Author Topic: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride  (Read 47724 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
thats a great story junior...  imagine if they tried that today!  NO WAY!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
question?

when i was down there last week a saw/noticed sign down by the waterrfront,   just east of the new "dugan" sign.    sign was on a trailer/ old wagon or something and said "owens" on it..   Is that new? or has it been redone?

Sorry no pictures. But i wondered if it was new, or if i had just overlooked it before.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »
The Jim Owens name originally used at the float trip, was retired for many years at the park. Later, possibly in homage to the old float trip, the name was brought back for the Jim Owens' Fish Camp restaurant on the Riverfront. You'll probably notice the Jim Owens' waterwagon, too, where you can get a nice cool drink of water. That's located in the Riverfront just a few steps away from the restaurant. The Dugan name, as in Rube Dugan's Diving Bell, has been brought back in the Riverfront area, too. The Dugan Trading Company is the new sign there, and that merchandise shop which is lakeside, will open in a few weeks. By the way, for a rundown on who Jim  Owens was, check out the top entry I made in this thread. You can see float trip photos by clicking on my Flickr site and going all the way back...you will have to wade through some old diving bell photos, too. The Dugan name was something somebody made up. Owens was a real person who was important in Branson history.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
thanks junior,  yes i saw the waterwagon.  looked good!  I thought the whole waterfront area looked excellent! (except of course the closed shops)!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
I've added a float trip gallery on sdcfans.com!  Currently, only one photo posted so give me a bit of time and I will add more photos soon.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
This is the first time that I have gotten to read your story from March Junior.

Wow, what an adventure you had, and you weren’t even on the ride itself! I suppose the guest decided that climbing a tall wall was much more practical than sitting safely in the boat. I can just imagine you scrambling, and trying to juggle a multiple person situation all by yourself. Slapstick comedy at its best I am sure. :D

As you mentioned, the other ride attendants were none the wiser so it worked out so perfectly. Keep up the great work Junior!  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
The float trip photo gallery on the home page now is loaded with photos and is ready for you to enjoy.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
I meant to mention this after our last trip a couple of weeks ago but never got around to it. This post jogged my memory. It's amazing what you can see if you know what to look for. I've probably seen this a couple of dozen times but never paid it a second thought until I joined this forum:

"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
In the White River Region around Branson in the 40's and 50's, Jim Owens was a legend. He started a float trip service catering to visitors who wanted to float along the James and White Rivers for a day, a weekend, even up to a week or two. As a customer, you could fish, snap photos, or lay back and enjoy the scenery. The majority of people taking a trip with Owens' service did it to fish, and the river guides would cook breakfast and supper, with camps being set up on gravel bars on the river. Later on, Jim Owens had several other businesses around Branson. Real estate, a motion picture theater, and so on. Owens became the mayor of Branson. A guy named Paul Henning befriended Owens after taking several float trips. Henning went on to write and produce "The Beverly Hillbillies," "Pettycoat Junction," and "Green Acres." If you catch some of the "Beverly Hillbillies" episodes on TV, you'll notice Paul Henning included references to Jim Owens, Chick Allen, and other Branson area residents. Silver Dollar City honored Owens' when they opened the float trip ride about '68 or '69, and named it for him. The ride allowed families to get in a Jon Boat, and float an Ozark river. I was a "river rat" at the float trip in 1979. I helped load people in and out of boats, and worked the dispatch stand. The float trip is one of the oldest rides at SDC. It was replaced with the American Plunge in 1981. In the line waiting to get on the plunge you can still see some of the old "rock" channels used by the float trip. Currently, the channels are just used to cycle water through the plunge.Some of the old float trip channels were implemented into the American Plunge. Some of the scenes you would view on the float trip included "Echo Rock," (A microphone was hidden and when you hollered out, amplified sound would "echo" back at you.) There was an outhouse on the edge of a low bluff, and when your boat approached the outhouse appeared as if it was going to fall on your boat. There were some hogs slurping out of a moonshine still, and there was a "river gang clubhouse" where the members were fishing and swimming. You passed a river camp, where a river rat had been treed by a bear, an animal haven that had live prairie dogs, goats, or other animals, a swirling whirlpool, and then a dark cave where "ghosts" danced in a hidden underground saloon, and a barrell dump poured a waterall of water along your boat. On the way back around to the dock, a couple of water geysers almost squirted  your boat. It was a gentle, family friendly ride. The theme changed a little bit over the years...at first Jim Owens' "ghost" talked to you about the river, later a woman looked for her hustband and no good friend, and the last few years, the cave had gnomes in it. I've got several pictures of the float trip I hope to scan in the next few days and post on the flickr account, and I'll update this thread when I do so. Tell me your memories of this old favorite ride at SDC.

Veering slightly OT, I've got a small piece of trivia to offer. Pettycoat Junction was based on the Burris Hotel here in Eldon, Missouri where I live. IIRC Henning's wife was a Burris or somehow related to them, and they used to stay in their hotel near the now defunct Rock Island railroad tracks.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
Paul Henning was heavily influenced by his boyhood time in the Ozarks. Just look at the Beverly Hillbillies, Pettycoat Junction, or Green Acres and listen for the references to the Ozarks and Ozarks people.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
I know this thread is old but I found a video on youtube from the 70s that I believe has footage of Jim Owens Float Trip, but I am not sure because the ride predates me. At first I thought it was the FM before the shoot guns were installed but then I realized that FM doesnt go outside in the open like that and there was alot of vegetation......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dpto8afjk
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
That video has been posted around these forums before. It’s still a great clip! If you are talking about the boats at 1:45, and 2:12 that is the Flooded Mine before they added the outside roof.

See reference picture here.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PBZi2jJab0Y/S9n-Gwz4-yI/AAAAAAAAIFA/Iyeqc19Y99A/s1600/SDC-PC-17b.jpg

If you are talking about the ride beginning at 4:39, and picking up again at 6:19, I believe that is the Float Trip. :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
The footage does show the float trip. (I worked at the float trip in '79)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
thanks guys! I am a little late to the cool video party....lol..
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
I know it is off of the Jim Owen's topic, but this brings up a question that does not really warrant a new topic. Does anyone remember when the cover for the FM's outdoor portion was added? I seem to remember it being uncovered for a majority of my youth/ adolescence...but I cannot remember when SDC made the addition! Just think back to the last time you were sprayed by the cannon fire and put a date on it!