Author Topic: Aerial View of SDC  (Read 3642 times)

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Aerial View of SDC
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
I typed in SDC on google earth only to find an immense amount of trees! Plus TNT and Echo Hollow.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:13:23 PM by sonthew »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Aerial View of SDC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »
Yeah, the best satellite photo I've managed to capture was a few years ago before they did this newer pass. The pass before it was done sometime in winter-ish months, when all the leaves were gone from the trees. So you can see a bit more. Unfortunately, it wasn't as "hi res" as the newer pass photos.

Joy

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
I've always preferred Bing aerials since they usual have the "bird's eye" option that gives you the helicopter view. Doesn't look like they have that for SDC right now, although I can swear they did before...

Here's the link for bing: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=36.669159~-93.340037&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

looks like their picture was taken in 2005, before GE but after PK.

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
That's pretty cool.  I, like Joy, preferred the older one when the trees were without leaves.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
Yes - it would be nice to see a clear areal view of SDC but it is also awesome to see the large number of trees in the park.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
Geez. Can't believe I forgot I had an entire sub-album of SDC satellite photos on my SDC Photobucket...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/sdc_joy/Satellite/

This includes the more current leafy photos as well as the black and white, kinda fuzzy winter-time photo. I thought I'd managed to grab Google's winter-time pass, but maybe I just haven't uploaded it yet... I'll have to go look through my folders.

Also of interest is the first photo in that album, where using a land ownership dealie online, I outlined all the land that SDC owns. Everything within the red is SDC's land, except the small red box near the top. The blue outline simply indicates where the SDC Wilderness is.

Joy