Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168551 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Stocked up today at the antique mall...4 postcards for $1.25. I got Rustic Oak Best Western Branson (Hotel near the landing on the hill), Silver DOllar Jubilee @ Echo Hollow and The Frisco train  (both large scale postcards (and the fourth was a random StL Art Museum!).

I can’t wait to see those!  :)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #556 on: November 28, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »
Stop typing and start posting! Sounds like some great finds.

Yeah. Come on Ebeneezer. Let's see 'em.  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »
OOOOOOkay....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Ah yes, the famous "Stage Curtain" at the cave...remember the Ethel Merman version of America the Beautiful while a slide or short film of a waving American Flag was flashed upon the rock wall? Classic roadside Americana, circa the 1960s and 70s!  And that lovely picture of the "brand new" Grand ole Opry House in Nashville at the Opryland theme park! It was country, when country wasn't cool! Thanks Rube, post some more shots of that collection, please!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 29, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
That is some nifty detail on that stein.  I can hardly believe I've never made it to Meramec Caverns.  And I'm still upset over the loss of Opryland.  It was a fantastic park and the first place I ever rode a "big kids" coaster.  The Rock N Roller Coaster....awesome.  Been hooked ever since.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #560 on: November 29, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
That stein is way cool. I've never made it to Meramec Caverns either, but it's on my short list. BTW Rube, I was just razzin' ya about being Scrooge. I really appreciate the time you spend to share your treasures with us.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 29, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
No blood, no foul! I have been spread even thinner lately. Doing a few art works for some folks ( a story in itself) planning a huge art work , balancing work which is a chore these days being that I was just added one more course in my day to teach, home ( yet another story!) and my SDC is how my usual day goes ! I have a few pieces set aside to try to scan tomorrow... I hope to get to it by 4 pm( quittin time !) stay tuned

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »
Where was this store that you got these at?
I've been to several antique stores and I've never seen anything like them!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 30, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »
Tiff, since you live at Stanton, all you got to do is look around a bit harder. There has to be tons of that stuff in flea markets around your area. Keeping looking, and have fun! Look for SDC stuff too, there is a lot of it out there.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 30, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
@Tiffany-I dont think you have learned yet that Mr Rube Dugan there falls into this stuff. All he has to do is sneeze and poof cool stuff appears. I think little shoe cobbling leprachans come out and magically lay awesome stuff out for him......the winner. ugh.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 30, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
I have a honey hole that I dip into. It is a routine for any weekday I happen to be off of work, go grab lunch, and go comb the shelves and hopefully come home happy!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #566 on: December 01, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
My aunt and I take a few Saturdays every couple of months to go to thrift stores, antique malls, flea markets as our little "together time", but I've never seen anything from Meramec Caverns or SDC! Maybe I just don't know where to look.  ???
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 02, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »
I went to many garage sales this summer and came up totally empty handed on SDC/ Branson/ Ozark items. Not even as much as a Hillbilly toothpick holder or a plastic souvenir Dixie Stampeed Boot mug...needless to say I will be sticking to the flea markets and antique stores. The antique stores tend to be a bit pricey though, so if you can find flea market items usually it is easier on the pocketbook.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 04, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
I heard about another place I could try for a few items that I might try to get out to this afternoon...while you are waiting for that, and for me to find a new driver for our scanner (the one we have is missing or corrupt! so no new images until then!!!) enjoy this other item Before it was Hillside Pottery...it was crossroads pottery. I like the men sitting on the porch of the facade next door playing music (this is tiny's chair repair). This is what is missing in the park today, the little touches around that create the ambiance, and playful atmosphere. I would gladly strap on my axe, and sit and play as people walked past! I'd be great for directions, or storytelling about the parks past...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 04, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
this appears to be an early to mid 70s shot. the little building down at the bottom of the picture was the basketweaving shop at the time. Same one where Granny and Ellie Mae visited a few years prior. I do remember muscians playing on the porch there. A different time, and a more quiet and relaxed time. Thanks for sharing.