Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100902 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »
Wow Swoosh!

I can't believe you didn't have school today.  It was only 10 inches.   ;

We had school even though we had that dusting of frozen precipitation.  I'm surprised, really.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
Good grief!  Winter's almost over, and you're still taking snow days.  You guys need to man up.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »
We've YET to have a full week of school since Christmas Break with snow days, teacher in-service early outs and planned off days.  I swear the first we we have a "FULL WEEK" without any interruptions and what-not is going to kill me....

HA!  Looking at my calendar right now, there is not a "normal week" between now and Easter.

Mar 01-05 - Early Out Wednesday
Mar 08-12 - Early Out Wednesday
Mar 15-19 - Early Out Thurs, No School Friday
Mar 22-26 - Band gone Friday to MSHSAA District Contests
Mar 29-31 - Early Out Wednesday for Spring Break.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »
Yikes! The way things have been going this year some of you teachers may be in school through mid-june! Here in northwest Arkansas, a wintery mix is predicted for tomorrow. (Friday, 2/26)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »
I attended the "Distinction in Performance" banquet, last night, and was able to hear Peter Herschend, Vice President of the Missouri School Board (and co-founder/owner of Silver Dollar City) speak.  It was nice to hear his take on education in SW Missouri.  He said:

Two-thirds of our students go to schools that are accredited with distinction.  No other area of the state comes close.  It happens because in our corner of the world, there's a clear understanding of the importance of education and the importance of leadership in education.

Now, if we can just stop overburdening/sacrificing those of us on the front lines...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2010, 10:09:48 PM »
^Did you hear Career Ladder is pretty much dead in the water now.

Thanks for doing all those extra hours, but we ain't paying you squat for it. :(
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »
^We've been promised our district's 60%, but we're still hoping the state will pony up during this election year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »
I didn't stay for that part of the meeting today to see what our district is going to do (since I am not "old enough" yet to be on career ladder).

The good news in our area is that we are going to be getting a bunch of wind turbines (like over 100 or more) and that will bring in a surge of $400,000 a year for the next 20 years.  That will sure help with rennovations and such.  There was even talk about just building a whole new school.  We'll see about that though.  lol
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
We're just starting to hear about budget cuts.  Our district is in a place to weather the storm for a year or two, but some of the rumors are scary.

Bottom line:  more work for less pay, more stress for less professional courtesy

Just tell me when to breathe in and out and how to sit in my chair - boy, is retirement that far away???

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
Well Governonr Quinn stated today that in next fiscal year which begins in July, the school districts are looking at a 17% cut from their budget.

Of course some of the school districts are looking at eliminating ag classes and art and music classes from the curriculum next year.

I would vote for a tax raise to save the schools.  Right now the state owes our school district $811,000.

How did we get in the mess and when will it end.  I say put more money into education and less into corrections.  I taught ABE in a medium security male prison and my budget for supplies for just my classroom was $2000, where a regular school teacher had a budget of $50 to $100 dollars for their classroom.

Well, I will step down from my soap box now. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
Of course some of the school districts are looking at eliminating ag classes and art and music classes from the curriculum next year.

They can't legally do that in Missouri.  I honestly do not think it is legal anywhere else either.  DESE has pretty strict rules anymore about cutting the arts.
SWOOSH

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
I do hope you are correct.  In the bigger school districts I could see them trimming some of the programs.

But we have only 2 art teachers that take care of all the schools and 3 music/band teachers in our district.

The trouble is there cuts everywhere and if you have a job you better not leave it.  I just hoping that I have enough years in to avoid a layoff.  I can handle furlough days at least I get to keep my insurance.

Maybe Rod (fired ex-Governor) can donate some of his money from the Apprentice.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2010, 08:35:37 PM »
Illinois?
Good luck getting anything accomplished over there with their NEA.

Luckily over here we have MSTA and people actually willing to work for the teachers.
SWOOSH

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »
Illinois yes and no.  Most politians forget about Southern Illinois.  They sometimes think Illinois ends at Springfield.

I just do not think they will approve the budget as it stands now.  We can only hope for the best and hope we are not too disappointed with what we get.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I would vote for a tax raise to save the schools.

Yeah?  They like to hold schools hostage in order to raise taxes, don't they?  I feel so used!

Luckily over here we have MSTA and people actually willing to work for the teachers.

Amen!  A moral alternative to the NEA.