Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157940 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »
I noticed the PK operators were dancing around and having a good time when I was there too, but I didn't think much of it. Great insight betamike, I'm eager to hear the comparison review after MM.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2010, 02:46:46 AM »
I'll be at SDC on Friday. This will be my first summer visit EVER. It's also the first time I'll ride the water rides. I'm hoping the crowds won't be too ridiculous. Since it is the week before school starts for most youngins, I'm optimistic.

I hope it's Kevin Bacon's day off.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
It'd be swell to have bumped into you or Tinaalsgirl...or anyone from the forum!

You crack me up haytater.  There's always six degrees from Kevin Bacon!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #348 on: August 09, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
Let us all, at this time, observe a moment of silence for the passing of Kidsfest and Moonlight MADness.

Amen.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 09, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »
I have to share with you a thought about M.M.
2 years ago on a trip to DisneyWorld we were told all about Extra magic Hours, where you get in early or stay later than the public as  perk for being a hotel guest.  WE did this one time, never to go back, considering just how many people there were at the extra magic hours you couldnt ride anything because of the crowds and the shops were closed.  After that night I decided that this " Perk" was Disneys covert crowd control.  Selling this special perk only to Disney Hotel guests ( all 30,000) rooms worth, they knew where the bulk of these people would be depending on the park they were expanding hours for on that day.
After my MM experience I have decided that if SDC can open the park for .33 longer at the end of the day and charge 50% admission fee thats a smart move and a great profit, especially considering the lack of employees it takes as teh shops are closed and most of the restaurants are also closed.  Smart move SDC.
I will however also do what I did at Disneys Extra Hours, I will now avoid this at all costs.
Its what I liek to think of as " fast easy money"
We have a Disney Phile here on the boards, what are you thoughts on this?

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »
"Magic After Hours" parks seem to have higher attendance that day as Disney has manipulated patrons into choosing the park which produces the most value that day.  Then, that park gets even more crowded when the other parks close and the park hoppers decide to get a few more rides in for the day.  I decided my last trip to Disney to NEVER attend the Magic Extra Hours park of the day. 

But, alas, onto Silver Dollar City.  I went Sunday, August 8, because I had promised the kids we'd go to Moonlight Madness and figured the last day was better than breaking that promise.  Here are my thoughts in a few brief blurbs:

With little food and no shows, the median age of visitor plunged through the afternoon.  By 9:00 pm, the average age of patron appeared to be 15.  Also, the amount of people I talked to claiming to be first time visitors was much higher than normal (for me).

Parking shuttles either underestimated demand (unlikely) or couldn't get enough labor to show up to meet demand (more likely).

I intentionally avoided the dance party to maintain my good attitude.

It was great to ride the wet rides in the dark (something you can't do at Christmas).

Then I saw THIS in the entrance queue to the flooded mine:

Sorry about the terrible quality. 1) It was dark and I had to adjust the contract to pull out the graffiti.  2) It was from my iPhone and the battery was about gone.
This covered the entire front of one of the crates in the entrance queue to the Flooded Mine.
Knowing how quickly such things are dealt with in the City; I assumed it to be very fresh.

I don't know why I let this bug me so much, but it pretty much put a damper on my fun for the night.  Why do I take such things so personally?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:32 PM »

I hope that's gone now...................
That spreads like fire in the forest if its not stopped.
Its tough to have a positive attitude with the MM as it is, it does attract a different crowd. The employees are not positive about it it either, neither by there actions or what some of them said to me last Thursday.
Man I hope that tag is gone.

Can anyone report on this?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
I hope you emailed that pic to SDC as well.  
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 09, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
Anyone know where to send the pic?  I'd love to see it dealt with in a prompt manner.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Graffiti happens all the time at the park, but they are quick to find and cover it. I'm sure it's probably gone by now. You  can contact them at http://bransonsilverdollarcity.com/contactus/ though if you feel the need.

On a lighter note, TPR visited the park this weekend and had a blast. http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56333&start=110

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 09, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
The entire wall at the front of Wildfire is covered in names, and all the dates are 2010.

Yeah, wish I'd run into you, Mike! I told my friend to be on the lookout for someone resembling Alan Cumming, but she didn't know who that was, LOL.

Joe, you might have actually enjoyed the street dance. I'd say that's the only positive use of modern music in the park for MM.

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 09, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
Truth be told, I wanted to head up, check it out, and post some dance party goodness on Youtube.  But the chil'uns wanted to ride the evil frogs and teacups all evening.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 09, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
I walked past the dance on my way out of the park, and it was loud, and the flashing lights and electric slide was enough to make me feel like I was at a wedding reception or a high school dance rather than a barn dance, or a square dance that it could be. I could see a bluegrass cover band playing hits of the 80's 90's etc. If you think that sounds original, it is pretty widespread....There are bluegrass CDs dedicated to any pop/ rock artist you could think of. I love bluegrass, and have many of these on my iPod.

It is the "Pickin' on.......(insert band name here) Series"...Check this out if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/89638?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 09, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
Yeah, I remember someone mentioning (maybe it was you, Rube) Pickin' On before. I went looking on Amazon and spent over an hour listening to samples. LOL

I'd love to see them make custom country versions of all the songs they do at the Street Dance.

On a totally unrelated note... I noticed they already have Christmas lights on buildings!!! In fact, on the side of the Pottery building, the lights were actually on!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »
I love those pickin' on series of music.  Got most of them on my iPhone as well. 

Thanks for trying Tinaalsgirl.  I had a blast today!   Much better than my MM experience and you could tell everyone was there to appreciate the crafts and atmosphere.  I'll just say this about Extra Magic Hours...if you aren't a Disney Resort Guest, go to a different park on that day.  Imagine all resort guests plus everyone else.  It's like knowing not to eat at noon at a theme park.  Just don't do it.

Took the cave tour today and it was so refreshing!  Also saw Copper which was cool!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!