Author Topic: Danny Eakin retiring  (Read 2134 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Danny Eakin retiring
« on: May 01, 2023, 03:40:02 PM »
 I saw on the Homestead Pickers Facebook page that Danny Eakin has announced that he will be retiring at the end of October.  :(

Those are some big, big shoes that won't be filled. Danny represents SDC to a whole lot of folks. I'll be sad to see him go, but wish him the best on his retirement.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Danny Eakin retiring
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 08:45:11 PM »
Sad news. Knew it was coming one of these years. Glad to know theres one summer left.

Almost fitting he’s going out with fire in the hole as the park continues to shed the original theme.

Homestead Pickers really are one of a kind, you don’t just find them anywhere.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »
Well that sucks for us. I hope he has a happy retirement, but he and the rest of the Pickers are pretty much irreplaceable.

SDC already feels different since Cedric/Cajun Connection left, even though they were never really part of the whole 1880's Missouri theme, lol. You can't just lose a long time piece of the culture like that and expect it to be the same. Not sure what the park can do about it, but I hope they seek out other performers to take up residence.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 06:36:31 PM »
 Walt Morrison will replace him.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 11:03:25 PM »
Well that sucks for us. I hope he has a happy retirement, but he and the rest of the Pickers are pretty much irreplaceable.

SDC already feels different since Cedric/Cajun Connection left, even though they were never really part of the whole 1880's Missouri theme, lol. You can't just lose a long time piece of the culture like that and expect it to be the same. Not sure what the park can do about it, but I hope they seek out other performers to take up residence.

While one can attribute it to "progress" SDC in retrospect has really been feeling different for a decade now. Though I have noted it has really accelerated since JoDee died and Pete has gotten reclusive. I remember often bumping into them at the park during my visits. I think the last time I ever saw him was in 2018.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 09:38:56 AM by sdcfan88 »

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 08:08:07 AM »
I'm not mentally prepared to lose Danny Eakin and Fire in the Hole in the same year. Terry Sanders better stick around for a few more years!!

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 09:04:19 AM »

If Walt replaces Danny then who replaces Walt... ;)  He very well could replace him as the main spokesman & comedy piece of the band.  The way I understand it they would like to get someone to replace him but they were not sure if SDC would approve it or not.  They definitely could replace him with someone but it would be very difficult to replace the overall talent that Danny brought to the band.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

If Walt replaces Danny then who replaces Walt... ;)  He very well could replace him as the main spokesman & comedy piece of the band.  The way I understand it they would like to get someone to replace him but they were not sure if SDC would approve it or not.  They definitely could replace him with someone but it would be very difficult to replace the overall talent that Danny brought to the band.

Thanks, Pintrader.  What I wrote was not what I meant - It should've read "I wonder if Walt Morrison will replace him."  That's what I get for typing while standing in line.  Danny will be sorely missed.

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »
 Just poking some fun at ya Gilligan!  I sure hate to see him retire but I understand and wish him all the best.  I guess I will be up there clapping & supporting them no matter what direction they decide to take.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
Today is Danny Eakin's last day. End of an era at SDC. Some of my best memories are watching him and the Homestead Pickers.

Best of luck to you, Danny!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 02:40:20 PM »
^ Agree!  When our son was little he used to call Danny the "No Piddling Man" because when Danny was in the 1997 video that SDC did one of the homestead women sent him off to do an errand and told him "Come back soon. And remember- No Piddling!"  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry