Author Topic: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride  (Read 47589 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
The we can do it together predates the figures that are currently in the ride.  I can't place a specific year, early 90s???

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaay before the early 90's.  More like mid 80's believe it or not.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
Does anyone have any links or articles that I could look at involving Jim Owen's Float Trip? That ride came and went before I was even alive.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
Check out my Flickr site for stuff about the float trip...it's buried back on the last few pages...but if  you cruise through all 8 or 10 pages, you'll find all sorts of things about SDC park history from the 70s and 80s, too.

http://wwwflickr.com/photos/juniordugan

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
Don't know what the problem is, but the Flickr link above was not working for me. Try going back to page one of the thread and clicking on my Flickr site there...it's still working.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »

So the "oh no" guy has been gone since the mid-80s?  I don't think I would have remembered that as well if it was that long ago.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 05:14:53 PM »
I really think the theme has always been Ozarkian Daredevils "doing things together".  The whole concept is doing something gutsy with a pal.  Now, if the outhouse was part of the Float Trip, it wasn't changed for years after the ride was converted.  As much as I preferred the outhouse to the current whatever-it-is, I have to admit the current thing fits the theme better.  It is, however, very plastic looking.  More scenes along the trough would be wonderful - or maybe some silly things to read.  I remember the whole route being longer back in the day, but I am apparently remembering the Float Trip and not the log flume.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:15:24 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »

So the "oh no" guy has been gone since the mid-80s?  I don't think I would have remembered that as well if it was that long ago.

Actually, I was referring to the "We Can Do It together" song that's used at the American Plunge.  Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:11:37 PM by betamike »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
The "We Can Do It Together" predates the Ozarkian Daredevil theme.  The Ozarkian Daredevil people were added to the float trip after the guns were added to the Flooded Mine.  When the fake people were added to the AP that is when they did away with the outhouse.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
This is harder than calculus!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
The "We Can Do It Together" predates the Ozarkian Daredevil theme.  The Ozarkian Daredevil people were added to the float trip after the guns were added to the Flooded Mine.  When the fake people were added to the AP that is when they did away with the outhouse.

With all due respect, I still disagree.  There have been changes made, but the daredevils have always "done it together" - I can't cite specific examples, but it seems that one is a guy with his pet raccoon (They have parody names.) who went over Niagra Falls in a barrel.  I remember all of this from my childhood (a long time ago), and really, nothing has changed but the cave, the scenes along the trough, and maybe the removal of the great theme song.  The queue signs and theming is all the same.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »

This makes sense to me because along with reciting "oh no,"  we sang bits of the song as we went up the flume.  I believe the song was still used for awhile with the Ozark Daredevils.  The last few years the ride up the flume has been silent.  In related news, when we rode Powder Keg this week, the song wasn't playing on the lift hill.  I've noticed that a handful of times before.  I like the music for the rides. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 09:53:09 PM »
I found an old profile from the SDC company newsletter from 1978 that spotlighted Hazel and Pearcy Jones, two SDC employees. Pearcy was the last person to serve at the Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride as a "river rat" greeter in front of the old water mill that is now used as atmosphering at the American Plunge water flume ride currently in place at SDC. You can see the article on my Flickr site. The address is on page one at the top of this thread. Hope you like it. Pearcy was a nice guy, admired by all who worked with him.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »
With all due respect, I still disagree.
That is fine and all, but the "We Can Do It Together" DOES predate the characters floating around in the AP.  The signs/paintings represent American feats of heroism, nothing to do with Ozarkian Daredevils.  Before the change over the man caught in the whirlpool was a head with a hand outstretched holding a hat.  There wasn't a dog trying to save him, that was changed when they added the characters. 

I should ask about the music to the AP, wonder if anyone around remembers it.  Also I know that we have the FITH song and can play it in the q-line.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
Thanks, Copper.  I realize how it sounds when someone starts a message with "With all due respect..."  It probably sounds sarcastic and like there really is no respect implied, but that is absolutely not what I intended.

You are correct about the current characters being added years after.  Actually, I don't get anything of the Ozarkian Daredevil theme on AP.  That is to say, I can't tell that's the theme (I wouldn't know that was the theme unless you told me.); to me it looks like the same theme (doing it together) in the queue, with some newer characters supporting the theme during the ride.

I do hope you ask about the music.  It was some of the best music in the City, and it would be great to bring it back.