Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168398 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
Wayback set for a time when the stagecoach was not just for special occasions in the park. This was a request from Ozark BBQ for the SDC Art.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:22:37 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
Good stuff, Rube!
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
your collection never ceases to amaze me rube!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #528 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »
Awesome picture Rube!

I wish they still did this today. Who needs fancy rollercoasters when you can take a ride on a real Stagecoach?  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
They bring it ,or one very similar to it, out on special occasions, and different festivals. By my time the rides had ceased, so my only enjoyment on it was playing,a ndgetting annual photographs of me and my sister in the stagnant coach.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 27, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
While working on my compilation for my items I am often asked why I do what I do. Why do I collect items from my youth, and before me? What do I need them for? Here is my explanation. I know I am preaching to the choir on this one.

I am a history teacher (among other things) and I am worried. Our modern 21st century society, and even this website is not a timeless medium. We know so much about the ancient cultures, past societies, and history because of the recorded information being placed on items that, for the most part have stood the test of time. Our descendants and theirs and so on, will not have the evidence of our civilizations/ society to the extent that we have the items from our predecessors. I still send postcards, write letters, read hard copies of books, and print photographs from film. These all will cease to exist in our paperless, online web based society. I know it is ironic that I am stating this here, on a web site; but it is the idea that through this medium I can share some of these items that have been markers of our time , what we have been through and seen, and those who came before us. Think of all the items the millions of people passing through have purchased. Where are they now?

Think of our children sorting through our belongings when we move along to our big SDC in the sky. They will come across photos, letters, books, tangible items that will be too cumbersome for them, and like many others discard them. Why keep this if I have it digitally? Why hold onto the larger, the slower, or the not so new? Buy the smaller, quicker, the newer. Condense.

I keep my items not because I am a pack rat or a hoarder, but because I can feel connected, and bonded with my past, and have the memories rush back to me. Connections that I, being raised in a time when technology was many years away, cannot feel with e-readers, and text messages. How would our lives be if we did not have these things? Ask a kid to use a map instead of an app, or dial a phone that has no send button or a cord (or better yet a rotary), ask them to use a dictionary instead of spell check, Or spend hours at the library until closing time to try to research for the term paper you had to type on a typewriter, or basic word processor.  They make life easier, but at what cost. Are we becoming too lazy, and fostering the immediate gratification of everything? What happened to waiting for your photos on 35mm, never knowing if the show you missed would be on re-runs, having to find the right track before you dropped the needle.

Books have been replaced by tablets
Postcards by text messages
Photographs with Jpegs/ Images

My collection is a testament to what will eventually disappear from our lives, and an example of one persons small contribution to a passion that many have. I will compile the things of mine into a comprehensive piece so I can make my small difference. I keep so I can spread the knowledge, I keep because I cannot see these lost to time, I keep so I will not forget.

pintrader

« Reply #531 on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Every year on the news they talk about this year's college graduating class.  What was going on when they were born, what they have experienced in their life, what new technology has been developed and what they have missed.  This year really made me think when they said "The graduating class this year probably have never dialed a rotary phone".  That really makes a person think!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 27, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
Rube, i just read you previous statement about "newer not better"...

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!     enuf sed!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 30, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
My Dad went coin shooting at a resort on Table Rock Lake this summer and found a few dollars worth of change, and one great item (that I very quickly claimed as mine!). The complex known as 76 Mall and is now Grand Country on Hwy 76 in Branson, MO (the place with the really large banjo). There was a Bonanza restaurant, an indoor putt putt  course, several shops, shows, and a few other things.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:33:52 PM by rubedugans »

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »
cool hang onto that,  not sure if its worth anything but very cool.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
rube, how do you always seem to fall into awesome stuff?? let me rub your tummy for your amazing good luck!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
Rube... Coin shooting?  explain please.. ???

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
Coin shooting is looking for coins after an event involving many people, like a baseball game, or simply looking for any old coins. Serious coin shooters will spend hours, days and months doing historical research to locate long lost sites that have the potential to give up historical and collectible coins.

This is different than prospecting-looking for precious metals, general detecting-looking for artifacts, and beach combing-$ or jewelry on a beach

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
Feeling nostalgic...how bought a good stage coach photo? Not sure if I posted it before...but I like this one so deal with it! Those were the days right sis?
I have yet to post the train car that used to be next to the TinType shop...maybe later this week if I get to scanning it!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:54:23 AM by rubedugans »

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
wow rube thanks i remember that and had my picture taken in that stagecoach many times, totally forgot about that coach. thank you again!!