Author Topic: ride height requirements  (Read 12329 times)

dlott

• View Profile
ride height requirements
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:31 PM »
How strictly are the ride height requirements enforced?  Our girl is 35" tall.  Not many rides for someone less then 36".  We went to Disneyland last year when she was 32" and she could ride tons of rides, many of the same rides that SDC has, just renamed.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: ride height requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14:36 PM »
They're fairly strict, but it all depends on exactly how close she is and who is doing the measuring. So go ahead and try each ride, and if you aren't allowed to ride chances are you'll be given one of the famous tokens that allows you to come back next year when she's tall enough and get a free pass to the front of the line.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
Something that I found pretty interesting is that I tried to let me 4 and 2 year olds ride the butterflies by themselves. My oldest is definitely over the "ride by yourself" requirement, and I measured my youngest at home and he appeared to be right at 36" or so. However, the guy measured him, and he said he was too short to ride without an adult. We went and measured him ourselves after the ride and sure enough, he was like an inch and a half short or something. I thought that was weird, but just thought I measured him wrong at home.

So last week we were in San Antonio, and we went to Sea World. Measuring him again, Sea World's chart had him barely below 36".  He was wearing the same shoes both times, and these times were only a couple weeks apart.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »
I would definitely say try to ride each of the rides that you think your child should be able to ride!!!

Most rides should have a little gizmo that you place on top of the child’s head and against the measuring stick so you can see for sure.

Height requirements most often come from the ride manufacturer itself. They dictate what is safe and then the parks can move things around to be safer. HFE is one of the safest companies in the industry.

Also: this can be confusing to guests- Just because they are tall enough doesn’t mean they are old enough. Fire in the Hole- the height requirement is 36”, but if you are under eight you need someone twelve or older to ride with you. If the ride shuts down inside the building the child needs someone there to help. After all the ride operators are not baby sitters.

Hope this helps!

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »
Salad-You are correct.  We have also found the measuring sticks at SDC to be inaccurate.  Both from home measuring and the doctors office.  A friend mentioned the same thing last week. 

Anyway, if they are not 37 at least, they won't be able to ride 36in rides. 

"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
Fire in the Hole’s is an accurate 36.” I guess maybe there are magic cheating rulers out there?

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:42:25 AM »
Sorry copper, should have specified.  The rides in the GE are not right.
DD could ride FITH before the ladybugs height wise and it is the same height requirement.

At least it made her fall in love with FITH before any other ride. 

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Salad-You are correct.  We have also found the measuring sticks at SDC to be inaccurate.  Both from home measuring and the doctors office.  A friend mentioned the same thing last week. 

Anyway, if they are not 37 at least, they won't be able to ride 36in rides. 

Thanks for letting me know. I figured something wasn't right.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
I will say something not sure how good it will do. I haven't really looked at the GE's measuring sticks!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
It has always amazed me that the same kid, previously too short, can wear taller shoes and suddenly be allowed to ride.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
I too have had problems recently with the GE..  My daughter rode the Wave Carousel several times last year and already this year but now she is 1/2 inch too short.  We rode the ride once got back in line and then she was too short.  I talked to the Person in charge of the Ride opps in that area.   I can not remember his name now to save my life but I told him I was not angry because she was too short.  I was angry that there is no consistency.  I have noticed that a lot of the ride height guides are no longer yard sticks like they used to be but are printed stickers that look like yard sticks.  I think that they might be stretching these a little as they put them on or something.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »
It has always amazed me that the same kid, previously too short, can wear taller shoes and suddenly be allowed to ride.

Yeah, some friends of me and my wife did this with one of their daughters.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:32 AM »
This is an area where I would not push my luck.  If the kids are too short as they are, then so be it.  Better safe than sorry. 

Besides my son might look funny in high heels ;)

I had not thought about the rulers being stickers...an excellent point.  Regardless of whether the kid is too short or not, they should at least hit the same spot on the ruler.

dlott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replys.  It appears that my little girl will not be able to ride many rides.  :(  Hopefully she will still be able to enjoy the rest of SDC.

Dan

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »
How tall is she? 
Several of the rides she can ride with an adult even if she is not 36in.  If that is the case, you will probably get sick of being cramped into the back of a caterpillar and hopping in frogs.  But the kids love it!