Author Topic: Save the Hillbillies!  (Read 22458 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
I agree about not getting too worked up just yet. I mean after all this is nothing more than a simple “rumor.” Let’s wait, and panic, and flail our arms wildly when, or if it ever does happen. ;)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Passion is not complaining.  Love for SDC is not sycophant.  This is a thread that could be about Branson (and the Ozarks) as a whole.  The hillbillies of Eureka Springs appear to have been kidnapped by hippies.  Go there and see for yourself.

It's really hard to listen to "It's Raining Men" in the saloon, too.  And all the cartoon characters that are scheduled for KidsFest.  If SDC is consciously making decisions to attract the public, they must not lose sight that many in the public want to continue the pattern of authenticity that already exists.  We've said all this before, and the same type of honest discussion can be found on their own Facebook pages.

Missouri already has a Six Flags and Worlds of Wonder.  We can see cartoon characters and hear disco music there (and 1980s music as they play at Moonlight Madness - which I never intend to attend).  Take the pattern of changes over the last 20 years, and a diversion from theme is more apparent.

For the record, I'm not really missing the balloons or the carousel.  Those were nothing more than carnival rides that they tried to theme.  My child can climb on similar attractions at Chik-Fil-A or the city park.  I'm happy the little coaster and the ferris wheel were removed years ago.  They never fit.  River Battle fits the theme much better.  A lot of you are sad to see Splash Harbor and the Waterboggan go by the wayside, but I think this is one of the best decisions that has been made.  I never could figure out what the WB was supposed to be.  What was the theme there?  I am really hopeful that the area is themed as has been predicted, and I am excited for the future of the area.

SDC,

These remarks are from your most passionate guests.  Realize this:  we have been your guests for decades, and we feel like we have a vested interest in your property.  Many of us want to work for you; many of us want to live there.  We make our suggestions completely out of love.  If it sounds like whining and complaining, maybe it is - but there is truth in our passion.

HB
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
Please let's leave political statements out of this; you run the risk of offending people. And this is about SDC, not our government.

However, I do agree that we should be proactive. Yes, this is a site for fans, but with every fandom comes the task of deciding whether or not to voice our disagreements.

IMHO, constructive criticism is just as important as positive feedback, if not moreso. The best thing we as fans can do is tell the park what you love and why you are sad that it seems to be going by the wayside. I think such feedback is extremely important.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
In fact, I think some creative merchandising could be done with a Save the Hillbillies campaign.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
That is a great idea, HB!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
"It's Raining Men" playing at the saloon? Oh, please tell me that ain't so! Modern music playing in SDC during Moonlight Madness...Yikes! If that's for real...somebody better strap down Miss Mary in her box, or she'll be rising up like "Night of the Living Dead," and will be attacking management in the head shed.  :'(  We are a passionate group, full of love for SDC. I never intentionally would be disrespectful in any way. We are your repeat customers...5 generations of my family have been to Branson, entertained at a Herschend property. I love the place so much I worked there 7 years.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
Yeah, the modern music during Moonlight Madness really killed it for me. This ain't Worlds of Fun! I mean, at the very least, if they want modern music, play country rock or something.

As for Raining Men.... I will admit I rather get a kick out of it. Course, it could be cause I adore Miss Tilly and absolutely love the beginning of the number.

But... I'd really love to see the show go back to its older premise. I don't dislike the current story, but I really miss the interactions between Charlie, Dusty, Tilly and Belle.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
I think the topic should be dropped for now, until we have reason to actually complain. This is a lot of complaining over nothing, and it will only tarnish our reputation.
Does this mean have have to drop our Top 10 List?? (Sniff. Sniff)   :'( Gosh, and we were off to such a good start! 
In His grip!

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »
I agree that this should not be a place to discuss our government. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed to see the previous comments in that vane. That's one of the great things about the City, and for that matter this website-its NEVER been blatantly used as a political platform-at least not that I know of. The day that it is used for that purpose, I'll be gone faster than you can say WILD WOMEN. Can I get an AMEN from anyone on this?
Avid fan for 42 years.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
There is a section of SDCFans used for benign topics such as sports and off-topic topics.  O don't really read a lot of it, but it is a place where SDCFans with similar interests may discuss those interests.  As long as the discourse is civil, I say go for it.  Otherwise, there are other forums where such discussion is more appropriate.

Does this mean have have to drop our Top 10 List?? (Sniff. Sniff)   Cry Gosh, and we were off to such a good start! 

Don, I think your list was actually pointing out places where SDC has not been afraid to show its true colors.  Anyone who is that easily confused or offended doesn't get the point of this thread.  SDCs irreverent humor of the past and its quirky one-liners and adlibs are one more thing that endears us to it.

PC Change #8:  Out of deference to tall people, the noggin knocker will be removed (using 19th Century mining technology, of course).  In the meantime, Marvel Cave will be closed.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
You know, I think these PC changes ought to have a thread of their own so the pure SDC Ozark humor doesn't get lost in the discussions in of this thread's topic.

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »
Getting back to something at least closer to the topic at hand, those of you who live in the Springfield area might be interested in the local history section of the Springfield Greene County Library on South Campbell Avenue next to Sams Wholesale, just south of James River Expwy. I've picked up some GREAT books about ozarks ghost stories, legends, some funny true and fictional stories, and just plain wild stories of life in the Ozarks 100+ years ago. They also have some great videotapes and DVD's of the early Hillbillies who occupied these Ozark Hills back in that time. I can spend HOURS in that place. SO much great stuff to read.
Avid fan for 42 years.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
PC Change #7:  In the spirit of political correctness some of the annual festivals will have to undergo a name change. 

In the interest of not offending those who enjoy other kinds of music or who are vegans The Bluegrass and Barbecue Festival will now be balanced out by a week-long celebration known simply as "Tunes and Tofu". 

To discourage nationalism and ageism The National Kids Festival becomes "The All Persun's Celebration."

If the City decides to do another Salute to the Great American Cowboy, it will have to be known as the "Salute to Non-gender-specific Bovine Caretakers of the World".

The Southern Gospel Picnic....well, it's gone.

And finally...The Old Time Christmas will henceforth be called "The Winter Solstice Observance".

History Buff wrote earlier:  "Don, I think your list was actually pointing out places where SDC has not been afraid to show its true colors.  Anyone who is that easily confused or offended doesn't get the point of this thread.  SDCs irreverent humor of the past and its quirky one-liners and adlibs are one more thing that endears us to it."

I think you're on to something HB.  As I wrote these, it made me realize how grateful I am that HFE has remained true to its values and beliefs in this age of PC hysteria.  That's one of the reasons I love the place so much. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
Regarding Ozark history and folklore...Stop by the Taneyhills Library in Branson, the College of the Ozarks Library, or come to Fayetteville, AR and go to the University of Arkansas Library Special Collections and check that out. Also the public library at Rogers, AR has a whole room devoted to Ozark studies. You will not be disappointed. I understand Missouri State University at Springfield has a good library of books about the Ozarks. The best known Ozark folklorist and collector was Vance Randolph, who at various times lived at Pineville, MO (McDonald Co.) Galena, MO (Stone Co) and later at Eureka Springs, AR and Fayetteville, AR. Get your hands on his books and  you will belly laugh 'til you gotta run for the bathroom! Also Richard Young and Judy Dockery Young of SDC have written many books on Ozarks folklore and history...many titles are still available, so check them out!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
SDC,

These remarks are from your most passionate guests.  Realize this:  we have been your guests for decades, and we feel like we have a vested interest in your property.  Many of us want to work for you; many of us want to live there.  We make our suggestions completely out of love.  If it sounds like whining and complaining, maybe it is - but there is truth in our passion.

HB

^^^This. So very much this.

Thank you, HB.