking over by the jerky area and a small snake crossed our path.  My wife hates snakes, so the girls all had screaming contests.  I made the mistake of laughing...again.  Never good to do that.
Vote to end 2020!

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
I saw the same possum as Rube and have seen more than my fair share of chipmunks and squirrels, LARGE spiders (orb-weavers) in the flowers around the Grand Exposition area, and, of course, bats in the cave but never a snake. 

Yea but did you ever see a bat in the belfry? (bad joke...hehe)
Avid fan for 42 years.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Here's a two-fer. No falls, AND the ice blue water opening weekend,

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
I miss walking back there!  I got a shot with them running this past weekend, when I was looking at the old covered path
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Wow, that is one of the most depressing pictures I have seen from Silver Dollar City. Turn the water fall back on!

Back on topic, here is photographic PROOF that there have been snakes at Silver Dollar City.  ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/3994476148/in/set-72157604198827174/
(Photo Credit: Dustin Holmes)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
Ha! Good one, Ozark Barbecue.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sonobabe2000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
After visiting the park every year since I was 12, I finally saw a snake last summer.  We went in early June, during the Kids Fest, and while we were on the boardwalk waiting in line for Lost River...someone yelled "LOOK A SNAKE" and sure enough, a copperhead was swimming right towards us.  I could not believe it.  Luckily the water was well below the boardwalk level, but it still freaked me out.

YUCK
Mel

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
I thought I'd seen a snake there before, but now I'm scratching my head. I'm not sure.

I've seen plenty of lizards, though.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »
I've seen snakes at the City, not often slithering across the streets, but more in the trees and gravel roads that meander around the park.  Killed a few of them too.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 07:09:48 PM »
Saw my first today, while working on cleaning up the "wreck of 82" I opened the firebox and what fell out? A copperhead!