Author Topic: SDC's 50th Anniversary Celebration-past performers coming back?  (Read 3795 times)

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
SDC's 50th Anniversary Celebration-past performers coming back?
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
Any word on past performers such as the people who played CARRY A. NATION, The River Rats, etc coming in for the jubilee?
Avid fan for 42 years.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 50th Anniversary Celebration-past performers coming back?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
I personally asked about this last summer in May or June to one of the entertainment department bosses that worked with me during the years I was there. He told me that due to the economy, money was tight...and that anything geared toward the 50th anniversary year would have to be "high impact, but at low cost." So that means that unless current citizens will portray these roles, it won't be done. I would have enjoyed VOLUNTEERING or WORKING CHEAP FOR GAS AND LUNCH MONEY only to have worked on park part time this summer...dressed in a costume and greeting guests and handing out pathfinders, doing some of the ad-lib entertainment from years past, but apparently, no money exists to bring back old employees even in that capacity. It's too bad! I really, really, would have enjoyed doing this in the 50th anniversary year.  :'(
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
Wow that's a severe bummer. But still, the 50th should be a great season. I just wish they'd bring back the ENTIRE Carry A Nation skit back to the Saloon Show. The schtick that went with it was what made it so memorable. They do "Wild Women" and a few old numbers, but I haven't seen the whole thing done as it once was in decades.
Avid fan for 42 years.

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
^^ when I was little that was the skit we used to see at the Saloon all the time and I remember the first time my little brother saw it he was probably 5 or so years old. During the part where the lights turned off and the axe broke the mirror he became terrified and screamed his fool head off. I also seem to remember that there was a parrot involved in the show somehow and my lil bro kept loudly yelling at the parrot to shutup. Or am I mixing memories? Did there used to be a parrot? I'm gonna feel like a fool if not. Lol.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
I think you are right about the parrott. It was "mechanical" and in a cage behind or adjacent to the bar. Forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been 26 years.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
OH MY LORD! Yea there was a parrot...the last time I was at the Saloon last year, I kept thinking about a bird that was in there somehow when I was young LOL! THat's great that you thought of it.
Avid fan for 42 years.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
I just wish they'd bring back the ENTIRE Carry A Nation skit back to the Saloon Show.

I haven't been around long enough to remember that one, but I wish they would bring back the classic "Mean Murphy" skit from about 2002 when we first started going.  I thought the show I saw in 2007 with the two "promoters" in the plaid suits was just dumb and not all that funny. 
In His grip!

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:48:06 AM »
Was reading the local Branson paper and saw where the Haygoods will be returning in April.  It didnt say if it was a one-time only performance or where they would be performing at.  I would imagine with their schedule at their theater it might be very limited at best.

I wonder if any of the other groups in the area that got their start at the park were asked to come back for the celebration?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
The Haygoods are a one time thing on the May 1st weekend.

There was a parrot whose cage hung off of the little balcony above where the piano and drums now reside.  When Carrie Nation entered, he would exclaim "Hang onto your hats, boys, it's Carrie Nation!"  I'm not sure where that parrot is now, though it did hang in Mike Patrick's office (when he was still here) for a number of years.  Again, budget restraints limit the possibility of the Carrie Nation show being done; it needs a somewhat larger cast than what they now employ.  Good show though.

They are bringing back some of the past craftsmen to do special demonstrations.  Pete Engler, woodcarver, and Terry Bloodworth, glassblower, are a couple that come to mind.  I thought it would be cool to have the Baldknobbers out there for a song or two, since they were there on the first day the park opened, but it won't happen.  There is only one of the original brothers still living, Bob Mabe; Lyle passed away just a week or two ago.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
It will be great to see some of the craftsmen from the past.  Wish they would bring back the coin mint.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »
Was reading the local Branson paper and saw where the Haygoods will be returning in April.  It didnt say if it was a one-time only performance or where they would be performing at.  I would imagine with their schedule at their theater it might be very limited at best.

I wonder if any of the other groups in the area that got their start at the park were asked to come back for the celebration?

Yay!  I love the Haygoods!  We already have our reservations for this weekend.  It will probably be crazy-busy!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »
It doesn't surprise me that a few old, popular acts are returning for limited engagements. I think that's great. Hey, where do I sign up for that duty? I'd love to work a little part time this summer dressed in costume and greeting guests, doing some old entertainment bits.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
From Terry Wayne Sanders:
The Employee Reunion will be Saturday, May 1 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m. at the Reunion Hall during Silver Dollar City’s 50th Birthday Celebration!

Lots of fun-filled birthday events will occur throughout the day so be sure to encourage those who are coming to plan on having a blast from open to close.

Half-Price Tickets are available for current & former employees and up to three guests for the May 1, 2010 Celebration. Those who purchase tickets and reserve their space through the Reservation Center will also receive wristbands allowing them the current employee food discount. ... See More

Also available during the Celebration Weekend (April 30 – May 2) current & former employees can purchase Showboat Branson Belle tickets for a special rate.

For more information, visit www.sdcemployee.com or join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/silverdollarcity. Tickets and reservations must be ordered by April 15, 2010 by calling 866-375-7729.

More details will follow regarding other activities during the weekend.

What are you waiting for? Start spreading the news!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park