Author Topic: Waterboggan  (Read 11202 times)

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Waterboggan
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
Did anyone foresee that the Waterboggan was coming down?

Did the park say anything about it to the general public coming down before shutting it down for the season around labor day last year?

sdcforever

Re: Waterboggan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
We heard rumors on this site about it possibly coming down this off-season around Old Time Christmas.  Those rumors were forgotten until we heard that Splash Harbor was being taken out; then we thought the Waterboggan might also be coming down since that frees up a lot of space at the back of the park.

As for an announcement to the general public, no, there hasn't been one.  There hasn't been one about the Waterboggan or Splash Harbor being removed.  The only big announcement is the addition of RiverBlast (and, of course, the 50th anniversary celebration).  For most visitors to the park, they will realize it when they either walk by that area or look for either attraction on the new park map (which isn't on the website yet).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:44:29 AM by SDC Rules! »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
^Facebook for SDC has confirmed it with photos
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
It is going to be interesting to see people's reactions. It is kind of weird for them to keep so hush about the loss of two huge attractions that people come expecting to do. A lot of people are going to be taken off guard, and River Blast isn't exactly going to be able to make up for the loss of everything that has been taken out in the last two years. I don't know, I've just been thinking all along that there's going to be some level of blow-back this year. I hope 2011 brings everyone back.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
I think River Blast will sufficiently make up for the loss of Splash Harbor, and whatever is coming in where the Waterboggan was will, I'm sure, make up for its loss.

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:15:03 PM »
I think River Blast will sufficiently make up for the loss of Splash Harbor, and whatever is coming in where the Waterboggan was will, I'm sure, make up for its loss.

The problem is that Copper said word around the park is that whatever will be going in where the Waterboggan used to be may be delayed.  He said that spot may be vacant for a while.  So I'm thinking that if that's true the earliest we may see a new attraction there is the 2012 season.  So, like Steve said, if nothing goes in there for 2010 and 2011 there may be a slight backlash.  People may think why take something out and not replace it with something new for two seasons?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
^Yes what is going in where Waterboggan is was delayed because River Blast was delayed.  Waterboggan got an extra year on its life due to the delay.  2010 was supposed to be bringing in something huge there, which coincidentally was to be announced at Coaster Con (big enough hint?).  That area will be filled in 2011.
SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Just a couple of observations: 

1)  Do you really think the waterboggan consistently rated as "one of the things families come to the park to do?"  Was it a real draw?  Not so much in the last couple of years, IMO.  There was a time when the lines would extend all the way down the tower stairs, but those days are long gone.  A small percentage of people may miss it, but not much more.

2)  The waterboggan was dangerous.  Not necessarily in a life threatening way, but scrapes and bruises, some very nasty, were very common to people coming off of it.  It consistently caused a high number of reported incidents, trips to first aid after, and that doesn't begin to reflect the number of unreported incidents.  I'm surprised the ride lasted as long as it did, and frankly, I'm glad it's gone.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
^I have to say, I was scared to death every time I rode it.  We almost flipped the boat over a few times (one of my family members loved trying to do that), and I did end up with some scrapes and bruises.  That being said, that's what I loved about it!  I felt like I was living on the edge. :)

I hope whatever is going in there will be finished by the 2011 season.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:13:08 PM by SDC Rules! »

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
i agree with zephon. glad its gone

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:40:19 AM »
What were you guys doing on the boat to get scraped and bruised?  ;) ;D ???
I rode that ride at least once every time I was there and the ride was open and never received any injuries from it.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
^That may be because you are hard headed. ;)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
No but seriously, are you gus riding with your arms outside the raft or what?  I never got hurt on that ride and honestly do not see how you could get hurt unless you are not following the ride rules and doing something unsafe to get hurt.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
^Like I said, one of my family members was rocking the boat trying to flip it.  So the boat was going very high up the walls, hence the scrapes and bruises.  They were minor, but I got some two or three times.  Didn't happen very often.  And it was definitely not a fault with the ride.  It would go under "not following the ride rules and doing something unsafe to get hurt" category. :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
Doing things the unsafe way is always more fun. Too bad so many of SDC's past attractions don't meet today's insane "safety" demands.

I'm still a lot more upset about the loss of Splash Harbor than the Waterboggin though. I know that River Blast is very similar, but Splash Harbor was so unique and well done. Does anyone know of any special reason it was taken out, besides the redundancy? I'd like to think it died for a better cause than to make way for a Splash Battle. Hopefully it involves making way for something bigger and better.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:41:18 PM by shavethewhales »