Author Topic: Save the Hillbillies!  (Read 22271 times)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Save the Hillbillies!
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
Note:  this topic has been moved from another thread.

FYI rumor:  SDC officials want to move away from any "hillbilly" or any "derogatory" characters.  The "new" corporate image may be showing it's ugly face, so, if any of you miss any familiar "characters", PLEASE pass along your disapproval to the appropriate management...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:36:48 PM by History Buff »
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
^ thats bad news :(

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
^Political correctness is everywhere!  Don't tell me "hillbillies" are now a protected minority!!  Somebody better tell Jeff Foxworthy!   :o
In His grip!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
FYI rumor:  SDC officials want to move away from any "hillbilly" or any "derogatory" characters.  The "new" corporate image may be showing it's ugly face, so, if any of you miss any familiar "characters", PLEASE pass along your disapproval to the appropriate management...

So does that mean they've moved out of the caboose finally?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
I even have a page from a textbook about Missouri that explains what hillbillies were.  It is very complimentary and, like "redneck", used to indicate hardworkers who used their own ingenuity to survive the rocky hills.  The old hillbillies of comedy fame are endearing.  We all love Li'l Abner and Jethro, as well as the Branson and Eureka Springs hillbillies that teach us to stop taking ourselves so seriously and lighten up on occasion.  Many were deeply religious people, family types who would fight for their principles.  Since corporate is outside of Missouri now, perhaps they are unable to see the reality of the hills like those of us who have studied it for ourselves.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »
They were basket weavers, wood carvers, pottery throwers, farmers, and so much more.  They raised ears of corn, flocks of sheep, and dozens of dirt-worn children, without the use of county agriculture agents, chemical pesticides, or educational psychologists.  They made lye soap, pulled taffy, and rode circuits to preach the Gospel.  They hung their laundry on fences, fixed broken items with their own hands, and buried their own family members in the dry, rocky soil of a bald knob.

Here's to the hillbillies - the hard working sons and daughters who lived in the hills, built their own cabins, and laid the foundation of today's Branson and Silver Dollar City.  We should all be as lucky to have been raised by folks who didn't take the easy way, who weren't defeated by the difficult earth, and who shone like sunlight amidst darkness and diversity.

May we never forget the humble hillbilly!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:51:39 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
(And occasionally they made some moonshine and took a cold shower outside an abandoned train caboose.)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:40 PM »
They call them HoBo's at the caboose.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
Ah, well in dat case, trow dem bums outa dere!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
Preach it History Buff!  And while you're at it maybe you can bring us newbies up to speed about the changes in HFE that resulted in "corporate" being outside of Missouri.  Just where are these decisions being made? ???
In His grip!

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
Not surprising at all.  After that very PC environmental and economic impact survey that was sent out.  Does anyone know if there has been any change in leadership and the corporate level?  This smacks of new blood in the leadership ranks?

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »
If I am not mistaken I believe they moved the head office to Atlanta?  This was to been closer to their new acqusitions and be in a city with a larger pool of corporate talent.  Once again, not surprising at all.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »
^The corporate website explains that the home office is now in Georgia.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
While SDC may distance itself from terms and characters that can be deemed racist or derogatory, I highly doubt they're really moving away from the hillbilly aspects of things. They did just open an entire ride themed around Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, and half of the t-shirts sold at the park are sloganed with various redneck sayings. They also just completed a generous refurbishment of FITH, which of course is themed around the baldknobbers. I also noticed just a year or two ago that the J&P figures next to TNT's helix had be re-set up and cleaned up, and I'll bet the hobos out on the caboose have received some attention too.

So I don't really see where the park is losing it's hillbilly love. I was actually pleased to see how much they've done with Huck Finn, considering the controversies there.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 08:08:53 AM »
YEAH, tell me you're joking about this one! SDC With no hillbillies is just too far fetched. I know some of the old time employees who've made a career at the park for over 30 years sometimes don't like Georgia telling them what to do, but Georgia is WAY OUTTA TOUCH with the roots of the company if they get THAT politcially correct. I guess I am from the old school way of thinking, but my opinion is corporate headquarters should always be upstairs from the ticket booths at SDC...not in another state. That's my two cents worth, and I'll get off the soapbox.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"