Author Topic: How was your trip?  (Read 46101 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: How was your trip?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
I loved how the line for the Opera House stretched all the way up Hill Street to Christmas Junction.  It was crazy insane.  Never have seen it that long.  IF you wanted to see the Acrobats you basically had to stand in line for 2 hours to do so.
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
We're home now.  We went in today for awhile.  We wanted to see Feet of Fire since we decided not to wait for it yesterday.  It was ok.  I would've liked to have seen more dancing.  I suppose they have to rest sometime, though.

Again, we only rode Flooded Mine since my husband didn't ride any of the thrill rides without me.  We will ride those later in the season.

We did get to ride a new tram today.  It does have plenty of room for your head, doesn't it?

SteamFreak

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »
We just couldn't beleave it, we only rode the american plunge, the line was the longest I had seen one this year, as we were waiting we watched an evac from wildfire, which really made the lines swell. We just bought a couple of skillet bowls and went to the homestead pickers show, those guys are great.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
Couldn't see the show in the Opera House....at one hour before the last show the line was all the way down to close to Wildfire's entrance.

All the buses were from middle school kids. There was a band competition at College of the Ozarks, and everyone apparently decided to go to SDC.

I thought the Feet of Fire show was pretty good myself, although I do like that sort of thing.

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
Visited the park on Friday 4/24 and Sunday 4/26 - Friday was busy but not unbearable (lots of schools visiting that day so lots of kids on rides), Sunday was busy too but not terrible. Did hear from friend in one of the shops that Saturday was VERY busy. The weather was perfect though. Took a lovely hike at Henning on Saturday morning and then spent the afternoon braving the crazy crowds at the shopping malls around the area.  >:(

Angela

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »
I took a friend to the City who has never been before on Saturday.  Despite the amazing amount of kids running around we had a pretty good day.  We were on Wildfire during the evacuation.  First ride of the day to! haha.  I was really impressed with how well they handled the evacuation.  I felt safe the whole time.  Plus we had two little boys next to us that kept us entertained!  All in all we had a pretty great day.

amazonman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
I cant wait to go this year.Hopefully in June or July

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
Still think that your attendance is going to be down this year SDC?
I still think you should have finished the ride.

On the other hand, doesn't it prove that they didn't need to make the investment to see the crowds swell?

One complaint...why in the heck is there only one guy running both the Happy Frogs and the Ladybugs?  It creates some really bad lines for an age group that is not very patient.

There are often irate parents because of this, too.  The parents have to entertain those 3-4-year-olds while they're in the lines.  Twenty kids can be waiting in line for the HF and they have to wait for one kid to ride the LBs.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
Still think that your attendance is going to be down this year SDC?
I still think you should have finished the ride.
On the other hand, doesn't it prove that they didn't need to make the investment to see the crowds swell?

Well then what's the excuse for last year when they didn't add anything either?
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »
I'm a little late posting, but I've been busy going thru my vacation pics of the past week, including trips to Dogpatch.  I was at the city the 17th, 18th (when the doors opened after the show, the downpour had begun, and watched the new parking lot washing over the road), and the 25th, a very crowded day, w/o the extreme amount of basketball bouncing in Grandfather's Mansion!   ;D  With all the shows & rides with long lines, it allowed me to sit back and chat with many of the "seasoned" folks at the city, which was quite a joy, not to mention finding out Mr. Johnson was once a neighbor, many years ago.  I look forward to my next visit, hopefully this coming weekend.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

barnswingfan

• I could ride the Giant Barn Swing for hours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »
What happened on Wildfire... why was it evacuated?
 ???
I took a friend to the City who has never been before on Saturday.  Despite the amazing amount of kids running around we had a pretty good day.  We were on Wildfire during the evacuation.  First ride of the day to! haha.  I was really impressed with how well they handled the evacuation.  I felt safe the whole time.  Plus we had two little boys next to us that kept us entertained!  All in all we had a pretty great day.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
There are often irate parents because of this, too.  The parents have to entertain those 3-4-year-olds while they're in the lines.  Twenty kids can be waiting in line for the HF and they have to wait for one kid to ride the LBs.

Yeah, although every busy day I've gone there have always been two operators.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
Although the forecast called for 100% rain Saturday, we stayed perfectly dry! We arrived about 2:00pm and stayed well into the evening, it was crowded with school groups, any some unruly kids. Sunday was wonderful. Despite a mist in the morning, we had a great time. We were able to see the second to last church service before Pastor Deeds(former SDC sheriff). It was a tear jerker, members of the homestead pickers were in attendance recording the whole thing for some purpose. All around a great time at the park, and unfortunately like always I am back to the daily grind tomorrow-wishing I was still at SDC!
(Here is one of my first attempts at being a photographer on my old Kodak 110 camera in about 1987/88!)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:56:46 AM by rubedugans »

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »
What happened on Wildfire... why was it evacuated?

Quote from: HollyAnn on April 27, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

From what I could figure out,  the train going into be unloaded got stuck so they had to stop us on the climb up to the first drop.  We made it probably about a third of the way up when it stoped.  They never really told us a for sure reason why it stopped.  Just glad we weren't further on into the ride!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:55:54 AM »
Visited on Saturday, May 3rd. but waited until 4 because of the rain. Only got to ride Thunderation and the line was long due to the school group and the fact that they only ran one train. Took grandson to the Grand Expostition with the hope he had grown enough to ride the bigger rides, still an inch short.  He was able to ride  the frogs and bugs with an adult but I was unable to get the seat belts over my legs so my daughter had to ride with him. Just where do those basketball come from?
SDC has always made a great past to remember